“very friendly service and great location”
Review of The Washington

The Washington
Ranked #29 of 38 Hotels in Bristol
Llandudno, United Kingdom
“very friendly service and great location”
Reviewed 30 December 2010

Having spent a weekend in a very nice hotel in the Cotswolds, we had imagined that this would be a bit of a let-down by comparison, but it really wasn't. The reception team were very friendly when we arrived and were very knowledgable when we asked about what we should do in the area.

Our room was fairly basic, but with some nice touches, a bowl of fruit and fresh tea and coffee are not really expected for £56 a night, but they were appreciated. The bed was comfy and I was very happy to have a bath instead of just a shower as we had been on a very long walk before heading to Bristol.

My partner and I then headed into Clifton village, which is lovely - there are loads of restaurants and pubs there and some lovely shops for Christmas presents!

Breakfast was great, a buffet and a full English all included in our price. The only downside was the coffee - I'd have preferred to have a pot on my table (like my partner with his tea), but it was only a small point and my cup was filled up on numerous occasions.

For a stop over in Bristol, you couldn't do better than this place - it is clean, in a great location and has very nice staff - the only thing they need to do is update the decor and replace some carpet. I would definitely stay again if I was passing through.

• Stayed November 2010, travelled as a couple

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (153)
Grays Essex
Reviewed 30 November 2010

Hotel's position while good for Clifton Village with its cute shops and restaurants, its a hilly hike to the City centre River Avon attractions. Off street parking £7 a night - on street only available late at night.
Excellent breakfast with service to match the best.

cardiff
Reviewed 21 November 2010

Stayed here on a saturday night. Location was good for Whiteladies road but that was it.
Tired hotel in need of refurbishment. Bed was cheap and shower was weak and decor depressing - reminiscent of Fawlty Towers without the charm.

We missed breakfast as there was not enough seating in the 'restaurant' and would have waited about 45 min for somewhere to sit. Just as well as our friends who did have the breakfast were unable to recommend it.

We paid £87 for B+B which was about £30 too much.

• Stayed November 2010, travelled as a couple

Travellers are raving about these Bristol hotels

Belfast
Reviewed 10 November 2010

The staff on arrival were friendly and helpful, the room was OK, the bed clean and comfortable, the breakfast filling. However, the noise level was terrible! All evening there were people running between rooms with doors banging, which I put up with. However during the night, there was constant noise from people coming and going, finally at 3:30am, the noise was so bad that I had to leave my room to ask the people in the reception to have a care for people trying to sleep. It quietened some time after that, but why did I have to do this? Why did the night porter not deal with this? If you want to sheep while away don't stay here. This hotel is only for the party people who want no sleep.

• Stayed November 2010, travelled on business
Dawlish, United Kingdom
Reviewed 17 October 2010

One of the cheapest hotels in Bristol. Don't be put off by the 2* rating. This hotel, for £45-50 per night is absolutely fine. The breakfast service and the breakfast were excellent. The room is a bit dated, granted, but it was clean and you had a choice of real leaf tea and real ground coffee in a cafetiere. You don't normally get that in a 2* hotel and there was plenty of fresh fruit too. I was pleasantly surprised and I'll certainly go back next time i'm in Bristol

• Stayed October 2010, travelled on business
Surrey
Reviewed 28 September 2010

I stayed in a single room, and was pleasantly surprised at the facilities, much better then I had expected for 3 star rating. Bed was very comfortable, great bath, lots of hot water, nice touch with the tea/coffee and toiletries. My colleague was disturbed by noise on the first night and asked to be moved and the reception staff could not have been more helpful, and she was moved to a quieter double room at no extra cost ,had had a good night sleep, no problem.
I can honestly say the reception staff at this hotel and the nicest most helpful, I have come across, they genuinely wanted to help and nothing was too much trouble, so well done!

• Stayed September 2010, travelled on business
London, United Kingdom
Reviewed 12 September 2010

Stayed in room 44 for 2 nights at an advance booking rate . Thought it was a good bargain until we discovered our bodies were covered by bed bugs bites when we returned home. My right hand alone has 11 bites.

My other complaints are: noise of water gushing through water pipe. It was especially loud at night and we couldn't get a good night rest. Also, the shower in the shower room was difficult to adjust to the desirable temperature. It was too hot.

Plus points of the hotel are: polite and friendly staffs, good breakfast, complimentary fruits in rooms.

However, no matter how good the staffs or food are, hotel with bed bugs is simply unforgivable.

• Stayed September 2010, travelled on business
JTiernay, Manager at The Washington, responded to this review, 16 September 2010
I was very sorry to hear that this reviewer had been affected by bed bugs. The issue of bed bugs is, I'm afraid, one that can affect any hotel, from 5 * to basic hostel. It is, unfortunately, extremely difficult to eradicate just through good housekeeping. Due to the increase in world travel, the number of bed bug reports has increased worldwide - the only measure we have against this is to be as vigilant as possible.

The housekeeping team at the Washington carry out daily checks of all rooms to try and identify any bed bug problems early, but given the size of the bugs and the fact that they are not trained pest controllers, this is extremely difficult and somewhat out of our control. If any bed bugs are found during these checks, or if a guest reports being bitten to reception the room is immediately closed and our pest control contracters are called to inspect it. We then carry out as many treatments as they feel is necessary to eradicate the problem. We only open the room when we are convinced all trace of the bed bugs are gone. Affected rooms are then checked more thoroughly to ensure there is no recurrence. We do pride ourselves on attaining the highest levels of cleanliness and I do wish to assure the reviewer that what happened to them is in no way a reflection of a failure to meet those standards.

I can completely understand the reviewers' grievance and would like to express my most sincere apologies for their experience here. I would like to make clear, however, that we have hundreds of happy and satisfied guests who pass through the hotel every week. We will, of course, continue to do everything we can to prevent other guests from being affected in the same way as this reviewer.