“Great service, so helpful!”
Review of The Washington

The Washington
Ranked #29 of 38 Hotels in Bristol
Sydney, Australia
“Great service, so helpful!”
Reviewed 3 July 2014

We were not guests of The Washington but had walked in to ask directions as we were quite lost and tired. We were so pleasantly surprised by the lengths to which the lovely receptionist went to help us. She gave us directions to where we wanted to go on a little map, and when we realised it was too far to walk, she excelled herself by ringing for a taxi (we only asked for the number!) to take us to where our car was parked.
The taxi arrived within five minutes. Thank you very much for your consideration and kindness, we really appreciated it.

Stayed July 2014, travelled as a couple
1 Thank 695Josephine
WashingtonManager, Manager at The Washington, responded to this review, 6 July 2014
Dear 695Josephine,

Your review brought the broadest smile to my face! I have already been able to pin point who was responsible for the fantastic service you received and they are thrilled that they made a difference to your day.

I am extremely fortunate to have such a passionate and friendly team here at the Washington - they really do deliver their best all the time. I know this feedback meant a lot to the person involved so thank you very much for taking the time to pop it on Tripadvisor.

Next time you are in Bristol I hope that we can accommodate you as well as give you directions!

Joanna

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (153)
Somerset, United Kingdom
Reviewed 1 July 2014

Stayed overnight to visit Bristol Hippodr0me and chose this Hotel because they took dogs. It was in a very convenient spot quiet, rooms were clean and with tea and coffee facilities.

Close to restaurants and bars and staff were very friendly and helpful.

Only downside was the parking which was £6 overnight which you would probably need to book as parking in the area outside the hotel was difficult.,

Room Tip: Rooms downstairs very quiet. Our friend had a room at the front on the first floor which she said...
  • Stayed June 2014, travelled with friends
1 Thank Jean P
Dear Jean P,

Thank you for taking the time to review the Washington after your recent stay with us. I am very pleased that you found us to provide good value for money.

As you mentioned in your review, we do accept pets at the Washington for a small additional charge. We prefer to get advance warning of this so that we can make sure that the right room is allocated for you.

With regards to parking, you are right, it is very tricky in this area. We do have a car park and allow a limited number of spaces to be reserved each day. If this is a requirement I would always recommend guests ring to reserve these well in advance. Our remaining spaces are offered on a first come first served basis.

I do hope we will be able to accommodate you at the Washington again in the near future.

Reviewed 30 June 2014 via mobile

Very please with this hotel value for money would recommend , clean , helpful, lovely selection for breakfast. Walking distance to harbour site & town where there is plenty of bars ,restaurants and bristol amphitheatre

• Stayed June 2014
Dear Suzanne B,

Thank you very much for your kind review of the Washington. I am thrilled that you enjoyed your stay with us and have passed on your comments to my teams.

As you pointed out, we are very lucky to be in such a lovely area of Bristol with most of the popular sites within easy reach.

Feedback such as yours is hugely motivating to my team - I do sincerely hope that we will be able to welcome you to the Washington again in the near future.

Minneapolis, Minnesota
Reviewed 25 June 2014

Chose this because we needed parking, and the hotel website claimed that onsite parking was available without requiring a reservation. However, upon arrival, parking spaces were indeed reserved for several people. When inquiring about this at the front desk, the attendant said that yes, that is what the website indicates, but that "people kind of know they need to make a reservation." So, if you need parking, be sure to make a reservation, despite what the website states. Street parking is available, but is very difficult to find. Other than not having a shower curtain for the bathtub during our stay, even though one was requested, the property was adequate. Make sure you understand the internet policy. The breakfast is very good, especially if you avoid the crowd at 8:30 am.

• Stayed May 2014, travelled with family
WashingtonManager, Manager at The Washington, responded to this review, 26 June 2014
Dear Shodapp,

Thank you for placing a review of the Washington. I'm sorry that there were a couple of issues that marred your stay with us - this is not the kind of feedback that I want to hear at all.

Firstly let me apologise that you didn't have a shower curtain in your room. I cannot work out which room you were in, but all our showers should have curtains or doors. I will bring this up with the House Manager in our meeting tomorrow. I am also sorry that, having drawn our attention to this problem, a solution was not found for you.

Parking in Clifton is tricky at the best of times I'm afraid, but we appear to have made it more complicated for you - for this you have my apologies. To clarify the situation let me explain. We do have a car park, but space is limited. For this reason, we only allow up to 3 spaces to be reserved per day. We have recently removed the ability to reserve parking through our website as we found that it was too popular. If guests call us directly and there is one of the 3 spaces still available, we will happily reserve parking. If not, however, parking is available only on a first come first served basis. As you pointed out, parking is also available on the streets around the Guest House if guests are unable to park in our car park.

I do hope that you would consider staying with us again when you are next in Bristol.

Chester, United Kingdom
Reviewed 24 June 2014

Stayed here late night not bad but could do with a little touch of paint in room and a new loo seat , clean bedding, hot water ,which is great for us ,( a lot of places we have stayed in had no hot water took to boiling kettle.) staff friendly , helpful, polite, bed to hard for me didn't sleep ,very uncomfortable, breakfast very good

Room Tip: Rooms average ok for the price
  • Stayed June 2014, travelled as a couple
WashingtonManager, Manager at The Washington, responded to this review, 25 June 2014
Dear Lisa P,

Thank you for placing a review of the Washington after your recent stay.

I was delighted to hear that you found the basics were done well; clean bedding and hot water are essential in a Guest House - I'm very glad you didn't need to boil the kettle here!

We have a constant refurbishment programme at the Washington with regular painting happening. Your feedback regarding the loo seat was very helpful - we have now had this changed.

I have also passed your kind comments about your breakfast onto the breakfast team.

I do hope we will see you again when you are next in Bristol.

Kent
Reviewed 20 June 2014

Booked 2 single rooms for me and a pal, his first visit and he was really impressed with the staff and particularly the full English breakfast. We met some people who were trying to encourage us to try another hotel but we were happy and we will re-book on our next trip to Bristol for a night on the town.

Thanks again to the Washington staff, who once again did everything they possibly could to make our stay enjoyable.

• Stayed May 2014, travelled with friends
WashingtonManager, Manager at The Washington, responded to this review, 23 June 2014
Dear Kev E,

Thank you so much for your very kind review of the Washington - feedback like yours is exactly what keeps my team motivated to do so well. I have passed on your comments to the whole team.

I am delighted that we will see you again at the Washington. Please do sign up to our loyalty card scheme for some great extra benefits.

Farnborough, United Kingdom
Reviewed 14 June 2014

Great hotel with excellent service I had the mishap of losing an earring and was so happy when the staff found it and posted it to me. Enjoyed the breakfast and the food in the restaurant round the corner.

Room Tip: I enjoyed my room with bathroom not too noisy no1 was great . Loved the tea tray which had special h...
  • Stayed May 2014, travelled on business
Review collected in partnership with this hotel

WashingtonManager, Manager at The Washington, responded to this review, 16 June 2014
Dear Emma B,

Thank you so much for your lovely review of the Washington - it has made the team smile on a Monday morning!

I am delighted that you enjoyed your stay with us and that we were able to reunite you with your earring - it is so frustrating when you lose one!

I do hope we will see you back at the Washington in the near future.