“Good value for money”
Review of The Clifton Hotel

The Clifton Hotel
Ranked #35 of 39 Hotels in Bristol
Reviewed 22 August 2013

Personally, I enjoyed my stay here. A lot of the poor reviews are unfair. This is a budget hotel, not a 5*. The location is good, with the city centre a 15min walk downhill. There are plenty of places to eat nearby, too. The hotel's restaurant serves up some pretty good food, though it is a little pricey. I opted for the soup of the day most evenings as it's the cheapest option at £5. The room wasn't exactly spacious but I wasn't expecting a huge room.

My only real criticism is that breakfast was incredibly slow. So slow that I witnessed another visitor get fed up and leave after waiting over 25 minutes. They insist on providing table service. You can't just grab some toast yourself, or some cereal. You have to be seated and ask for what you want. Breakfast only starts at 7am. I arrived for breakfast at 7am each morning, but didn't manage to leave before around 7:40am. If you're here on business and need to be somewhere, it's quite awkward.

The breakfast was good. Expensive though. I had breakfast included in the price of my room and I'd recommend this, else you'll spend a lot more than you'd like to on a fry up. Don't go for the regular fry up; it'll be too small, judging by the size of the large one.

The staff were lovely and very helpful. If I visit Bristol in the future, I'll most likely return to the Clifton Hotel.

• Stayed: August 2013, travelled on business
Jess M, Manager at The Clifton Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 3 September 2013

Dear Guest,

Thank you for taking the time to review us. I am glad to hear you enjoyed your stay at The Clifton and found the location convenient. You will be pleased to hear that following recent feedback on breakfast service we have made a few changes! A buffet table is now present allowing guests to help themselves to drinks and non cooked items with cooked breakfast made to order. We hope that this will improve speed but still offer the same quality food. Please do come back and give it a try!

Reviewed 13 August 2013

Friendly, helpful staff but the hotel itself has seen better days. It will be interesting to see what it's like after the refurb. It was "cheap" so as ever you get what you pay for. Our room was quite big, the beds were clean and comfortable but the carpet was grubby and the bathroom very tired with a horrible shower curtain. Location was great, near Park Street/Whiteladies Road so loads of places walkable. Didn't have any food here as the Lockside Cafe is the place to breakfast if you're in Bristol. Plus loads of good eateries near by.

• Stayed: August 2013, travelled with friends
Jess M, Manager at The Clifton Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 22 August 2013

Dear Guest,

I am delighted to hear there were so many aspects of the hotel you found pleasing, that you enjoyed the location for your trip to Bristol and that the accommodation was both clean and comfortable. You will be pleased to know that over the next few weeks all of the older carpets in the hotel are being replaced and that over a rolling program we are looking to replace all shower curtains with glass screens.

Reviewed 13 August 2013

Can't believe this was only £25 for the night!

Very friendly service on the front desk. Can't really fault the room. We had a nice double bed, big sash window, TV, kettle, hair drier, fresh loose leaf t&c, bowl of fruit, biscuits, adequet size bathroom. Plenty of pillows, quilts, sheets, blanket.

Decor was a little tired, but for the money, you can't go wrong. Plus I believe they are in the process of refurbishing.

Was a bit worried about noise from the bar, as we were on ground floor. But was perfectly quiet.

Great location, walkable to city centre - but also plenty to do in Clifton area.

Would certainly stay here again if visiting bristol

• Stayed: August 2013, travelled with friends

Dear Guest,

I am glad to hear you took advantage of one of our special offers and were able to enjoy The Clifton at a discounted rate. Thank you for taking the time to review us – as a small and independent business feedback is very important to us.

Reviewed 11 August 2013

Don't be put off by the reviews! The hotel staff were friendly & helpful (especially Nathan) and went out of their way to sort out baggage,taxis, directions and helpful advice. The room was clean & comfortable. Great breakfast sitting outside in the sun with an excellent veggie option. Would definitely visit again. Maybe the decor is a bit tired but the smiley staff & good value for money more than make up for this.

• Stayed: August 2013, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Felicity S

Dear Guest,

I am so pleased that you found the hotel staff (especially Nathan!) so friendly and helpful; we pride ourselves in providing excellent levels of customer service. We look forward to welcoming you back to enjoy another sunny breakfast should you return to Bristol in the future.

Reviewed 25 July 2013

This hotel is in easy walking distance of Clifton village, the suspension bridge and the harbour área of Bristol. Clean, comfortable and excellent price/quality relationship. Good choice of breakfasts and helpful, friendly staff. No complaints from us, who always stay in budget hotels and found this to be one of the best.

• Stayed: July 2013, travelled as a couple
Jess M, Manager at The Clifton Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 29 July 2013

Dear Guest,

Thank you for taking the time to review us. As a small and independent business feedback is extremely important to us. I am pleased to hear that you found staff friendly and helpful and that you enjoyed the location for your visit to Bristol. I hope that we can welcome you back again in the future.

Reviewed 19 July 2013

With our son at Bristol Uni I have stayed here for over 5 years and, and until recently the great service and boutique nature (fresh fruit and coffee in the room) plus secure off road parking outweighed the fact that the rooms are very small (and I mean small!) and it was in need of refurbishment, or at least a coat of paint.

But recently we stayed and frankly never again. We booked an Executive Double Room which always used to mean a decent cosy size, fan in hot weather, and well maintained but all that has changed. Our room has a threadbare carpet, tiny windows, and a bathroom that was not quite as wide as the small bath was long. Added to that, there was no fan and when we asked for one we were told variously that it should have one but they were all in use, they didn't all have one, new ones were on order and they couldn't get any. Because of this, we got almost no sleep.

Breakfast (at Rack's in the basement) was always good value but since our last stay 12 months ago it has all changed. Everything is charged for individually (£2.50 for cereal, £1.60 for an orange juice) so a continental breakfast and toast could cost almost £10.

The secure parking is off road in a large garage (suitable for ~10 cars) but evidently the coded garage door no longer closes so it’s no longer secure.

Finally, at check out when we were asked if we enjoyed our stay and we said we had not, the person seemed more intent on arguing than listening. I suspect we were not given an Executive double room though we were charged for one.

• Stayed: July 2013, travelled with family
Jess M, Manager at The Clifton Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 25 July 2013

Dear Guest,

I am sorry to hear that you feel that the hotel has gone downhill over the years and that you did not enjoy your most recent stay with us. You will be pleased to hear that a refurbishment project will be commencing this August in order to upgrade rooms most in need including many of the carpets in the hotel. Along side this we are constantly running a rolling renewals schedule with items most in need being constantly replaced.

Due to unusually hot weather over the last weeks we did experience a shortage of fans in the hotel and did not have enough to accommodate all guests and I would like to apologize for this. We are currently experiencing some problems with the garage door meaning it works intermittently which are being looked into and we have had several companies come to investigate the problem. In the mean time however we are still able to offer guests off street parking.

I am sorry you feel that the member of staff you checked out with was arguing and I hope that they were just trying to understand your problems and explain the cause. I can also assure you that you would not have been accommodated in a room that was not the type you booked. Should you wish to stay again in the future, when I would hope that we could restore your belief in the hotel please feel free to contact me directly and I will ensure you stay in one of our recently refurbished rooms at a discounted price.

Reviewed 16 July 2013

I stayed in Clifton for one night and realized it was a real bad deal, first room (Room no 61, 3rd Floor) that was given to me was a just 9*8 feet’s or something with no window , low sealing which almost suffocated me. I immediately decided to move out of that hotel . Post which I told them either you give me a bigger room with window or I will shift to another hotel, and they gave me another room. Second room was next to the restaurant area and very inconvenient, however it was a better option than the first one and I stayed there for one night. Never seen something like that before, it was really disappointing.

Will never recommend this hotel to anyone,

Room Tip: They should demolish this hotel and build new hotel with better room size , better reception, etc...