“good hotel with excellent staff!”
Review of The Washington

The Washington
Ranked #29 of 39 Hotels in Bristol
Reviewed 11 June 2014

staff of the hotel was perfect - not just professionally courteous, they made me feel like a valued customer.
Very good location, a 10-15 minute walk from the city center and main attractions.
Good value for money, the hotel is ideal for mini-breaks.

• Stayed: June 2014, travelled solo
WashingtonManager, Front Office Manager at The Washington, responded to this reviewResponded 12 June 2014

Dear IrishAris,

Thank you very much for your review of the Washington. I am extremely pleased that you enjoyed your stay with us. I have passed your comments on the reception team who were thrilled to hear that you were very satisfied with the standard of service provided.

Clifton is indeed a lovely and convenient area to stay in. We are truly lucky to work in such a beautiful place.

We look forward to welcoming you back to the Washington in the near future.

Many thanks,
Anna

Reviewed 9 June 2014

I personally always thought Bristol was good value for money so when I paid a certain amount for a twin room at The Washington, I thought there would have been a bit more to it i.e a bit more modern/up to date?
Fairly clean, certain things were falling apart/cracking/mouldy but it's ok if all you want to do is sleep there.

Breakfast was always great although a very small seating area considering how many guests the hotel holds.

Only a small car park which is impossible to find unless you go into the hotel to ask and I personally don't think £6 per night is acceptable when you're paying to stay in the hotel.

Receptionists are very helpful and friendly, the night receptionist is a good laugh.

All in all, a good hotel but don't expect anything fancy.

• Stayed: May 2014
WashingtonManager, Manager at The Washington, responded to this reviewResponded 10 June 2014

Dear Elleanor F,

Thank you for placing a review of the Washington after your recent stay with us. All feedback is used constructively and is discussed in our weekly team meetings.

I am pleased to hear that in general you were pleased with the Washington. We are a 3 start Guest house - which is approximately akin to a 2 star hotel. A certain amount of wear and tear is to be expected in this level of hotel. That said, we aim to attain the highest levels of cleanliness throughout the Guest House so I am sorry that you felt we were short of the mark on this occasion. We have a rolling refurbishment in place at the Washington with a regular painting and updating schedule to stick to so I am confident that we are reacting to guest feedback in the appropriate way.

Thank you about your comments regarding breakfast. Our breakfast team will be thrilled to hear that you had a good start to the day. Unfortunately, being a Grade 2 listed building, there are only so many internal changes you can make to the structure. OUr breakfast room is small but the team are very good at turning over tables as quickly as they can - it's a well oiled machine!

Once again, many thanks for your review. I do hope we will see you in Bristol again in the near future.

Reviewed 9 June 2014

We were welcomed at the washington by a very pleasant, friendly and efficient young lady although to early to go to our room we could leave our cases and go out to get ourselves a meal, when we returned we checked in and went to our room, which as other reviewers have mentioned was a little thread bare but contrary to what has been reported by the same reviewers our room was comfortable and very clean. We had no problems with noise from the road, the breakfast foodwise was excellent but the restaurant was on the small side and consequently us and some others had to wait for tables to become clean and the waiting staff were a little bit slipshod. although very polite. I would not only use this hotel again I have already booked for later this month.

• Stayed: May 2014, travelled as a couple
Review collected in partnership with this hotel
WashingtonManager, Manager at The Washington, responded to this reviewResponded 16 June 2014

Dear Aub_UK,

Thank you for taking the time to review the Washington after your recent stay. All feedback is hugely valuable to us and is used to improve our service for future guests.

I am delighted to hear that you enjoyed your stay with us and that you will be returning to us later this month.

I'm sorry that you found it difficult to find a table at breakfast. The last few weeks have been phenomenally busy for us and our breakfast room has been feeling the heat. We normally get very good feedback for our breakfast service so I know that my team will be disappointed with your comments. As a Grade 2 listed building, we are somewhat limited in what we can alter in terms of the structure of the building so there is very little that I can co about the size of our breakfast room. We do have signs on the desk advising guests of peak times - I would recommend that you come to breakfast a little earlier to guarantee yourself a table straight away.

Once again, many thanks and I look forward to seeing you again soon.

Reviewed 6 June 2014

Stayed in this hotel in May very nice hotel for the price, Staff super friendly.Only draw back is that it doesn't have any air con in the rooms which when I stayed it was very warm in the rooms at night.

• Stayed: May 2014, travelled with friends
Review collected in partnership with this hotel
WashingtonManager, Manager at The Washington, responded to this reviewResponded 9 June 2014

Dear Ger_621,

Thank you very much for placing a review of the Washington after your recent stay with us - all feedback is reviewed and acted upon (where possible) in order to improve our service for future guests.

The Washington is a grade 2 listed building that, as you pointed out in your review, does not, unfortunately, have any air conditioning. We do, however, have plenty of fans to go around and windows that open to allow that air to circulate. I am in the process of ordering more fans to put as many as I can in each of the rooms - I hope I am not tempting fate with this as I don't want to be blamed for a rainy British Summer!!

I do hope we will see you back at the Washington when you are next in Bristol.

Reviewed 4 June 2014 via mobile

Best part of this place is the location. Within Clifton but walking distance from the rest of the city it is a great location to have as a base.

On a surface level the room was reasonably clean...However the bedspreads were dirty... mine had a very viable hole in it. There was a huge build up of dust around the radiator. .and the floor had been rushed when cleaned...to the point where we found sweet wrappers from a previous occupant.

Staff were very friendly and polite so this I cannot fault...just the quality of the rooms wad very low... The wallpaper had stains, literally, all over. For this price I am not expecting luxury. However you do expect some basic level of clenliness/decor.

It was bearable but not a place that I would visit again. Great location but needs a lot of work.

Stayed: April 2014, travelled with friends

Dear Danieung,

Thank you for your review of the Washington. I was very sorry to hear that we did not meet your expectations and that this marred your stay in Bristol.

I have brought up your concerns about the levels of cleanliness with my house Manager - she will be discussing them in her meeting with her team this week. I am very sorry that the cleanliness levels were not up to our usual standard.

I am very pleased, however, to hear that you were happy with both the location and the staff who work here. I am lucky to be able to work in such a beautiful area and with such a passionate team - I am sure they will be thrilled to hear this feedback.

Reviewed 29 May 2014

This is a lovely old building in need of some TLC and flair in bedroom design. That said the hotel is reasonably priced for this area of Bristol and nice that breakfast is included. Our room was light with high ceilings but the furnishings and carpet were scruffy. It was very clean, however, and the beds were very comfy. The first night was busy and sound really does carry, both through the walls and ceiling. My daughter needed her earplugs.

Stayed: May 2014, travelled with family
WashingtonManager, Manager at The Washington, responded to this reviewResponded 3 June 2014

Dear Leedslass61,

Thank you for your review of the WAshington - I am pleased to hear that you enjoyed the comfort of your beds but sorry to hear that you required your ear plugs!

We have been remarkably busy recently and even I have noticed more noise around the building. In my reception presentation in a few days time, we will be tackling this issue and discussing how to best handle noisier guests whilst at the same time not removing their enjoyment of the Washington.

Thank you for your comments about breakfast - the team will be thrilled to hear them.

Reviewed 29 May 2014

• Stayed: May 2014, travelled as a couple
Review collected in partnership with Easytobook.com