“Cheap..but not cheerful! ”
Review of The Washington

The Washington
Ranked #30 of 37 Hotels in Bristol
Bristol, United Kingdom
“Cheap..but not cheerful! ”
Reviewed 4 June 2014 via mobile

Best part of this place is the location. Within Clifton but walking distance from the rest of the city it is a great location to have as a base.

On a surface level the room was reasonably clean...However the bedspreads were dirty... mine had a very viable hole in it. There was a huge build up of dust around the radiator. .and the floor had been rushed when cleaned...to the point where we found sweet wrappers from a previous occupant.

Staff were very friendly and polite so this I cannot fault...just the quality of the rooms wad very low... The wallpaper had stains, literally, all over. For this price I am not expecting luxury. However you do expect some basic level of clenliness/decor.

It was bearable but not a place that I would visit again. Great location but needs a lot of work.

Stayed April 2014, travelled with friends
WashingtonManager, Manager at The Washington, responded to this review, 9 June 2014
Dear Danieung,

Thank you for your review of the Washington. I was very sorry to hear that we did not meet your expectations and that this marred your stay in Bristol.

I have brought up your concerns about the levels of cleanliness with my house Manager - she will be discussing them in her meeting with her team this week. I am very sorry that the cleanliness levels were not up to our usual standard.

I am very pleased, however, to hear that you were happy with both the location and the staff who work here. I am lucky to be able to work in such a beautiful area and with such a passionate team - I am sure they will be thrilled to hear this feedback.

Joanna

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (149)
Leeds
Reviewed 29 May 2014

This is a lovely old building in need of some TLC and flair in bedroom design. That said the hotel is reasonably priced for this area of Bristol and nice that breakfast is included. Our room was light with high ceilings but the furnishings and carpet were scruffy. It was very clean, however, and the beds were very comfy. The first night was busy and sound really does carry, both through the walls and ceiling. My daughter needed her earplugs.

Stayed May 2014, travelled with family
WashingtonManager, Manager at The Washington, responded to this review, 3 June 2014
Dear Leedslass61,

Thank you for your review of the WAshington - I am pleased to hear that you enjoyed the comfort of your beds but sorry to hear that you required your ear plugs!

We have been remarkably busy recently and even I have noticed more noise around the building. In my reception presentation in a few days time, we will be tackling this issue and discussing how to best handle noisier guests whilst at the same time not removing their enjoyment of the Washington.

Thank you for your comments about breakfast - the team will be thrilled to hear them.

Eastleigh, United Kingdom
Reviewed 28 May 2014

We traveled to Bristol as a couple and family member. We were meeting a friend to spend the night out in Bristol. We booked two double rooms, one for each couple. I must admit that I was a little worried as we arrived outside the hotel, as it looked scruffy and unloved. There is little or no parking to the front of the hotel, so had to pay an extra £6 to park in the " secure" car park at the rear of the property.
The receptionist that was on duty during our check in was polite and helpful and processed our check in swiftly. The other couple in our party went to their room which was located in what I would call a basement and myself and my wife went to our room which was located on the second floor (top). The stairs are steep and the banister hand rail felt dirty and sticky with dirt. The bedroom door lock is an Yale type lock, the room was uncomfortably hot and the window was covered in bird droppings. As we were only staying for one night we weren't to bothered.
Before getting ready to go out, myself and my wife went down to the other room in the (basement). To say that I wasn't impressed would be an understatement, it was dark and enclosed. The bathroom was full of mould and my male friend couldn't shower as he was to tall to fit into the bath, as the ceiling was to low.
Myself and my wife were glad that we weren't in the room. We went back to our room to get ready to go out that night. After getting ready we went to leave our room, to find out that we couldn't open our bedroom door as the Yale lock had jammed !! My wife called reception to inform them of our situation, who in turn came upstairs with a key to open the door from the outside. The receptionist tried to open the door but unfortunately it didn't work, so we we're trapped in our room ! As the door opened inwards I couldn't force it open so I had to force the lock with my left hand, damaging my hand in the process. As my title is says, thank god there wasn't a fire during our stay as we most probably would of been trapped on the top floor of the hotel.
I spoke to the receptionist before we went out to say that the lock seemed fine at the moment but would like someone to look at it whilst we were out. We were offered a twin room, but as we had been told that the lock would be looked at and the fact that we had payed for a double room, we decided to stay in our original room.
We went out and enjoyed a good night out in Bristol. We arrived back at the hotel early hours, filled out 2 breakfast room service forms, handed them to reception and went to bed. As we had payed an extra £5 per room for a late check out, we enjoyed a lie in.
When I woke up the following morning I went to have a shower which took 40 minutes to even get close to being hot enough to get into. The water pressure was a joke and I felt as if I hadn't even had a shower. My wife didn't even bother with the shower, so we got ready to leave the room to check out and to my total horror the door lock was jammed again !! Not wanting to stay in this hotel a moment longer, I again forced the lock with my already damaged hand and went to complain to reception.
My wife at first was offered a £5 refund for the late check out fee, which she refused. The receptionist ask my wife if she would like to speak to the duty manager, which in turn my wife said yes. To my surprise the duty manager was phoned as they were not even at the property. We were offered a full refund for the room and vouchers for a stay at the hotel in the future. Vouchers which will not be used.
I just want people to be aware of the problems that they may have with the shoddy up keep of this hotel. I myself, am still in two minds to report the fault with the bedroom door. If it had bed an elderly person in the room they wouldn't of been to got out of the room.

Room Tip: If you struggle with stairs, then this hotel is not for you.
  • Stayed May 2014, travelled as a couple
Dear Swissfamilydrings,

I was very sorry to read your review on Tripadvisor after your recent stay. I am also sorry that you experienced problems with your door lock whilst you were a guest with us.

I do hope you can appreciate that, occasionally, things break. In this instance, we reported the problem with your door lock to our maintenance team straight away. They did come and look at the lock with my reception team and could not recreate the problem you experienced. You had been offered an alternative room (albeit of a different room type as we were sadly full on double rooms that night) just in case it was a problem. We are an old building so do occasionally have maintenance issues that cause us to scratch our heads. This lock has now been fully replaced as a precaution to avoid this happening again.

With regards to the shower pressure, I can only apologise. I think the most likely cause would be demand as we had had very high occupancy at the Washington recently. In light of the problems this has caused our hot water tanks, I am currently gathering quotes to upgrade our system to improve the pressure throughout the building.

On the morning you checked out, the Duty Manager was in another of our units working - my team called them to speak to you in order not to keep you waiting for a resolution. I am pleased you were refunded for your stay.

Once again I do apologise for the problems you experienced but hope that you can see that we have reacted in a positive way to rectify the situation.

Burscough, United Kingdom
Reviewed 27 May 2014

As other reviews, excellent staff who were extremely helpful and a great 'english' breakfast with good service. Decor needing attention as appearance going down to the restaurant is a bit 'scruffy'. We only stayed 1 night but would certainly stay again, in fact we have joined the loyalty card scheme! My only worry was parking - after driving 200 miles I want a guaranteed parking space, Avon police had done a trawl of Sunderland Place on the day in question and I spotted 3 cars with parking tickets!!

Room Tip: Back rooms quieter
  • Stayed May 2014, travelled with family
Review collected in partnership with this hotel

Dear Rob S,

Thank you for your review of the Washington. My team and I were thrilled to hear you enjoyed your stay with us. I was particularly pleased that you liked the service you received from all and have decided to join our loyalty scheme (a good move as this gives you 10% off published internet rates when you book through our website).

Parking in Clifton is never simple I'm afraid. The council are in the process of installing residents parking schemes across much of Bristol, with our area due to be changed over later this year. The road you talk about is Sunderland place, which whilst it is fine to park on one side of the road, it is not fine to park on the pavement on the other side of the road. Unfortunately this is something that is happening more and more and you are right, the Police are quiet hot on ticketing where there are transgressions! We do have a car park at the rear of the Washington and my team on reception are aware of local parking restrictions so can advise any future guests if they are unsure.

We look forward to welcoming you back to the Washington.

Bognor Regis
Reviewed 12 May 2014

Excellent customer service, attentive, friendly. Very convenient location for University. Had no trouble getting one of the hotel's allotted parking spaces in the middle of the day. Comfortable accommodation. Breakfast outstandingly good. Room decor needed a bit of attention. But on balance warmly recommended!

• Stayed April 2014, travelled as a couple
WashingtonManager, Manager at The Washington, responded to this review, 13 May 2014
Dear Bill J,

Thank you so much for your kind review of the Washington - it was a lovely way to start my day! I have also given your feedback about breakfast to the team - we have been working hard in this area to make our offerings more locally sourced and have tried to ensure that we cook as much of the menu ourselves so I am thrilled to hear that you were so pleased with it.

As you mentioned we are in a great place from which to explore the University - we do get a lot of guests who do exactly that!

I do sincerely hope that we will see you at the Washington again in the near future.

Haverfordwest, United Kingdom
Reviewed 12 May 2014

This hotel is ideally placed to get around central Bristol. Although the external appearance is slightly off-putting, the room was clean and well presented and the fresh fruit and filter coffee/loose tea on the tea tray made a welcome change to the normal drink sachets. What really made the stay such a pleasure was the staff. From the warm welcome I received on arrival at reception to the excellent service I received each morning at breakfast I could not have wished for more helpful and courteous staff. When I am next working in Bristol I would have no hesitation in returning to The Washington.

• Stayed April 2014, travelled on business
Review collected in partnership with this hotel

Dear Robert H,

Thank you so much for taking the time to review the Washington after your recent stay. I was thrilled to hear that you enjoyed your stay.

Thank you very much for mentioning the service you received here - I know my team will be very pleased to hear your feedback. I am very lucky to have such a committed team - they really do make a difference!

With regards to your comments about the external appearance of the Guest House. I am currently gathering quotes to get the front fully painted! This would be an exciting upgrade for us - so watch this space!

We look forward to welcoming you back when you are next on business.