“I shall return! ”

Ranked #29 of 37 Hotels in Bristol
Bangor, United Kingdom
“I shall return! ”
Reviewed 25 January 2014 via mobile

I came across the Washington by chance having mentioned to a friend that I had business in Bristol - they had stayed here for a wedding last year. I am so happy I mentioned it!

I stay in hotels a fair bit, but never on a particularly high budget. The Washington fitted the bill very well for my meetings in Clifton. The price was very fair and included a lovely breakfast - plenty available for those of us not wanting a full English every day. I got a discount for staying 4 night, but the price without that was fair too. Parking is tricky in Clifton but they do have a car park, though I would recommend travelling in a small car as the entrance is tight.

My room was on the small side and was a bit dated, but was clean, warm and freshly painted (though not smelly). The staff were very obliging, helping with my luggage without prompting - even if they then showed my unfitness by racing up the stairs ahead of me! I slept well and found the facilities to be excellent given the star rating.

All in all I will stay again!

Stayed January 2014, travelled on business
WashingtonManager, Front Office Manager at The Washington, responded to this review, 27 January 2014
Dear Diana_T1965,

Thank you so much for you kind review. I am very pleased to hear that you will return to stay with us again at The Washington!

As a small independent Guesthouse, word of mouth is very improtant to us and it is very encouraging to hear that you were referred to us by a friend who enjoyed their stay with us. I am glad to hear that you enjoyed the breakfast - we do strive to provide a variety of locally sourced ingredients for our guests to enjoy.

The Washington converted townhouse, our rooms do vary in size but should you choose to book directly with us again then we can ensure that you are allocated one of our larger rooms.

I will pass your lovely comments onto my team - it will make their day!

Jamie-Lee
Assistant Manager

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (148)
Bristol, United Kingdom
Reviewed 22 January 2014

The short time I spent at the Washington was absolutely incredible, looking beyond the minor flaws of the hotel, the staff was what really made my time spent there incredible. Always willing to help and always smiling. On arriving the receptionist fills us in on all of the details we need to know, parking, breakfast, discounts. Absolutely brilliant. Being located only a few minutes above the city center it is a great place to stay if you are coming down to work for a couple of days, or simply just wanting to spend the evening out and have a place to crash.

Thank you so much to the staff and the assistant manager/manager, who very promptly make it their absolute priority to ensure that my stay was enjoyable.

• Stayed December 2013, travelled with friends
WashingtonManager, Manager at The Washington, responded to this review, 23 January 2014
Dear Matthew P,

Thank you so much for your lovely review - it made all the staff here smile and was a lovely 1st review of the year!

I am delighted that you were pleased with our staff - they all work very hard and I know that this review will serve to be very motivational. We will keep doing what we are doing!

I sincerely hope that we will see you again in the near future. If you contact us directly we can make sure you get a quiet room for your stay.

Brighton, United Kingdom
Reviewed 22 December 2013

Incredibly noisy room because of the traffic outside and the poor state of the window.

Very basic, dreary, dull room.

I would not recommend anyone staying here. The breakfast wasn't bad though. All in all, I would look elsewhere but not The Clifton (sister hotel) just up the road,

• Stayed December 2013, travelled on business
1 Thank SimonCahill
WashingtonManager, Manager at The Washington, responded to this review, 31 December 2013
Dear SimonCahill,

Thank you for your review of the Washington. I was very disappointed that you were not happy with your stay with us and would like to apologise on behalf of the team here.

We are a listed building and have our original, sash single-glazed windows still in place. Whilst these look lovely, I do accept that their sound proofing ability is not as good as UPVC. We are always willing to allocate rooms at the back of the Guest House if guests would prefer - these rooms do tend to be quieter as they overlook our car park only.

I am, however, glad that you enjoyed our breakfast. We have put a lot of effort into expanding our breakfast menu to make it more home cooked and fresh - I am delighted to hear that this has paid off.

Carcassonne, France
Reviewed 26 November 2013

My friend and I stayed in room 3 for 6 nights. The room was very clean but small. This is a twin room with one of the beds being near the window. The window lets in a lot of draught. The radiator was on constantly which was a god send, but i had to put extra blankets and towels on the bed to keep warm. We had to push the curtains against the window with our suitcases to try and stop the draught coming in.
The breakfast was excellent. The staff were extremly nice and helped with directions etc. it's a shame the paintwork and decor needs quite a bit of updating.
I would stay there again, but would ask not to be in room 3 in the basement due to the draft, also it was next to the dinning room at breakfast time you can here people walking into the dinning room very early in the morning, this was not a problem for us as we were up at 6.30 every morning, but if you wished to have a lie in this would be a problem.
All in all good value for money. If the paintwork etc doesn't bother you.

Room Tip: Good value for money. 10 mins walk to cabot circus. Room 3 is in the basement and it is draughty if...
  • Stayed November 2013, travelled with friends
WashingtonManager, Manager at The Washington, responded to this review, 27 November 2013
Dear Vanessa1964,

Thankyou for your review of the Washington - all feedback is discussed in our weekly meetings so we can improve for future guests!

I have passed your kind comments about the staff onto the team here where it was very gratefully received. I am sorry, however, that you felt that the decor was not up to scratch. We are constantly improving the Washington - with painting and general decoration happening all the time, but we are a large (and old) building so it does take some time.

I have asked my property development team to have a look at the draughty window in room 3. We have original windows here at the Washington and as a listed building are not permitted to install double glazing throughout but it is my hope that they can improve the situation!

Once again, many thanks for your comments. I do hope we will see you again.

Harlow, United Kingdom
Reviewed 16 November 2013

I stayed for one night at this place. Nice place in general. Decent flat screen TV with crystal clear freeview channels. Tea, coffee and fruit. But,.... the carpet in the room was disgusting. Dirty marks all over it and a square had been cut out of it then the square replaced in the cut hole. Odd. The carpet let the whole hotel down for me. To expect a paying guest to stay in a room with carpet like that.

But don't let my comment put you off. In general the place is ok. Nice reception staff as you would expect and breakfast ok although tight on the cooked breakfast. I had one egg, one sausage, one bacon, greasy deep fat fried hash brown, beans and toast. I didn't want the tomato or mushroom. But come on, it's not a kids tea party. Try giving your adult guests 2 sausages and bacon.

I would stay there again, just not in that single room.

• Stayed November 2013, travelled on business
WashingtonManager, Manager at The Washington, responded to this review, 18 November 2013
Dear Pete M,

Thank you for reviewing the Washington. I am happy to hear that you would return to stay with us when next in Bristol.

I am sorry, however, that you were not satisfied with the quality of carpet or with a few aspects of breakfast. I have been into the room you stayed in since you left your comment card on the desk last week and agree with you that it is not the finest example of carpet we have in the Guest House. My House Manager and I are currently in the stages of arranging new carpet to go into a few rooms here and on the back of your comment, we have added this room to the list.

I have also passed on your comments about breakfast to the team. We do provide a full buffet, cooked to order English breakfast and unlimited toast all for just £6 so I do not feel that our offerings are akin to a 'kid's tea party'. We normally get very positive comments about our breakfast but my supervisor and I will be review the menu in our next meeting.

Once again, thank you for your review. Please do book directly with my reception team next time you stay and we will make sure that you stay in a room with new carpet!

Reviewed 4 November 2013

We arrived at midnight having been in touch in advance to reserve a parking space - unfortunately when we got there another guest had parked across two spaces. The night staff were really helpful, and found us a space outside the hotel for the night (they did offer to try and contact the guest and get them to move their car, but we decided it was just easier to deal with it the next day). The next day we got into our reserved space with no problems.

All the staff were lovely and helpful with anything we needed. We were in and out of the hotel and no matter how many times we walked past the reception they smiled and said hello.

The hotel is tired - saying that, the room was comfortable and very clean, but the shower leaked at the tap connection so we used a hand towel to stop it flooding the bathroom. It could do with a refurbishment - but if it did I'd also expect the cost of a B&B stay to go up by at least 50% - for what we paid I wouldn't have expected anything more.

Breakfast was great, again the staff were very helpful.

If you're looking for somewhere to stay without the bells and whistles - but that is clean, friendly and comfortable, then I would recommend The Washington.

• Stayed October 2013, travelled as a couple
WashingtonManager, Manager at The Washington, responded to this review, 5 November 2013
Dear UKandbeyond,

Thank you very much for taking the time to review the Washington as a small Guest House, feedback of any nature is vital to us so that we can improve.

I'm really very pleased that you enjoyed your stay and also that you found the staff to be so accommodating and friendly - this is an area into which we put a lot of training, so it is great to hear that it is paying off. I'm sure they will appreciate this feedback when I discuss it in our meeting later.

With regards to the refurbishment of the Guest House, I can assure you that we are always working to improve for future guests. Just yesterday a room was reopened for sale having been painted and had new curtains. We also have new carpet going in next month in a lot of rooms. My team and I really enjoy upgrading the rooms and seeing the effect it has on our guests afterwards. I am sorry your shower leaked - I have asked my property development team to take a look at it so that future guests are not affected.

I do sincerely hope that next time you are in Bristol you will stay with us again. I would like to encourage you to book with us directly as this way we can ensure you go into one of our newly refurbished rooms so you can experience them for yourself!