“Excellent staff”

Ranked #30 of 38 Hotels in Bristol
Birmingham, United Kingdom
“Excellent staff”
Reviewed 20 February 2014

The staff were very friendly and helpful, they even printed a map to the place i was going. The breakfast was cooked fresh and there was plenty to choose from. The rooms were a little bit on the small side but had all facilities tea coffee maker, hairdryer and wifi.

• Stayed February 2014, travelled on business
Review collected in partnership with this hotel

WashingtonManager, Manager at The Washington, responded to this review, 24 February 2014
Dear Jackie A,

Thank you so much for your lovely review - my team were all thrilled to read it. It really makes our day when our guests take the time to let us know how their visit went.

I am really pleased that you found the rooms to be well equipped, if a little on the small side. Please do get in touch with one of the team directly should you wish to book again as we can pre-allocate a larger room for your stay.

Manager

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (150)
Reviewed 13 February 2014

Overall, This hotel is just wonderful, brilliant and has the family welcoming atmosphere started from the smooth check-in procedure till the friendly warm goodbye !!! It worth every penny in it. I strongly recommend it.

• Stayed February 2014, travelled on business
WashingtonManager, Manager at The Washington, responded to this review, 14 February 2014
Dear Anas A,

Thank you so much for your lovely review! It brought a smile to my face on a rainy Friday morning!

My team and I are thrilled that you enjoyed your stay with us so much and that you picked up on exactly the atmosphere that we try to create at the Washington.

I hope you have a lovely weekend and that we see you again in the future.

London, United Kingdom
Reviewed 11 February 2014

I came with my cousins to Bristol to visit the university.We only stayed one night and that was enough.The room was very average.Very old and dated. I asked where we can watch the football and the girl at the reception told me our sister hotel got a bar may be they will show.But that time it was raining and I asked if she could find out and let me know by phoning my room.I waited half an hour no call. I went down to check if she found out ,the reply was I didnt have time !!!!!The service was poor.I dont think to use this place again.

• Stayed February 2014, travelled with family
1 Thank Mehmet T
WashingtonManager, Manager at The Washington, responded to this review, 13 February 2014
Dear Mehmet T,

Thank you for placing a review of the Washington. I am very sorry that you were not satisfied with your stay with us.

I would like to apologise for the poor customer service that you experienced during your stay - this is not what I would expect from my team and I will be addressing this issue specifically with the member of staff in question. Your request was a simple one and should have been actioned straight away. I have now ensured that these things are checked earlier in the day so that, should guests ask, we have the answer to hand.

With regards to the decor of the room. The Washington is a 3 star Guest house and it is fair to say that some of our rooms are looking older than others. We are constantly improving our rooms for our guests - with 2 rooms being out of order for painting this week. We are a large building so it does take some time to get around to all the rooms. We are always, however, happy to move rooms, where possible, should guests not be entirely satisfied. I appreciate that this would probably have been something you would have mentioned to the receptionist should her customer service have been better.

I do hope you would consider staying with us again. In light of your experience I would be very happy to arrange your booking myself and to ensure that you received one of our more newly redecorated rooms at a discount. It is my hope that we could show you that your experience was atypical.

Once again, thank you for your feedback - it will be used to improve our service for future guests.

London, United Kingdom
Reviewed 10 February 2014

The cheery girls on reception were perhaps the best feature of this hotel, together with its superb location just behind Bristol's Victoria Rooms. Oh, and the full English breakfast was reasonable, even if the breakfast room was packed with tables like sardines and the 'pancakes' were manufactured and not freshly made. But our pokey basement bedroom was pretty grim: cramped and gloomy, with a severely worn carpet and a dodgy shower. We were promised 'hand-cut biscuits' in the blurb, but these never materialised. We had an idea of what to expect when we arrived, as the canopy over the entrance to the hotel is filthy and desperately needs a clean. This hotel badly needs the Alex Polizzi treatment.

• Stayed February 2014, travelled as a couple
WashingtonManager, Manager at The Washington, responded to this review, 11 February 2014
Dear TripAnorak,

Thank you for taking the time to review the Washington - as an independent Guest House, all feedback is important to us and used constructively.

I am very sorry that you were not entirely satisfied with your room. I have impressed on my reception team here the importance of checking back with guests after they have arrived to ensure the room is what they were hoping for - I hope this will rectify the problems you experienced.

We try very hard to set ourselves apart from the corporate chain hotels that dominate Bristol. Our hospitality trays in the rooms have fresh loose tea, coffee and hot chocolate in addition to the more standard offerings should guests prefer. We also provide fresh fruit and biscuits. It is true that these are not baked by us, but they are of superior quality and are a firm favourite with our guests (judging by the way they fly out of the rooms!).

I can also assure you that the pancakes you ate at breakfast were freshly prepared by my team of chefs. The chefs plan their weekly specials well in advance so that our regular and longer stay guests have a bit of variety during their visit with us. Again - this change to our breakfast menu has been warmly received by our guests and prompted by feedback in our in house comment cards and online reviews. I will pass on your comments to the team in the hope that they can further improve the quality of our breakfast.

Just a small point about our canopy - it is true that it is not looking it's best at the moment, but I can assure you it gets cleaned by an external company regularly. Unfortunately the rain that we have been experiencing of late has meant that it is taking a bit of a battering. I have already scheduled it's next clean to happen as soon as we get a break in the weather.

I do hope you would consider staying with the Washington again. I am very lucky to have such a passionate team working with me here and your feedback will not be the sort they wish to hear. I know that, should you return, they will do their very best to ensure that you are encouraged to leave a more positive review next time.

Best wishes
Reviewed 26 January 2014

I stayed for eight nights. The staff is polite and the bedroom is really comfortable. At breakfast you can order different thinks from a traditional English breakfast to some eggs on toast, there are also some fruits. The bedroom is a little bit small but I was alone and it was more than enough.

• Stayed January 2014, travelled solo
WashingtonManager, Manager at The Washington, responded to this review, 29 January 2014
Dear Virginia A,

Thank you for placing a review of the Washington after your recent stay - we really appreciate it when people take the time to do this. My team and I were really pleased to hear that you enjoyed your 8 nights with us.

Thank you for your comments regarding breakfast - we have recently expanded our options on the buffet and menu to make it more appealing to guests, such as yourself, who stay for longer periods. I shall pass on this feedback to the chefs and front of house team.

I do hope we can accommodate you again at the Washington. Best wishes for your travels.

Bangor, United Kingdom
Reviewed 25 January 2014 via mobile

I came across the Washington by chance having mentioned to a friend that I had business in Bristol - they had stayed here for a wedding last year. I am so happy I mentioned it!

I stay in hotels a fair bit, but never on a particularly high budget. The Washington fitted the bill very well for my meetings in Clifton. The price was very fair and included a lovely breakfast - plenty available for those of us not wanting a full English every day. I got a discount for staying 4 night, but the price without that was fair too. Parking is tricky in Clifton but they do have a car park, though I would recommend travelling in a small car as the entrance is tight.

My room was on the small side and was a bit dated, but was clean, warm and freshly painted (though not smelly). The staff were very obliging, helping with my luggage without prompting - even if they then showed my unfitness by racing up the stairs ahead of me! I slept well and found the facilities to be excellent given the star rating.

All in all I will stay again!

Stayed January 2014, travelled on business
WashingtonManager, Front Office Manager at The Washington, responded to this review, 27 January 2014
Dear Diana_T1965,

Thank you so much for you kind review. I am very pleased to hear that you will return to stay with us again at The Washington!

As a small independent Guesthouse, word of mouth is very improtant to us and it is very encouraging to hear that you were referred to us by a friend who enjoyed their stay with us. I am glad to hear that you enjoyed the breakfast - we do strive to provide a variety of locally sourced ingredients for our guests to enjoy.

The Washington converted townhouse, our rooms do vary in size but should you choose to book directly with us again then we can ensure that you are allocated one of our larger rooms.

I will pass your lovely comments onto my team - it will make their day!

Jamie-Lee
Assistant Manager
Reviewed 22 January 2014

The short time I spent at the Washington was absolutely incredible, looking beyond the minor flaws of the hotel, the staff was what really made my time spent there incredible. Always willing to help and always smiling. On arriving the receptionist fills us in on all of the details we need to know, parking, breakfast, discounts. Absolutely brilliant. Being located only a few minutes above the city center it is a great place to stay if you are coming down to work for a couple of days, or simply just wanting to spend the evening out and have a place to crash.

Thank you so much to the staff and the assistant manager/manager, who very promptly make it their absolute priority to ensure that my stay was enjoyable.

• Stayed December 2013, travelled with friends
WashingtonManager, Manager at The Washington, responded to this review, 23 January 2014
Dear Matthew P,

Thank you so much for your lovely review - it made all the staff here smile and was a lovely 1st review of the year!

I am delighted that you were pleased with our staff - they all work very hard and I know that this review will serve to be very motivational. We will keep doing what we are doing!

I sincerely hope that we will see you again in the near future. If you contact us directly we can make sure you get a quiet room for your stay.