“Gone downhill over the years and poor now”
Review of The Clifton Hotel

The Clifton Hotel
Ranked #35 of 38 Hotels in Bristol
Kent, England
“Gone downhill over the years and poor now”
Reviewed 19 July 2013

With our son at Bristol Uni I have stayed here for over 5 years and, and until recently the great service and boutique nature (fresh fruit and coffee in the room) plus secure off road parking outweighed the fact that the rooms are very small (and I mean small!) and it was in need of refurbishment, or at least a coat of paint.

But recently we stayed and frankly never again. We booked an Executive Double Room which always used to mean a decent cosy size, fan in hot weather, and well maintained but all that has changed. Our room has a threadbare carpet, tiny windows, and a bathroom that was not quite as wide as the small bath was long. Added to that, there was no fan and when we asked for one we were told variously that it should have one but they were all in use, they didn't all have one, new ones were on order and they couldn't get any. Because of this, we got almost no sleep.

Breakfast (at Rack's in the basement) was always good value but since our last stay 12 months ago it has all changed. Everything is charged for individually (£2.50 for cereal, £1.60 for an orange juice) so a continental breakfast and toast could cost almost £10.

The secure parking is off road in a large garage (suitable for ~10 cars) but evidently the coded garage door no longer closes so it’s no longer secure.

Finally, at check out when we were asked if we enjoyed our stay and we said we had not, the person seemed more intent on arguing than listening. I suspect we were not given an Executive double room though we were charged for one.

• Stayed July 2013, travelled with family
Jess M, Manager at The Clifton Hotel, responded to this review, 25 July 2013
Dear Guest,

I am sorry to hear that you feel that the hotel has gone downhill over the years and that you did not enjoy your most recent stay with us. You will be pleased to hear that a refurbishment project will be commencing this August in order to upgrade rooms most in need including many of the carpets in the hotel. Along side this we are constantly running a rolling renewals schedule with items most in need being constantly replaced.

Due to unusually hot weather over the last weeks we did experience a shortage of fans in the hotel and did not have enough to accommodate all guests and I would like to apologize for this. We are currently experiencing some problems with the garage door meaning it works intermittently which are being looked into and we have had several companies come to investigate the problem. In the mean time however we are still able to offer guests off street parking.

I am sorry you feel that the member of staff you checked out with was arguing and I hope that they were just trying to understand your problems and explain the cause. I can also assure you that you would not have been accommodated in a room that was not the type you booked. Should you wish to stay again in the future, when I would hope that we could restore your belief in the hotel please feel free to contact me directly and I will ensure you stay in one of our recently refurbished rooms at a discounted price.

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (159)
  • Polish first
New Delhi, India
Reviewed 16 July 2013

I stayed in Clifton for one night and realized it was a real bad deal, first room (Room no 61, 3rd Floor) that was given to me was a just 9*8 feet’s or something with no window , low sealing which almost suffocated me. I immediately decided to move out of that hotel . Post which I told them either you give me a bigger room with window or I will shift to another hotel, and they gave me another room. Second room was next to the restaurant area and very inconvenient, however it was a better option than the first one and I stayed there for one night. Never seen something like that before, it was really disappointing.

Will never recommend this hotel to anyone,

Room Tip: They should demolish this hotel and build new hotel with better room size , better reception, etc...
  • Stayed July 2013, travelled on business
Jess M, Manager at The Clifton Hotel, responded to this review, 19 July 2013
Dear Guest,

I am sorry to hear that you thought our hotel was horrible and sad to hear that you will not recommend it. Also I am surprised to hear that your room did not have a window as all rooms in the hotel have windows, and many of our rooms have original features such as high ceilings and full sash windows. We aim to provide comfortable 2* accommodation at a competitive price and I am pleased that the staff were helpful in helping you find a more suitable room.

Travellers are raving about these Bristol hotels

London, UK
Reviewed 11 July 2013

I recently stayed at the hotel on a busy Saturday night. The hotel was full of stag and hen parties.

Pros:

Check in was very efficient and very friendly. The lobby area quite sweet. The bar downstairs looked nice. Good outside space for drinking, if the sun is shining. Fairly central to Clifton - in the bit which can best be described as shabby chic.

Cons:

The rooms! I had a single room - and it was really tiny (very small single bed). It had a miniscule bathroom which was just a small shower (agree with the comments below about either v hot or freezing cold) and it was more of a trickle than a shower, a loo and a tiny sink. Carpets dirty and bathroom needed to be ripped and replaced. The lift is so slow and inefficient I always took the stairs.

Overall - £58 for essentially a room smaller than most Halls of Residence rooms at the nearby university But the staff were extremely friendly, helpful and cheerful. PLEASE RENOVATE - it could be such a great little hotel.

• Stayed July 2013, travelled with friends
1 Thank London69
Jess M, Manager at The Clifton Hotel, responded to this review, 19 July 2013
Dear Guest,

I am glad to hear that there were many aspects of your stay you found pleasant, we pride our selves in providing excellent customer service which in our recent AA inspection was thought to be of a 4* level. Also we are pleased to be able to offer both a café and restaurant bar with outside seating and selling freshly prepared food.

You will be pleased to hear that starting on 5th August a refurbishment project will be commencing. This will include new carpets across much of the hotel being installed from the 9th. Should you wish to stay again in the future please do contact me directly and I will be able to ensure you stay in one of our newly refurbished rooms at a discounted price.
Bristol, United Kingdom
Reviewed 10 July 2013

The hotel was not vintage (as advertised), it was just plain old. The receptionists seemed helpful enough and the food was good, but that's all the good things i can say.
The shower was either scolding or frezzing cold and the bathroom was very basic and dated.
Al in all massively overpriced for what it can offer. My brother stayed in a hotel across the road that was cheaper and much nicer and cleaner

• Stayed July 2013, travelled as a couple
Dear Guest,

I am sorry to hear that you did not enjoy all aspects of your stay with us but glad to hear that the staff were helpful and the food was good. It is not usual for us to have issues with shower control and this will be looked into. We also run a rolling refurbishment project with rooms in need constantly being updated alongside bigger projects. Should you wish to stay again in the future please feel free to contact me directly and I can offer you a discounted rate on one of our more recently refurbished rooms.
Birmingham, United Kingdom
Reviewed 8 July 2013

My son and I stayed in The Clifton Hotel the 25th June for Bristol Uni open day. the two guys who greeted us made us very welcome. Special thanks to Nathan where nothing was too much trouble. very central to centre of Uni. room was clean and the fresh coffee and fruit a nice surprise. we had a lovely meal in the evening at the attached cafe and the breakfast was fab. We will definitely return if we come back to Bistol.

• Stayed June 2013, travelled with family
1 Thank Sazblu
Dear Guest,

I am glad to hear that you enjoyed your stay with us at the Clifton and found the staff welcoming and helpful. I hope we can welcome you back in the future should your son choose to study in Bristol.
Aberystwyth
Reviewed 6 July 2013

We arrived at just after midnight after arriving at The Travellodge only to be told that they had overbooked and there was no room for us (even though we had paid two weeks earlier!!). We actually first tried one of The Clifton's sister hotel. They were full but the gentlemen who greeted us rang around to find us room at the Clifton. He was so helpful and reassuring offering to help with our bags/parking etc. Really fantastic service!
We got to The Clifton and the service was equally fabulous. We were booked in, helped to the room - it was just amazing! Both staff (both Gentlemen) were true professionals and just so lovely! (This was on Tuesday 2nd July at about midnight!)The rooms were very clean, quiet and equipped with plenty of tea, coffee etc.
In the morning, after a lovely sleep, we went down to breakfast into a lovely cellar breakfast room. Again, the staff were so lovely and extremely professional. The breakfast was perfect with plenty of choice. We would definitely stay again and would never book travellodge for cheapness - this was much better value because you got breakfast too! Thank you for such a wonderful stay and see you very soon!
Ellyn and Shirley Pyne

• Stayed July 2013, travelled on business
1 Thank dolphinAberystwyth
Dear Guest,

Thank you for taking the time to review us, as a small and independent business feedback is extremely important to us. I am glad you were so happy with the levels f service you received as this is an area in which we pride ourselves. I hope that we can welcome you back in the future to enjoy another good sleep and breakfast.
Colwyn Bay, Wales, United Kingdom
Reviewed 3 July 2013

Very basic hotel for what you pay..we had wedding rates and these were still too expensive for what you got at this hotel! The room was awful, very basic and in need of a major refurb. On our first night we could hear talking from the room above, snoring and constant squeaking of the floorboards. Did not get any sleep on first night, so asked to be moved...receptionist very accommodating and moved us to another room no problem but have to say this room was worse than the first! peeling paint/wallpaper, very old fashioned furniture and a wardrobe with a full length mirror which you could not see in as you could not open the door fully due to the other furniture being in the way. The only good thing about this hotel was the restaurant..the food was very nice although quite a long wait for it! Parking is a nightmare and would of been helpful if this had been explained upon booking...Also asked to pay for stay upon arrival which I dont agree with. If the other hotels had not been fully booked I would of been out of there on the 2nd day. Never again...!!

• Stayed May 2013, travelled as a couple
Jess M, Manager at The Clifton Hotel, responded to this review, 5 July 2013
Dear Guest,

I am sorry to hear you did not enjoy all aspects of your stay with us. We aim to provide comfortable 2 star accommodation at a competitive price, and our recent AA report indicated that we in fact exceeded expectations in many areas. Whilst parking on the streets around the hotel is free and unrestricted it can sometimes be busy, meaning we do advise pre booking the garage we have available for guest use. I am glad that you liked the restaurant and enjoyed the food and also that you found the reception team helpful when needed.