“You get what you pay for”
Review of A4 Hotel

A4 Hotel
Ranked #28 of 49 Bristol B&B and Inns
Reviewed 22 June 2014

The room was clean although the decor was somewhat dated & old-fashioned, but it wasn't the Radisson so I wasn't expecting crisp white linen & snazzy furniture. The bed was a bit lumpy but passable. The en suite was pokey & the sink was so small & crammed in between the wall & shower that I couldn't actually lean over it. The shower cubicle was also very tiny & the shower took a while to warm up, by which time the bottom of the shower had filled up. As a result taking a shower took twice as long as normal as I had to wait for the water to drain. There was no mould anywhere & everything was clean & tidy & there was a kettle & plenty of coffee/tea in the room. Clean towels etc were provided & changed daily. There was freshly made full English breakfast available, as well as cereal/toast etc & a pot of tea/coffee, which was nice. I didn't have a full English but I did have a bacon sarnie & it was delicious, & the people on the next table were exclaiming how nice their breakfast was, & it did look & smell yummy. The owners were nice enough & the gentleman was helpful. The only thing I will say is that the wifi wasn't brill & wouldn't work at all for an entire evening, which made planning my following day difficult. It's on a main road which has excellent bus links to Bristol & Bath (both no more than 20mins away I'd say) & buses are regular. Only 10 mins from Temple Meads train station. Overall it was clean & tidy, the bathroom was pokey & the breakfast was delicious.

• Stayed: June 2014, travelled solo

Reviewed 16 June 2014 via mobile

Went to a family wedding and the location was perfect. Close to city centre, and close to the reception. Would defiantly stay here again. The owner was very helpful, breakfast was 'just what the dr ordered' after a good night out. Bed was comfy, and a large room (we were in number 2)

Stayed: June 2014, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 22 May 2014

Good nights sleep, very good full english breakfast. Very kind and welcoming. Good restaurants near hotel. This is a really good value for money hotel if you are staying a few nights to visit Bristol or even Bath. Would certainly stay again and would certainly recommend. My daughter was taking an exam in Bristol and had a comfortable, good nights sleep.

• Stayed: May 2014, travelled with family
Reviewed 16 February 2014

Stayed two nights and booked it on the strength of other reviews and location. On arrival the owner gave me the key to my room and also gave me a briefing on local amenities, there are several restaurants within easy walking distance so no one need go hungry!!

My room (No5) overlooked the car park at the rear of the building, it was spotless and had all the facilities I needed and the wifi connection worked well. It was a quiet room but what it would have been like in one of the front facing rooms overlooking the busy A4 I cannot say. The car park is quite small but space is available in the adjacent residential area if required.

In the morning an excellent cooked breakfast was available in a pleasant dining room. The A4 is an unpretentious hotel offering value for money, it cut the mustard for me and I would have no hesitation in returning for another stay.

Room Tip: Would suggest a room at the rear if sleep is an issue!
  • Stayed: February 2014, travelled on business
Reviewed 21 December 2013

Photo doesn't make clear that it is reached by climbing about twenty stone steps. If you are able to find the back way in, several streets away, it's down a side alley. No welcome, I had to let myself in.The tiny room had a dirty shower, stained bedding, I couldn't bear to stay the night. Flimsy furniture, the wardrobe tipped over when I pulled the curtains from behind it.

• Stayed: December 2013, travelled on business
3  Thank jaci10
Reviewed 17 December 2013

We stayed here for one night whilst visiting Bath Christmas Market, we found it excellent value for money, the room was spacious and clean and the breakfast was lovely with a good selection to suit all tastes. I would most certainly recommend staying here.

• Stayed: December 2013
Reviewed 5 December 2013

I travelled to Bristol for a short business meeting and stayed here for two a total of nights, a very annoying two nights.

As other reviewers have stated the place is very tired looking but I could of gotten over that if it were not for all the rest of the factors that made the stay a complete chore.
The place has completely useless internet that disconnected every couple of minutes, whatever package they bought from their internet provider must be the cheapest because it is lousy.

If you need to use the internet for work reasons, dont stay here.

And then the stupidest thing I have ever come across when staying in a place, they decided to paint the toilet when I went out for my meeting!!!

I came back from my meeting to the cleaner telling me I cant go up to my room because they are painting it, Painting my room I asked incredulously? To which I was told "just painting the toilet"
The room was small enough, so painting their dinghy toilet stunk up the bedroom.
Who the hell thinks its a good idea to paint a room whilst a guest is staying there?
"Lets choke the guests, what a great idea"

The place is a bloody joke, as I already said, dont stay here.... dont waste your money.

• Stayed: December 2013, travelled on business