“Good for a Stop Over”
Review of The Washington

The Washington
Ranked #30 of 39 Hotels in Bristol
Reviewed 24 September 2013

I share the opinions of my Tripadvisor colleagues Chloe B, and Kev E, The Washington is a little drab and dated, and the rooms could be much improved. Having said all that you will go a long way to find a more convenient location for Bristol night-life. The staff are friendly, and the rates are competitive. My wife and I travelled with our dog so it is likely that the room provided was not the most palatial but it was clean and comfortable.
The Washington goes back to the 1960-1970's and has no resemblance to the likes of the Premier Inn etc., But if your demands are not exacting and you need a room for a short time then this may well fit the bill. Would I stay again? yes I would. Would I take my mistress - No
Big Down side - No Evening restaurant or Bar.

• Stayed: September 2013, travelled as a couple
1  Thank terry s
WashingtonManager, Manager at The Washington, responded to this reviewResponded 30 September 2013

Dear "Terry S",

Thank you for taking the time to review the Washington - all feedback is valuable to us and is used to improve our service for future guests.

I am pleased that, in general, your stay at the Washington was a positive one! I'm sorry that you found our lack of bar/restaurant to be a let down - we are a Guest House and not a hotel, so do not offer this facility. We do, however, have a great restaurant at our sister hotel just 40 metres away where Washington guests do get a 15% discount when dining. I always think this means we get the benefit of a restaurant without any of the noise associated with one!

We are working hard at the Washington to update our facilities and decor. It is an ongoing project but I can assure you that all feedback gets used to choose what is most important to tackle.

I do hope that we will see you back at the Washington in the near future.

Joanna Tiernay

Reviewed 9 September 2013

We chose the Washington for it's location and purely down to the fact that other hotels were fully booked for the night we required. We booked in for a nights stay after moving my daughter to the area and were greeted by extremely friendly staff on arrival who were very helpful. The rooms are basic and do need a lick of paint. The breakfast and staff were excellent, although again the breakfast room does need a bit of TLC! We paid £70 for the night which isn't bad but I do think you will get more for your money by paying a bit more at another hotel but we just needed somewhere to put our head down so it did the job. Also, our rooms were in the basement next to the breakfast room and so there was quite a lot of noise early in the morning. So, don't expect a lot as it is pretty basic but the staff really done it for us, they were great.

Room Tip: Avoid the 2 rooms in the basement if you want a lay in!!!
  • Stayed: September 2013, travelled with family
1  Thank Kev E

Dear "Kev E",

Thank you for taking the time to review the Washington after your recent stay.

I am thrilled that you found the staff made your stay - I have passed this feedback onto all concerned where it was received warmly! We work hard on the service side of our business so I'm very pleased to hear it is paying off!

We have a rolling refurbishment at the Washington to address some of the areas you thought needed a bit of TLC. It is a tricky project as we are often full due to our fair rates and great breakfast! I do hope you would consider picking us first on your next trip to Bristol - it is my hope that you would see an improvement on your last visit.

As a final note, we are always very happy to allocate rooms away from the more noisy areas should guests wish to sleep in!

Joanna Tiernay

Reviewed 7 September 2013

This hotel was fine for us for one night. £70 isn't exactly cheap for a 2star hotel to be honest, and charging you for parking is pretty bad, when its not stated beforehand to you.
Rooms were clean, biscuits and hot drinks available were a nice touch and they were free also. A,l in all, I would stay again if we were in bristol. Our lock broke in the evening unfortunately, but they were very apologetic and on the case straight away. It was a nice little b&b and the full English was good too.

• Stayed: August 2013, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 29 August 2013

Booked an overnight stay here for a few reasons - 1, we were due to dine at River Cottage Canteen which isn't far up Whiteladies Road. 2, it was super cheap and as we were only going to need the room for 10 ish hours, wasn't totally bothered by mixed reviews.
Got the no. 9 bus from Temple meds station which dropped us within a 5 minute walk from the hotel (city centre is a good 20 minute walk, train station a lot further). Outside, appearances are in need of a tidy up but reception was bright, airy and clean. We were greeted with a warm welcome and checked in swiftly. Breakfast and check out times were explained and we went to our ground floor room, a few paces away from the reception area - Room 10. The room was an excellent size and very light. The décor is dated but it was clean. The net curtains were ripped in places and patched up with sellotape...this I didn't like. The fruit basket was a small bowl containing 2 apples and an orange, a nice touch but don't advertise it as something it isn't! Tea/coffee/biscuits etc were all fine. The room was hot (but it was a hot day in mid aug) so we opened the large sash window (which was unlockable due to broken lock...also didn't like this as we were ground floor and had laptop in room). The ensuite bathroom was clean but basic...a chip on the toilet seat and a chip on the enamel of the bath. The shower was functional, that's the only way I could describe it!
When we left to go out, we had to leave our key. I have issues with this. How do I know that someone isn't going to walk into the hotel, ask for my room key and go and help themselves to my belongings? When we returned, sure enough a different girl was on the desk...she hadn't seen us before so how did she know we were really staying in room 10...maybe it's just me but I felt glad we had hidden our laptop very safely!!
A reasonably good nights sleep was followed by an excellent breakfast. Service was efficient and welcoming with a choice of cereals, fruit, yogurt, juices and pastries and then cooked items to choose from...I ate far too much but was set up for the day!
We checked out within seconds and came away reasonably happy. We'd only paid £45 for B&B on Laterooms so we weren't expecting the Ritz so for the money it was fine, just touch up those little things that can make all the difference.

Room Tip: We had a ground floor room facing the car park which had no noise.
  • Stayed: August 2013, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 3 August 2013

We've happily stayed at The Clifton in the past but a very cheap rate offered at The Washington was too good to miss whilst visiting our son in the area. So you get what you pay for but we certainly didn't expect the dirty, moth-eaten carpet in our room below stairs. We dare not take our shoes off so if you're staying in Room 5 - take slippers. The curtain rail also fell down as we opened the curtains so expect to do some diy and the cotton wool looking stuff on the bedspread wasn't me - honest, it was there when we arrived.

Room Tip: Ask about the state of the carpet in the room you're being booked in to.
  • Stayed: August 2013, travelled with family
Reviewed 30 July 2013

goodish inexpensive accommodation with excellent breakfasts.but the hotel needs a complete makeover i think.will stay regularly as it is convenient for my purpose.parking isnt brilliant but there is asmall car park at the rear.nice area of bristol close to where i lived when i was a student.

Room Tip: aim for a room at the back away from traffic
  • Stayed: July 2013, travelled solo
WashingtonManager, Manager at The Washington, responded to this reviewResponded 31 July 2013

Dear "Michael H",

Thank you for reviewing the Washington - I am pleased to hear that you are returning to stay with us and that you are enjoying our full English breakfasts!

As you are a regular guest with us, we would be more than happy to show you a couple of rooms so that you can choose the one you prefer for the remainder of your stays - please just ask reception when you rebook and they will be very happy to assist you.

Parking, as you say, can be tricky in this very popular area of Bristol but as failsafe, we do have our own car park at the rear for just £6 per night - please just ask reception is you would like to make use of this.

Joanna

Reviewed 30 July 2013

Celebrating our son's graduation in Bristol, we advance booked three double rooms for one evening at the preferential rate. We would be the first to admit the place is in need of some serious investment but for what was required it ticked all our boxes. The laundry was clean, the en suite facilities did not job, there were ample tea and coffee making ingredients available and the staff, from the receptionist to the housekeeper could not have been more obliging. We also took advantage of the cheap parking Another plus is that it's only a short walk to the city centre. . Had we been staying much longer we would probably sought somewhere a little bit more up market but for our needs it was ideal. Also, may we add that heeded by a previous visit to the Washington a year ago, we decided to enjoy breakfast at a café in Clifton. Would we return? For one or two nights without any hesitation.

Room Tip: room 44 on the second floor was the best of the three we booked. Quieter and much more roomy than mo...
  • Stayed: July 2013, travelled with family

Dear "Len G",

Thank your taking the time to review the Washington - I am very pleased to hear that you would return to us when next in Bristol!

I am particularly pleased that you picked up on all the little extras we put in the rooms to enhance our guests' stay. As mentioned in your review, we have rooms of all shapes and sizes due to nature of the conversion of our Grade 2 listed property - we are always happy to allocate rooms according to a guest's need. Please do feel free to contact us prior to your next stay and we will arrange for the rooms you request to be available.

Joanna