“Weekend break”

Ranked #30 of 37 Hotels in Bristol
Halifax, United Kingdom
“Weekend break”
Reviewed 10 March 2014

I spent only one night at the hotel. I had a single room which had everything you might need - tea, coffee, biscuits and fruit. The bed was comfortable and the shower room a reasonable size.
The staff were very friendly and couldn't have been more helpful.
I wanted to be near the Clifton area, this hotel is perfectly placed for Clifton, and for just £6 I was able to park my car for the duration of my visit - parking is a nightmare in Bristol so this was very useful.
All in all, a very conveniently located hotel with very friendly and helpful staff.

• Stayed March 2014, travelled solo
Review collected in partnership with this hotel

WashingtonManager, Manager at The Washington, responded to this review, 11 March 2014
Dear Jane F,

Thank you very much for your kind review of the Washington - it always put a smile on our faces to receive such positive feedback from our guests!

As you pointed out in your review, the Washington is in a great location to use as a base from which to explore the Clifton or city centre. Parking is tricky up here (as with most unrestricted and free areas as they are overused by commuters who like to park free and walk to work!) but our car park (available at just £6 per night) is always there for piece of mind should our guests require it.

I am particularly pleased at your comments on service as we had a newish team working for us over the weekend - so I will be able to give them a well earned pat on the back!

I do hope we will be seeing you at the Washington again in the future.

Manager

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (150)
Hereford, United Kingdom
Reviewed 10 March 2014

We were originally a party of 6 going to be over at the hotel, however had to change to a party of 5 last minute. However the Washington were very understanding and accommodating of our needs. The room was simple but comfortable and breakfast was very nice. Overall we had a lovely stay and thank you for looking after my friends and me.

• Stayed March 2014, travelled with friends

Dear Anjimy,

Thank you very much for your review of the Washington - my team were thrilled to hear that you and your friends enjoyed your stay so much!

I do sincerely hope that should any of you visit Bristol again, we would be your first stop for accommodation.

London, United Kingdom
Reviewed 5 March 2014

I had a single room on the lower ground floor which was adequate in size and came with a bowl of fruit and a range drinks (including loose leaf tea, cafetiere coffee etc) which was much appreciated. The room radiator was not working properly leading to a rather nippy first night. I left the bathroom door open to benefit from the heating rail - which was working . When I raised this the next day I was immediately supplied with a heater which solved the problem. I also had a bit of noise from the room next door - and this was only people talking. I think it was another single room but a couple of people met in there and the sound insulation was not good. This totalled only about an hour in all and I heard nothing when there was only one person in the room. I do wonder if they heard my tv though!

Staff on reception here were excellent - very friendly and helpful. Breakfast (the full English) was very good and served quickly by again friendly and attentive staff - though I do wish English hotels would start it earlier than 8am at the weekend.

With a little patience there are street parking places to be had (I know this from previous visits to the area) but I prefer the car park and found £6.00 per day good value for taking the hassle away.

As in other reviews this hotel is well positioned in a nice area and Clifton and the city centre are walkable but there are also bus stops all round.

All in all a good budget hotel. I was advised that booking direct would get the best rates (I went through a booking site) and get you free wifi. Very good and I will try that next time. But...when are British hotels going to stop charging for wifi? My experience of hotels abroad is always free wifi. Why do we still charge here?

• Stayed February 2014, travelled solo
WashingtonManager, Manager at The Washington, responded to this review, 6 March 2014
Dear Redwing58,

Thank you for taking the time to review the Washington - as an independent Guest House, all feedback is greatly appreciated and used to improve our service for future guests.

I was very pleased to hear that you enjoyed your stay with us and that you tapped in on our ethos of providing good value for money rooms without sacrificing the service level at all. My team will be thrilled to hear your kind comments.

With regards to your concerns about a wifi charge, I would like to explain our situation. We paid to have our Wifi system installed a few years ago. Our nominal charge since then has been to cover this cost - rather than simply increase our rates, we chose just to charge those guests who used the service.

Booking your room with us directly saves us the commission we normally pay the large 3rd party sites that are so popular. To say thank you for this, we are now in a position where anyone making their booking directly will benefit from free wifi. This has been trialled for the last 3 months and has proven very popular with our regular guests. I am confident that it is a step in the right direction.

Next time you would like to visit, please do call us directly or look at our website. We will often be able to find a more attractive package than you see online, but will definitely be able to match what you have seen and you will get the benefit of free wifi too!

Once again, many thanks for your comments - they will be gratefully received by my team.

Truro, United Kingdom
Reviewed 3 March 2014

Having stayed at The Washington before we were a little surprised that the double room was a lot more expensive than the family room we stayed in in Dec 2013 . £92 as opposed to £73. However we like the convenience, friendly staff, super breakfast. The room was too hot, couldn't sleep even after we turned radiator down! Duvets I think would be preferable to sheets and blankets. A bit of money spent on this lovely building would be money well spent!

Room Tip: A room at the back of the hotel is preferable, especially at the week end when it can be a bit noisy...
  • Stayed February 2014, travelled as a couple
Review collected in partnership with this hotel

WashingtonManager, Manager at The Washington, responded to this review, 5 March 2014
Dear Anne D,

Thank you for your review of the Washington. I'm very pleased that you found the staff to be friendly and pleasant and that you appreciated the lovely building I am lucky enough to work in on a daily basis! I'm sorry you found your room to be too hot - our heating is centrally controlled and I have been waiting for a rise in temperatures before lowering the thermostat! I have now done this.

I would like to explain what may have occurred with your room rate. We operate a system much like that of the budget airlines in that as we fill the Guest House and get nearer to your arrival date, the rates across the board go up. This is to reward guests who plan well in advance and book in good time. It also stands to reason that in our quieter months, our rates will be more favourable than in our busier months. Strangely for a Guest House, our busier months tend to be the months that I would think most guests would assume to be our quieter months (August is one of the quieter months for example).

If in doubt I would always recommend that you call the Guest House directly as we can advise of all our current offers and can always match rates that have been seen online with our Best Rate Guarantee. Talking to one of my team simply takes the thinking out of it!

I do sincerely hope that we will see you in Bristol again.

Staines
Reviewed 28 February 2014

Checked in staff very friendly, when we got to our room the bedroom radiator was not working. Receptionist gave us a heater to use. Hotel is a bit tired but it suited us.
Had already booked and paid for parking so perfect for us as left the car there the whole time of our stay.
Great breakfasts lots of choice although we loved the full english, all staff very friendly and helpful.
Hotel within walking distance of several pubs and restaurants. About 15 minutes walk to harbour where you can pick up hop on and hop off bus which is great for a overview of the city. Worth getting a ferry to SS Gt Britain excellent experience.
Also worth having a stroll around Clifton and walking across the bridge. Pick up a booklet on self guided walks from Tourist info at the harbour.

Room Tip: lots of stairs so if problems with walking choose a ground floor room as no lift. We had room nbr 4...
  • Stayed February 2014, travelled as a couple
WashingtonManager, Manager at The Washington, responded to this review, 3 March 2014
Dear BerylStaines,

Thank you for your review of the Washinton - we really enjoy hearing the feedback that our guests leave us!

I am very pleased to hear that you enjoyed your stay with us. Thank you for mentioning our great breakfast team - they work very hard to ensure that all our guests have the best start to their day and I'm sure will be thrilled by your comments.

As you pointed out in your review, the Washington is a very good base from where to explore all the sights of Bristol. The hop-on-hop-off tourist bus actually also stops just 3 minutes walk from us in Clifton if you don't want to walk to the centre. I completely agree with your comments about the SS Great Britain, I think they have done a fantastic job in restoring it - it fully deserves it's reputation as one of Bristol's must see destinations!

I do hope that you would stay with us again - perhaps with better weather in the Summer (we can only hope!)?

Joanna Tiernay
poole dorset
Reviewed 21 February 2014

Let's just say if you want a real headache then book here. Ok here we go... The parking is awful and you have to pay £6 a day, that doesn't guarantee you parking either. I came back late one night and the 'helpful' receptionist told me to park on the road but don't block someone's drive!!! So if u know Bristol then you know there's nowhere to park. I also had to pay for the wifi, that didn't work as the signal was so poor. Then to the food, the restaurant off site was one of the worst meals I've ever had and the service was awful. The room is drab and the bed is rock hard, the walls are paper thin, so if you plan on doing any sleeping don't because you will be too busy telling the poor soul in the room next door to keep it down.The one bonus is the breakfast which is pretty good but overall had a lousy stay and would never use one of their hotels again. Pay the little bit extra and go to the premier inn or holiday inn.

• Stayed February 2014
WashingtonManager, Manager at The Washington, responded to this review, 24 February 2014
Dear Mr BondPooleDorset,

I was very sorry to read your review upon return from my holiday today. I do apologise that the Washington did not meet your expectations.

I would like to address a couple of the issues you raised. We do have a car park on site with a limited number of spaces available to reserve. It costs us to rent the car park so as space is limited, we pass on a small charge to those guests who choose to use it rather than make everyone pay through higher room rates. We have had a couple guests who have parked in front of driveways recently and have had their cars towed by the police - for this reason we remind guests that this is not allowed. We are always happy to direct guests to the nearest NCP car park (5 minutes walk away) if parking is not available on site.

Wifi is free if you book your room with us directly for a limited period - we are hoping that this pilot project proves to be successful so we can thank those guests who book directly on a more permanent basis!

I have passed on your comments to our restaurant. We normally only receive very positive comments about their service and food (hence us recommending them) so I am very sorry that you didn't enjoy your meal.

London, United Kingdom
Reviewed 20 February 2014

We checked in late without any problems. Only stayed one night as we were visiting the university. Very conveniently located to the university in Clifton. Twin room of average size with all the facilities including bowl of fruit, tea, coffee and hot chocolate. The staff was friendly and welcoming. The down side were the worn out carpets and draft through old windows. As we were only staying one night that didn't matter to us. Free wifi was well received as we had directly booked with the hotel. Generally breakfast was average but my son was disappointed with his pancakes as he expected home made but got supermarket type.

• Stayed February 2014, travelled with family

Dear BenM1955,

Thank you for taking the time to review the Washington after your recent stay. I'm pleased that, in general, you found the Washington to meet your requirements.

We are an old Grade 2 listed building and enjoy many of the original features that that brings us. Unfortunately, however, the original sash windows were not built to withstand the stormy weather we have been experiencing lately. I am currently looking into solutions for this problem (though it is my hope that this weather doesn't continue for much longer!). I am also looking to replace some carpets in the building very shortly.

As you mentioned in your review, we are very handy for the University of Bristol with most departments being within a 5 - 10 minute walk of us. I do hope that, should your travels bring you this way again, you would stay with us again.