“welcoming”
Review of The Beeches

The Beeches
Ranked #23 of 50 Bristol B&B and Inns
Reviewed 15 January 2014

I had my wedding at the beeches it was a lovely day the staff made my day and weeks before stress free.
Staff are so friendly food was amazing.
Bridial suite was lovely I did not have anything negative to say about my day.
It was like I had know the place and staff forever.
So glad I choice this venue.

• Stayed: December 2013, travelled with family
1  Thank kerry h

Reviewed 12 January 2014

My wife and I stayed here for one night as we were attending a family bash at this hotel. Our room was very compact, the bed was small and shower room/toilet was tiny. When you were standing in the shower room it was difficult to shut the door, and the toilet was so tight to the wall it was also a challenge to use. I use hotels a lot and some of the things I come to expect as standard in much cheaper establishments just were not there eg wifi didn't work, no phone in rooms, very poor bed / facilities and no facility to charge things to your room or use a card payment at the bar...cash only I'm afraid!
I also found the timings very strictly adhered to and quite limiting eg check out by 10am breakfast finishing at 9.30 bar closing totally at around 11.30 even for guests.
Overall for £80 I feel it really was not good value for money at all, staff were pleasant enough though.

Room Tip: Ask to see the room in case you can change to a bigger one
  • Stayed: January 2014, travelled with family
2  Thank bigndav
Shar0nB1, Manager at The Beeches, responded to this reviewResponded 14 January 2014

Thank you for taking time to review your recent visit.

I am surprised that no mention of your room was made during your stay, as we would have been more than happy to change you to a room more suitable for your requirements, if requested.

The function you attended was for total and exclusive use of the venue for an anniversary party and the price of the accommodation reflects this, WIFI is available throughout the hotel and a code is required to activate this.

Regarding our Licence I did try to explain our Licence requirements to you and the bar closed at midnight as no extension was requested, but you were more interested in finding where the nearest 24hr Tesco was to purchase alcohol. Even if we are threatened with a bad review we cannot change our drinks licence.

Regarding our Licence to serve drinks after the stipulated time agreed for the function.

We received wonderful and very complementary comments throughout the evening and the following morning from many guests. What a shame your were unable to attend breakfast so we could explain to you the regulations we have to adhere to.

We always take valid customers comments and complaints very seriously, but like all other venues we have to comply with the licensing law.

Reviewed 1 October 2013

My partner and I stayed at The Beeches for two nights while we visited Cheltenham, Bath and Bristol. The building and grounds were lovely, the staff were friendly.
Our room was nice, but felt the bathroom was in need of makeover, the shower cubicle and sink were small and quite basic.

Would use The Beeches again but would hope for a bigger bathroom and space to store toiletries.

Breakfast, a good selection of everything very enjoyable. Barbara & Jeff

• Stayed: September 2013, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 25 September 2013

I stayed twice in The Beeches...both times for business and it was an absolute pleasure! Some people expect 5* facilites but is that realistic for a 18th century country home? The building is a beautiful example of this kind of architecture and the owners done well to keep the natural charm going. And talking about charm...I never met more helpful and friendly people in any hotel...and it wasn't the usual trained friendliness of a Holiday Inn...this was meant and honest! Yes, there is no restaurant facility but hey, if the evening manager spends 30 min to find you the perfect take away and then, at arrival, supplies you with knife, forks and plates...and still look after you while one has his meal in the bar...that is well beyond usual duty in my books. It gave me back the believe that the real value is the human factor and not if you can get breakfast at 6 AM or got a/c in your room...mostly requested by people who, funnily enough do not have a/c in their own house! A special thanks has to go to a certain young lady on duty which made me feel like a part of the family...a heart of gold and helping customers not because it's in the script but because she believes in it....Thank you so much "L..y" for making my stays so enjoyable. Will I stay there again?....Try and stop me!

• Stayed: September 2013, travelled on business
1  Thank Uwe H
Reviewed 24 September 2013

Needed a hotel between Bristol and Keynsham for the night so we could go to a concert. The Beeches is easy to find and has some nice country hotel charm - despite it now being almost surrounded by industrial estates.

Our room was a bit small, but comfortable enough. We got a decent nights sleep. All a bit shabby, peeling wallpaper, loose fittings, etc, but it had a decent shower and all we needed for the night.

Not the sort of place I'd go for a weekend, but for this purpose it was spot on.

• Stayed: September 2013, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 19 September 2013

Very pleasant place, staff very helpful. Would definitely return again for a short break.
Very much out of the way. No food available at evenings, very hard to find some where with amount of traffic in the area.
Mine was not a social visirt, so would return for a different occasion.

Room Tip: ask for room on first floor. ( 4 poster ). Also over looks land of hotel.
  • Stayed: July 2013, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Ted5457
Reviewed 13 April 2013

All the warning signs in the car park about removing valuables from your car were a stark welcome to the hotel. The check-in was smooth with the staff friendly and welcoming.

The room was small and completely filled with furniture and dominated by a four poster bed - there was very little room to move around it was difficult to feel comfortable and relaxed. There was old and tired t&c making facilities with odd cups but again little room to use them. The bathroom with no window and a noisy extractor fan was "pokey" with a small raised shower cubicle.

If you were out late you are issued with a code to gain access through the main entrance on your return.
The bed linen was fresh and clean but the bed was not the most comfortable and difficult to get a decent nights sleep. Security in the room wasn't great with one small lock on an old door.

Breakfast was served buffet style and with the cooked options was more than adequate to fill you up for the day. Service was cheerful and friendly.

Overall - this is not a modern chain-style hotel and maybe I missed some of its charm. The building appeared to be what was "old" Brislington Hall with a fair bit of history attached to it - free unlimited wifi is on offer which is a plus - but the place is tired and requires a fair bit of updating

• Stayed: April 2013, travelled solo
1  Thank JonnyBerlin
Also consider these accommodations in or near Bristol
Southville Guest House
#19 of 50 in Bristol
Number Thirty Eight
Number Thirty Eight
#2 of 50 in Bristol

Been to The Beeches? Share your experiences!