“Tired and battered”
Review of The Washington

The Washington
Ranked #29 of 39 Hotels in Bristol
Reviewed 9 July 2014

The room we stayed I for one night was tired and battered.

There were large stains on the carpet and the net curtains were grubby. The ensuite was adequate but very small and had seen better days.

The car park and back entrance were particularly unwelcoming, with an area near the car park entrance piled high with old mattresses, broken electrical appliances and other rubbish.

By strange contrast the staff were very welcoming, helpful and friendly.

Stayed: June 2014, travelled with family
2  Thank Elizabeth C
WashingtonManager, Manager at The Washington, responded to this reviewResponded 15 July 2014

Dear Elizabeth C,

Thank you for taking your time to review the Washington. I am very sorry to hear that you did not fully enjoy your stay with us.

We do have an ongoing refurbishment project at the Washington so carpets and curtains etc are being replaced on a regular basis. I am confident that we are addressing the problems that should you revisit the Washington, you would find it a much changed Guest House.

Regarding the car parking area, we are in the process of rebuilding the gate which will result in improving the overall impression and organisation.

I am very glad to hear that you were happy with the standard of service you received. The saff are indeed a huge asset to the Washington.

Once again, I am sorry for the problems you encountered during your stay. Should you wish to give us another try I would be happy to handle your reservation myself so as to make sure you get a suitable room at a discounted rate.

Many thanks,
Anna

Reviewed 8 July 2014

The Washigton for sure had some splandid time... 100 years ago.
Mold in toilet
Mold on ceiling
splashed fuit/tea bag? on a wall
Do not vary much from other english b&bs... I guess it's just "english standard"

• Stayed: June 2014, travelled with family

Dear Lukasz D,

I am very sorry that you did not enjoy your stay with us at the Washington. Thank you for your feedback. I would like to address some of the comments that you made in your review however.

You mentioned that the toilet was mouldy. I can assure you that our housekeeping team cleans the rooms thoroughly on daily basis and uses appropriate cleaning materials in order to remove all dirt. There are indeed some rooms that need painting and that is what we are in the process of doing. You might have noticed that the reception area has been recently painted.

Once again, I am sorry that your stay was not up to scratch but hope that you would consider staying again so we can prove to you that your first stay with us was not the normal experience for a Washington guest.

Many thanks,
Anna

Reviewed 5 July 2014

Always happy to stay at the Washington as it is very convenient. The receptionist was very kind,friendly and helpful. They have single rooms at the top for a cheaper price - even tho they are very small and do not have their own bathrooms, they are very clean and well equipped with tv,kettle, hairdryer,fruit etc. I don't have breakfast so can't comment on that.

• Stayed: June 2014, travelled solo
Review collected in partnership with this hotel
WashingtonManager, Manager at The Washington, responded to this reviewResponded 6 July 2014

Dear Angela N,

Thank you for taking the time to review the Washington after your most recent stay. All feedback is hugely valueable to us and is discussed with the teams in our monthly presentations. I was particularly pleased to hear that this was not your first visit to the Washington.

As you pointed out in your review, we have a variety of room types at the Washington - including some with shared bathrooms designed to suit those on a tighter budget. All of our rooms have the same extras - with fresh loose leaf tea and coffee, fruit and biscuits in each room. Our motto is to have something for everyone and I am very pleased that you found your room suitable for your needs.

We have some great special offers in advance if guests' know their travel dates, so next time you are visiting Bristol, please give us a call and we will see if we can find you an ensuite room, with breakfast for roughly the same price!

Reviewed 3 July 2014

We were not guests of The Washington but had walked in to ask directions as we were quite lost and tired. We were so pleasantly surprised by the lengths to which the lovely receptionist went to help us. She gave us directions to where we wanted to go on a little map, and when we realised it was too far to walk, she excelled herself by ringing for a taxi (we only asked for the number!) to take us to where our car was parked.
The taxi arrived within five minutes. Thank you very much for your consideration and kindness, we really appreciated it.

Stayed: July 2014, travelled as a couple
1  Thank 695Josephine

Dear 695Josephine,

Your review brought the broadest smile to my face! I have already been able to pin point who was responsible for the fantastic service you received and they are thrilled that they made a difference to your day.

I am extremely fortunate to have such a passionate and friendly team here at the Washington - they really do deliver their best all the time. I know this feedback meant a lot to the person involved so thank you very much for taking the time to pop it on Tripadvisor.

Next time you are in Bristol I hope that we can accommodate you as well as give you directions!

Reviewed 1 July 2014

Stayed overnight to visit Bristol Hippodr0me and chose this Hotel because they took dogs. It was in a very convenient spot quiet, rooms were clean and with tea and coffee facilities.

Close to restaurants and bars and staff were very friendly and helpful.

Only downside was the parking which was £6 overnight which you would probably need to book as parking in the area outside the hotel was difficult.,

Room Tip: Rooms downstairs very quiet. Our friend had a room at the front on the first floor which she said...
  • Stayed: June 2014, travelled with friends
1  Thank Jean P

Dear Jean P,

Thank you for taking the time to review the Washington after your recent stay with us. I am very pleased that you found us to provide good value for money.

As you mentioned in your review, we do accept pets at the Washington for a small additional charge. We prefer to get advance warning of this so that we can make sure that the right room is allocated for you.

With regards to parking, you are right, it is very tricky in this area. We do have a car park and allow a limited number of spaces to be reserved each day. If this is a requirement I would always recommend guests ring to reserve these well in advance. Our remaining spaces are offered on a first come first served basis.

I do hope we will be able to accommodate you at the Washington again in the near future.

Reviewed 30 June 2014 via mobile

Very please with this hotel value for money would recommend , clean , helpful, lovely selection for breakfast. Walking distance to harbour site & town where there is plenty of bars ,restaurants and bristol amphitheatre

• Stayed: June 2014

Dear Suzanne B,

Thank you very much for your kind review of the Washington. I am thrilled that you enjoyed your stay with us and have passed on your comments to my teams.

As you pointed out, we are very lucky to be in such a lovely area of Bristol with most of the popular sites within easy reach.

Feedback such as yours is hugely motivating to my team - I do sincerely hope that we will be able to welcome you to the Washington again in the near future.

Reviewed 25 June 2014

Chose this because we needed parking, and the hotel website claimed that onsite parking was available without requiring a reservation. However, upon arrival, parking spaces were indeed reserved for several people. When inquiring about this at the front desk, the attendant said that yes, that is what the website indicates, but that "people kind of know they need to make a reservation." So, if you need parking, be sure to make a reservation, despite what the website states. Street parking is available, but is very difficult to find. Other than not having a shower curtain for the bathtub during our stay, even though one was requested, the property was adequate. Make sure you understand the internet policy. The breakfast is very good, especially if you avoid the crowd at 8:30 am.

• Stayed: May 2014, travelled with family
WashingtonManager, Manager at The Washington, responded to this reviewResponded 26 June 2014

Dear Shodapp,

Thank you for placing a review of the Washington. I'm sorry that there were a couple of issues that marred your stay with us - this is not the kind of feedback that I want to hear at all.

Firstly let me apologise that you didn't have a shower curtain in your room. I cannot work out which room you were in, but all our showers should have curtains or doors. I will bring this up with the House Manager in our meeting tomorrow. I am also sorry that, having drawn our attention to this problem, a solution was not found for you.

Parking in Clifton is tricky at the best of times I'm afraid, but we appear to have made it more complicated for you - for this you have my apologies. To clarify the situation let me explain. We do have a car park, but space is limited. For this reason, we only allow up to 3 spaces to be reserved per day. We have recently removed the ability to reserve parking through our website as we found that it was too popular. If guests call us directly and there is one of the 3 spaces still available, we will happily reserve parking. If not, however, parking is available only on a first come first served basis. As you pointed out, parking is also available on the streets around the Guest House if guests are unable to park in our car park.

I do hope that you would consider staying with us again when you are next in Bristol.