“Undefined”

Ranked #29 of 38 Hotels in Bristol
Lille, France
“Undefined”
Reviewed 6 August 2014

I like to keep my privacy. I asked twice that I didn't want ANY housekeeping during our two nights stay. The first time when we arrived, the second time when we left the hotel on the morning, the day after. They did enter though.
The rest is great.

• Stayed July 2014, travelled as a couple
WashingtonManager, Manager at The Washington, responded to this review, 8 August 2014
Dear Eskaloeo,

Thank you very much for taking your time to review The Washington Guest House.

I am pleased to hear that you enjoyed your recent stay with us.

I am very sorry, though, that there were some efficiency issues. It seems as if there was a communication problem between the departments. I have spoken both to my reception team and the housekeeping team to point out how importat it is to react appropriately to our guests' requests.

Once again I apologise for the inconvenience.

I do sincerely hope that we will be able to welcome you to the Washington again in the near future so that you can see the improved efficiency of our teams.

Anna

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (153)
Whitby, United Kingdom
Reviewed 3 August 2014 via mobile

The only thing that stopped this being a "1 star terrible" review was the breakfast, but this wouldn't have been the case if we had eaten 10mins later, when food hadn't been replenished and greatly lessening the choice. This was definitely not worth the £109 charged....it was a slightly upmarket kiss-me-quick B&B being tired in it's appearance. There were damp patches on the walls & ceilings with wallpaper peeling off, cracked tiles in the bathroom & missing grout, ripped material on the furniture to name a few! The extra bed, that cost an additional £10, was closer to a tired, spring-loaded hammock. Suffice to say, this would have been overpriced at £60 but would have been easier to stomach and ended our weekend away for a family wedding more enjoyably than it did! :( :( :(

Stayed August 2014, travelled with family
WashingtonManager, Manager at The Washington, responded to this review, 4 August 2014
Dear Sarah H,

Thank you for placing a review of The Washington Guest House after your recent stay with us. I'm very sorry to hear that there were a few issues that marred your stay with us.

I am glad to hear that you enjoyed the breakfast and were satisfied with the service.

I would like to appologise for the quality of the furniture in your room. We do have an ongoing refurbishment project at the Washington so chairs/ stools etc are being replaced on a regular basis. We are also in the process of repainting the rooms and public areas.

Thank you for bringing the problem with the bathroom tiles to our attantion. I have already passed your comments onto my housekeeping and maintenance teams and they are scheduling the best time to sort this issue out.

Once againg I am sorry that your experience with the Washington Guest House was not the best.

I do hope, though, that you would consider staying with us next time you are in Bristol. If you call us directly, we will be able to offer you a discounted rate and allocate a nice room.

Anna

Travellers are raving about these Bristol hotels

Oxford, United Kingdom
Reviewed 2 August 2014

I stayed at The Washington for 1 night on 19th July. The lady that greeted me on the reception was pleasant and gave me directions to walk into town.

However, I was very disappointed with my single en-suite bedroom (Room 72?). The room was very small, the window did not lock as the handle was half snapped off. A catch had been added, but still this did not shut the window completely. Being in a unfamiliar place and on ground floor, did not make me feel very safe. The furniture was well-used, with rips in the chair and stains on the carpet/bedspread. The ceiling in the bathroom above the bath looked like it would collapse at any moment, which led for a very nervous shower!

The street was very noisy from where I was, and due to the window not closing. I could also hear other people in their rooms. I did not sleep well at all.

I paid £68 for this room, which I feel is very overpriced. I wanted to ask about having a part-refund, but due to work commitments and having to leave early the day I was unable to formally ask for this. I have stayed in much better places for less money.

The breakfast was very nice.

The wifi connection would not work in this room, which was not good for work commitments. I would not recommend this B&B.

• Stayed July 2014, travelled on business
Dear Charlotte N,

Thank you for taking you time to review the Washington Guest House after your recent stay with us.

I am happy to hear that you found the receptionist pleasant and helpful. Also that you were satisfied with the breakfast we provide.

Thank you for bringing the problem with the window to our attantion. I had my houskeeping and maintenance team to look at it and fix it.

As this is an old listed building, I am afraid there is not much we can do about the size of the room. However, I can assure you that we have a constant refurbishment programme at the Washington with regular painting happening. Also we have recently ordered new bedspread and carpets so to update some of the rooms that require attantion.

I apologise for the noise during the night but as your room was located at the back of the hotel and overlooking the back garden I am not sure why that was an issue.

I do hope that you would consider giving us a second chance and staying with us again when you are next in Bristol. If you contact us directly, we will be more that happy to allocate for you a nice room higher up on the quiet side of the building.

Dalbeattie, United Kingdom
Reviewed 23 July 2014

Stayed here for a few days on a recent trip. It was in convenient spot for my trip and it is certainly a nice area to stay in. The hotel, however, was less than ideal.
The room wasn't the nicest, it was very run down and needed a bit of a re-vamp. The shower-head wouldn't point towards me in the shower and I needed to stuff a towel behind it (which was unhelpfully removed each morning).
There were stains all over the skirting boards and there was just a general run down feeling to the place.
I needed to pay extra for WiFi and for parking.
The breakfast room is not big enough for the number of rooms that there are and on Sunday morning large groups were forced to wait in reception until tables became available.
On the Monday morning I my toast had mold on it, the waiting staff were very apologetic but it made me loose my appetite a little...
The staff were very friendly, helpful and polite.
It could have been worse, but it could have been much better.

Room Tip: rooms 71, 72 and 73 are below ground level so there's no mobile phone reception.
  • Stayed July 2014, travelled solo
WashingtonManager, Manager at The Washington, responded to this review, 24 July 2014
Dear MISSBidders,

Thank you for placing a review of The Washington Guest House after your recent stay with us. I'm sorry that there were a couple of issues that marred your stay with us.

Firstly, I would like to express how happy I am to hear that you found the staff to be friendly and helpful. We are all passionate about The Washington and strive to provide an excellent customer service. We are also very lucky to be situated in such a beautiful area of Bristol.

I would like to apologise that you were not fully satisfied with the room we allocated for you.

We have a constant refurbishment programme at the Washington with regular painting happening which should sort out some of the issues you have mentioned. I have addressed the shower problem with our maintenence team and it's been now resolved.

I am very sorry for the problems with breakfast - that is indeed unacceptable and anyone would loose their appetite. We have never encountered an issue like that before. I have spoken to our breakfast supervisor to make sure that appropriate action is take to avoid similar situations.

Thank you very much for your valuable feedback. We appreciate it greatly as it helps us develop and improve.

I do hope that you would consider giving us a second chance and staying with us again when you are next in Bristol. If you contact us directly, we will be more that happy to allocate for you a nice room higher up.

Reviewed 22 July 2014

Our stay at The Washington with my girlfriend was really nice. The room was clean, the staff was extremely helpful and friendly with a smile on their face, no matter what our claims were.
The location is really close to the city centre, the breakfast was massive and delicious.

The perfect stay.

Room Tip: Book directly for free Wi-fi.
  • Stayed July 2014, travelled as a couple
WashingtonManager, Manager at The Washington, responded to this review, 23 July 2014
Dear Kristof R,

Thank you for your kind review of the Washington Guest House.

I am thrilled to hear that you enjoyed your stay with us and I have passed on your comments to my teams. We are all extremely passionate about the Washington and thrive on positive feedback, so it is much appreciated.

As you pointed out, we are indeed very lucky to be situated in such a lovely area of Bristol with most of the popular sites within easy reach.

I do sincerely hope that we will be able to welcome you to the Washington again in the near future.

Hull
Reviewed 13 July 2014

Sadly the only positive thing to say about the Washington is that the staff are all very friendly and helpful, Unfortunately if the hotel was a horse it would be put down for its own sake. The Washington is a collection of Victorian style terrace houses knocked into one and therefore has so many passageways it resembles a rabbit warren. Our room, No 71 was reached by descending a twisty staircase along a short passage and down another short set of stairs to a basement room resembling a dungeon. It was an odd sort of L shaped room with a bathroom off one corner that seemed to be a tunnel with an arched ceiling that sloped to one end. The view from the basement window was of a set of stone steps just a few feet away which was full of rubbish. The carpet was threadbare in the bedroom and the drawer unit was falling apart. Paint was peeling off the ceiling and walls in the bathroom and the tile grout was covered in mould. The breakfast in the morning was served by very polite and friendly staff but was very basic with one sausage and one small rasher of bacon.
Bristol is full of nice hotels so I can't really think of any reason to recommend the Washington.
I just felt sorry for the staff who try so hard but are flogging a dead horse.

Room Tip: Chose another hotel, Bristol is full of them
  • Stayed July 2014, travelled as a couple
WashingtonManager, Manager at The Washington, responded to this review, 17 July 2014
Dear john_sHull,

I am very sorry to read that you were disappointed with your recent stay at the Washington.

I have discussed the issues you raised with my House Manager and she has held a meeting with her team to discuss why the stairs outside the window were not cleared of rubbish - I agree with you that such things are not acceptable and I would like to apologise for this drop in standards.

I would also like to say sorry for the quality of the carpet in your room. We do have an ongoing refurbishment project at the Washington so carpets etc are being replaced on a regular basis. We are also in the process of repainting the rooms and public areas. You might have noticed that reception has been recently updated.

I am very surprised to hear that you were not satisfied with breakfast as this is not the feedback that we normally get.

I am, however, very pleased that you found the staff to be friendly and helpful.

Once again, I am sorry for the problems you encountered during your stay. Should you wish to give us another try I would be happy to handle your reservation myself so as to make sure you get a suitable room at a discounted rate.

Sheffield, United Kingdom
Reviewed 11 July 2014

This hotel is great for location and price. 15 minutes walk into town in one direction and Clifton Suspension Bridge in the other, good area. At £56 plus £6 parking, it's a real bargain - full English breakfast included too, good quality. A little extra for internet. Very helpful receptionists. The room was fine but no lift with heavy bags. It's a mix of normal modern and slightly run-down shabby. Recommended for discriminating budget guests like us!

• Stayed July 2014, travelled as a couple
WashingtonManager, Manager at The Washington, responded to this review, 15 July 2014
Dear Colin F,

Thank you for reviewing the Washington after your recent stay with us.

I am very pleased that you enjoyed your stay here and the standard of service you received. We are indeed located in a desirable area of Bristol which is in a convenient distance to the city centre and the beautiful Clifton Village. We do recommend visiting our website www.cliftonhotels.com to check the special offers we have available.