“Excellent Service at a Hotel in Desperate Need of New Carpet and Bedding”
Review of The Washington

The Washington
Ranked #29 of 39 Hotels in Bristol
Pasadena, CA
“Excellent Service at a Hotel in Desperate Need of New Carpet and Bedding”
Reviewed 19 July 2009

It's hard to say anything negative about this place because the service was exceptional. The staff was so friendly, accommodating, and helpful...and did so with a genuine smile...not the fake kind they give to you when it's a upscale hotel and they have to kiss up. The hotel's location is very central. You're in a quiet street and walking distance to the main museum, the university, lots of shops and restaurants that seem to turn into happening clubs at night. If you're walker, do take into consideration that it's located on a steep walk up the hill. I loved it cause it's exercise...others with health issues...maybe not. There is no free internet access but they do offer a fairly reasonable rate done on an hourly basis (not consecutive time block). There is no lift and the staircase is tight so take that in mind. The breakfast is very nice considering the rate and again the service is excellent. The coffee isn't instant and the juice comes from a real fruit and not a factory. They also have a tea maker and coffee presser in your room and there's a small bowl of fruit which is very nice since you don't expect anything like this for the rate you pay. The hotel itself though is not for those who are more sensitive to cleanliness. The linen looked clean (but there was no mattress cover) and the sink and shower were also clean. However, everything is old and kind of grungy looking. The carpet in the hotel is really disgusting. Take flip flops with you for sure. I can't say that I would recommend this to a friend because for me it was difficult to get past its poor condition. However, given its overall value, I would recommend it to others on this site if they're ok with the negatives.

• Stayed July 2009, travelled solo

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (153)
United States
Reviewed 4 July 2009

I stayed three nights at the hotel. It is an old-building-made-into-a-hotel, and it does not look luxurious at all, but the staff is friendly.

Everything in the room was plain, but functional. In my room there was a shower, a tiny TV set, tea/coffee-making tools, a complimentary bowl of fresh fruits (2 oranges and 1 apple, reduced to 1 orange and 1 apple after I ate both oranges the first day), a small wardrobe, and a miniature shelf above the bed. The power outlets were annoyingly located immediately above the built-in table, which made it impossible to plug a laptop charger (which protrudes below the outlet slightly). WiFi costs separately, but pricing is reasonable unlike many other hotels.

For breakfast one could order various hot items from the kitchen (mostly eggs in various forms), and get a cereal/yogurt, and some fresh fruit. The selection of cereals and yogurts was lacking, and some kinds of fruit were gone by the end of breakfast time window (which is 7-9am). The omelets were decent, and they was a choice of fillings, which was good, but did not include cheese. The staff running breakfast was nice, and helpful. The hotel also offers dinner for an extra charge, but I did not try it.

• Stayed July 2009, travelled on business
Chester
Reviewed 21 June 2009

I initially tried to book at the Clifton Hotel but they were full, so the Washington was recommended to me instead as they are part of the same group.

I must say I like this hotel just as much as the Clifton. I found the staff here to be very friendly and efficient. I twisted my ankle badly last week and when they saw me hobbling up to reception a friendly face opened the door for me and offered to take my luggage. I've stayed in hotels with a far higher rating than this and not received such a welcome!

Unlike it's sister hotel, this one included breakfast in its rate which is a nice touch and there was the same hospitality tray as in the higher graded Clifton (I was told by reception that this was a group-wide feature!). The room here was in need of a lick of paint but not much else, I had a bath then a very good nights sleep.

I'm so glad I found these hotels, they are so friendly,welcoming and efficient that it makes up for the slightly 'dated' look of the rooms. It's so nice to get back in the evening to see a familier face and someone asking how your day was! I shall recommend this hotel and the others in the group as I really feel they are gems.

Thank you!

• Stayed June 2009, travelled on business
Cambridge, UK
Reviewed 20 June 2009

The welcome was polite and friendly, the room and bathroom clean and well-provisioned, with small welcoming touches one would generally expect only from more up-market hotels. The bed was extremely comfortable. The breakfast was excellent and the service at all times exemplary. The hotel is close to the Clifton Suspension Bridge and other tourist attractions, yet lies in a quiet, largely residential road. There are good restaurants nearby. Very good value for money: highly recommended.

• Stayed March 2009, travelled solo
Southampton, United Kingdom
Reviewed 28 January 2009

First off, I walked in off the street looking for somewhere to stay in Bristol and ended up in the Washington. My advice, try to knock them down on price. They intially quoted me £85 B & B, I eventually got a nights B & B for £65. The hotel is average, nothing special but reasonably up together. Breakfast is good and the staff friendly. They have a car park at the rear of the hotel which when I stayed was completely empty but I was still charged £6 per night, I think they share it with a local business because most of the spaces are reserved from 8.30am to 5.30pm, but if you agree to vacate by 8.30am it really doesn't warrant a charge of £6.
Overall ok hotel, but over priced when you throw in the parking.

• Liked — reception
  • Disliked — £6 per night parking
  • Stayed January 2009, travelled on business
    • Check-in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)

Travellers are raving about these Bristol hotels

London
Reviewed 14 November 2008

When I saw the 3 stars granted by AA I thought we will find a real 3 stars hotel in Bristol. I wanted this location because we were going to spend a spa day in Clifton.
At first I called directly the hotel, the lady told me it was £85/room/night I could not get a better price so I checked on a website and found the rooms priced at £70/night. i thought it was a bargain at that price for a 3 stars close to the centre.
When we arrive my first thought was that it was a youthostel and I did check the hotel name.
The staff was friendly and helpful fortunately because everything else was awful:
the room has not been refurbished since 1970, if you are overweight you get stuck in the tiny bathroom, you cannot sleep in the Bed (overweight or not) because you can feel all the springs of the cheap mattress.
The breakfast: the food was OK for a 2 stars hotel, not 3, the biggest problem was the state of the tables: the tissus were dirty with trace of old coffee and butter and you have to check the spoons because some of them still have food on it.
We do think that £70 for that kind of hotel is not fair and it could have been even worst if we paid £85/night.

• Liked — reception staff
  • Disliked — Everything else
  • Stayed November 2008, travelled as a couple
    • Check-in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
Bolzano, Italy
Reviewed 20 August 2008

This is my second review as the first one has not been published. I found staff at reception and in the breakfast room friendly. The fruit in the room was nice too although I found the room rather noisy. I did have a massive problem though when on the day I checked out all my luggage disappered from the reception area. I had asked the receptionist whether it was possible to leave it there till I was going to pick it up in the afternoon. She agreed but when I came back it had all gone!! Things can happen but I specifically object to the way management has dealt with it all. I think that they should have offered to give me money for everything that has been stole. I was incredibly dissapointed..

Best wishes from Ulrike from Italy

• Liked — The fruit
  • Disliked — Management
  • Stayed July 2008, travelled with family