“Not a nice experience”

Ranked #30 of 38 Hotels in Bristol
Bolzano, Italy
“Not a nice experience”
Reviewed 20 August 2008

This is my second review as the first one has not been published. I found staff at reception and in the breakfast room friendly. The fruit in the room was nice too although I found the room rather noisy. I did have a massive problem though when on the day I checked out all my luggage disappered from the reception area. I had asked the receptionist whether it was possible to leave it there till I was going to pick it up in the afternoon. She agreed but when I came back it had all gone!! Things can happen but I specifically object to the way management has dealt with it all. I think that they should have offered to give me money for everything that has been stole. I was incredibly dissapointed..

Best wishes from Ulrike from Italy

• Liked — The fruit
  • Disliked — Management
  • Stayed July 2008, travelled with family
    • Check-in / front desk

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (150)
London
Reviewed 24 July 2008

Booked into the Washington for 1 night stay for the Bon Jovi concert at Ashton Gate. Having seen some dubious reviews on here and other sites, I was not expecting anything amazing but the hotel really exceeded my expectations. The room was nice and clean with plentiful supply of fruit, tea, coffee and biscuits. Didnt have any noise problems, checking in and out was a breeze, booked to have breakfast in our room due to an early start and was impressed with the English & continental breakfast.
The main plus point was the staff, they were superb. They went the extra mile, ensuring we had a cab to the venue and even when we got back late from the gig and had forgot to get a drink for the night, the receptonist went and got us one for nothing which was a very nice touch.
We have great trouble getting back to the hotel from Ashton Gate, and I didnt think much of the stadium itself after visiting some nice stadiums on the Jovi tour, but luckily the hotel and its surroundings were a high point of our short stay in Bristol.

Managed to get a car parking space, but the car park did seem rather small, although some spaces are used by a local company in the daytime so these I guess were freed up later.

Whilst not having a restaurant in the hotel, there is availability at Racks (I believe that is what it is called) at a hotel just up the road, although we struggled to find anything suitable on the menu, and would advise people to go to Whiteladies Road instead, just a few minutes walk in the other direction from the hotel where there are plenty of bars and restaurants. The hotel is a short (ish!) walk from Bristol Zoo too, which was nice to kill a bit of time before the concert.

If you are staying for an event at Ashton Gate, be warned when we went for Bon Jovi the traffic around the stadium was absolutely horrendous. And our major problem was getting a cab home- we should have asked for a local cab number because we ended up lost in the middle of nowhere with no way of getting back to the hotel! Eventually found a local-ish cab firm number and got back to the hotel, but that was a major nightmare!

But there was nothing negative about out hotel experience from start to finish, even though it was only for 1 night I was very impressed. If I found myself having to go to Bristol again I would definitely try the Washington Hotel again. We paid approx £65 for our room for 1 night, plus £3 for car parking.

• Liked — Staff were very helpful
  • Disliked — Nothing Negative experienced, although parking seems to be at a premium if the small car park becomes full
  • Stayed June 2008, travelled as a couple
london
Reviewed 3 July 2008

Stay at this hotel was a bit of a nightmare, i specificly told the hotel receptionist i was working nights and could the maids not disturb myself or my colleagues in another room that were also on nights. Dont know what nationality the maids and other staff are but speaking to each other at a volume that woke me up and the room next door was a bit much.i had to physically get out of bed to tell them to be quiet. When i pay this kind of money for a hotel i expect the staff to be a lot more aware of guests needs. Room and everything else was fine but staff were not the best.

• Stayed July 2008
1 Thank BoroBoy30

Travellers are raving about these Bristol hotels

London
Reviewed 13 May 2008

The positive:
Very friendly and helpful reception staff.
Breakfast is OK.

The negative:
Bedside lights that didn't work.
Sticky carpet underfoot.
Total lack of soundproofing between rooms (both walls and ceilings).
Door latches designed so that you have to slam the doors to close them. See the point re soundproofing.
Rooms that smelt of feet.
Situated on a very noisy road - if you're unlucky enough to be on that side of the building, kiss goodbye to any hope of sleep. Especially if you go in the summer as you'll need the window open and the one in my room didn't have a catch, so just banged backwards and forwards all night.

And all for the bargain price of nearly £100 for two nights. I won't be back.

• Liked — The staff
  • Disliked — Everything else.
  • Stayed May 2008, travelled solo
1 Thank SueDN
Belfast
Reviewed 29 April 2008

The hotel is kind of like a warren - from outside it looks quite small but there are corridors and staircases everywhere inside. Staff are friendly, and the hotel gets big plus points for good selection of cooked food or continental breakfast every morning, a fruit bowl in your room, a TV with a few Sky channels, wifi internet access (which unfortunately only works in rooms very near the reception area) and tea and coffee facilities in every room.

Where it falls down is temperature. It is literally freezing at night - despite the weather in Bristol being sunny and warm enough to sit outside during the day, the rooms were cold at night, even with warm pyjamas and an extra blanket. I don't usually notice things like this much, so believe me it was bad! Other drawbacks for me was the building work going on outside that seemed to wake everybody up at 7 every morning and the fact that my room was right beside a communal bathroom so I was woken up by people taking showers at 2am!

Location was good though and hotel is very clean, even if the decor is a little rundown.

• Liked — Fruit bowl, caffetiere coffee in bedrooms, great breakfast
  • Disliked — room was way too cold
  • Stayed April 2008, travelled on business
1 Thank maevedave
Coventry, United Kingdom
Reviewed 7 April 2008

I visited this hotel on business arriving by car. Parking is at a premium in this area, there is a secure car park at the rear of the hotel (cost 6 GBP) but it only has about 10 spaces which were full when I arrived. I parked in the overflow car park which has 3 spaces (cost 5 GBP) I took the last remaining space but I did have concerns about leaving my car there because this area wasn't secured.

First impressions of the hotel by it's reception were good. The staff were helpful and polite and the hotel looked nice inside. There were some building works going on inside and I did hear some drilling noises but that stopped within about 5 minutes of my arrival.

I'd looked at the hotel web site and it set high expectations in my mind, i'd also been told that Clifton is one of the nicest areas of Bristol, plus I was paying 70 GBP for one night so I did expect a certain level of quality.

When I got to my room, it did not meet my expectations. The hotel is clearly in need of maintenance and renovation. My room was clean and warm but it was basic and that was disappointing. There were a few loose fixtures and fittings, patchy carpets, the TV in the room wasn't tuned in properly - just simple things that could have been resolved easily. The biggest problem I had was my bed - the mattress on my bed slumped in the middle so I couldn't get comfortable because it didn't support my back properly. The mattress clearly needed to be replaced.

The location of the hotel is good and it's close to the city centre, plus there were a few nice touches like tea/coffee, fruit, etc. The staff were polite and helpful but I would probably not stay here again next time I have to come to Bristol on business.

• Liked — Friendly and helpful front desk staff.
  • Disliked — Bed slumped in the middle and caused a bad night's sleep.
  • Stayed April 2008, travelled on business
1 Thank lonewayfarer
Exeter, Devon
Reviewed 28 February 2008

I wasn't really looking forward to my stay at this hotel having read fellow travellers' reviews but I must say I was pleasantly surprised by the high standard of this hotel. While I must concede that it is in need of some redecoration, I must commend this hotel in all other areas. I found the staff to be among the friendliest that I have encountered during the last five years of regular business trips around the UK. Furthermore the hotel could not be more centrally located and provided a top notch breakfast at no extra charge. I would recommend this hotel to anyone without any hesitation since everyone I encountered during my stay seemed to have the same opinion of the place as myself. I'd encourage anyone considering staying at this hotel not to be swayed by the reviews and to give it a try. You never know! Like me, you might be surprised!

• Liked — The central location and the great staff
  • Disliked — I would have liked a bar onsite perhaps but the bar located just down the road was a great night out!
  • Stayed February 2008, travelled on business