“Rather tatty and in need of some TLC”
Review of The Clifton Hotel

The Clifton Hotel
Ranked #34 of 37 Hotels in Bristol
Stevenage, United Kingdom
“Rather tatty and in need of some TLC”
Reviewed 19 September 2013

I was disappointed in my stay at this hotel. The website looks good, but reality is different. For £90 (£6 parking, which is mandatory in this part of Bristol) it represented poor value for money. The room was small, the shower didn't work at all, and the en-suite light was wonky. The room and bed was clean, which is good, but the bed mattress has seen better days. Generally, the hotel had peeling paint, things not working and my overall impression is that it's desperately in need of some TLC. The fact that it was full on the day of arrival and the next day tells me it's easy to get customers in this part of Bristol, so the owners just don't bother to keep the hotel looking nice. I thought it was a poor relation to the premier inn, which I've always found to have good standards in all their hotels.

Room Tip: Go to the premier inn instead
  • Stayed September 2013, travelled with family
1 Thank terrydunn
Jess M, Manager at The Clifton Hotel, responded to this review, 8 October 2013
Dear Guest,

You will be pleased to hear that we are currently amidst a refurbishment project with several rooms being fully refurbished and many others being updated where needed. If you are returning to Bristol please contact us directly and we can ensure you stay in one of our recently refurbished rooms.

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (159)
  • Polish first
Cambridge, United Kingdom
Reviewed 15 September 2013

Although the single room I had was adequately furnished, and the bathroom was clean and well lit, my weekend in Bristol was totally spoilt by the attitude of the staff. It was implied by the female receptionist when I went to check out that I was trying to get away with paying for not one, but TWO breakfasts. I was staying there by myself and she told me I had had two breakfasts in the dining room. When I said I hadn't had breakfast at all she checked with the restaurant and insisted they said I had two breakfasts. There was no pleasant exchange suggesting they could have made a mistake. She argued with me like a school child in the playground. When I asked her to get the person who said I'd had breakfast to come to reception, she took no notice. In the end she charged me for the room, but implied that I was lying as she said it was very strange that the bill stated that I'd had breakfast. There was no apology or attempt to put me at ease. Also there was a complete lack of common sense as she insisted I'd had two breakfasts when I was on my own! Having written to the hotel when I got home, I have still not received even a reply from them, let alone an apology. I;ve never experienced such treatment in any other hotel. It was quite extraordinary and very upsetting.

• Stayed September 2013, travelled solo
3 Thank Dee s s
Jess M, Manager at The Clifton Hotel, responded to this review, 19 September 2013
Dear guest,

I am extremely sorry that you feel that you were treated poorly by a member of our staff, and especially so as we pride our selves in providing high levels of customer service. I will be speaking with all members of front of house staff regarding how they deal with errors on the bill as it would never be our intention to make any of our guests feel anything but positive about their stay. I am glad that despite this issue you found the accommodation clean and comfortable.

Travellers are raving about these Bristol hotels

Alsager
Reviewed 12 September 2013

Whilst the staff were friendly and efficient the facilities were very dissapointing. I stayed one night whilst in Bristol working for a charity and did not book this hotel myself. It was selected for location and value the former being good but the latter not. I was expectant when I checked in and was told I had an 'Executive single room'. Unfortunately when going to the room it did not live up to its billing. Whilst the room was clean, it was tiny, the bathroom was squeezed into a corner, the walls had had a damp problem which meant the wallpaper was peeling off and there was large orange damp stains on the wallpaper. W-fi was provided at an exorbitant rate (£10 per day) which in todays electronic world seems ludicrous especially as this was supposed to be an 'Executive room'. Breakfast in the morning was generally cold, both food and hot drinks and took an age to arrive. I would not recommend this hotel, it reminded me of my daughters shared student house, which for those of you who have been through this experience with your children will sum it up

Room Tip: Check out the room before you accept it as a number of rooms have damp problems and are very small
  • Stayed September 2013, travelled on business
1 Thank David P
Dear guest,

I am glad you found the room to be clean but sorry that you did not find it an adequate size for your needs. Our Single rooms offer comfortable but compact accommodation for the solo traveler, and this is reflected in the price difference between these and the double rooms; many guests are pleased to have this option. Rather than increase our prices to include free wifi for all we keep them low by charging for those who chose to use it at £4 for a day (£10 for unlimited use as we have some guests who stay several weeks) It is also free if you use the café or restaurant areas. I will pass on your comments regarding breakfast to our restaurant manager and following feedback on service being slow at times we are setting up a pre order system for business or other travelers who need to be out quickly in the morning.
Norwich, England, United Kingdom
Reviewed 1 September 2013

The bed was comfortable, the shower effective, the staff welcoming. This is a few minutes walk from the centre of Bristol, and represents great value for money. OK, so the rooms are a little shabby, but if you are staying for one night on business does that matter? If yes, be prepared to pay a lot (and I mean a lot!) more money at better known chain hotels in the city centre. The breakfast arrangements are a little confusing; we paid an extra £5 each on top of the room rates but it was not clear from the breakfast menu to what this entitled us (I ended up with toast and tea). The extra £5 also entitled us to "complimentary" fresh fruit, and tea making facilities in the rooms, a deal that seems to redefine "complimentary". But try finding a café that will provide any sort of breakfast for a fiver, let alone the fresh fruit and tea. If I need to stay overnight in Bristol again, I'll come back here.

Room Tip: Worth paying £5 to have tea making facilities in the room, plus the breakfast
  • Stayed June 2013, travelled on business
1 Thank Clive S
Jess M, Manager at The Clifton Hotel, responded to this review, 3 September 2013
Dear Guest,

I am glad to hear you enjoyed your stay with us. Following recent feedback we have simplified the breakfast system to one option including a breakfast buffet as well as cooked options should you wish. All our rooms also have complimentary fruit and fresh tea and coffee so I hope you enjoy these again when you return.
Droitwich, United Kingdom
Reviewed 27 August 2013

We stayed on Sunday 25th August 2013 as Mum , Dad and baby Molly at 22 months . We stayed in room 22 which was comfortable but we could have done with a bigger space . I asked the reception staff when booking if it was child friendly and was told it was . I asked about parking and we could pre book but could probably get on road FOC parking . I pre booked their own parking provisionally at £6.50 and glad I did . Bristol is one of the hardest cities in the UK to find car parking spaces . We paid £61 for the night , but looks like we could have negotiated cheaper . This is not a Child Friendly hotel as you cannot get a pram or pushchair in easily and coming to think of it , nor a wheelchair . The reception isn't a proper Reception , it 2 people behind a table , who are more like an interview panel . It seemed a shame to disturb them as they give the appearance of been more important than the customers . I asked about help getting our luggage and baby stuff to our room and may well have asked them to organise a moon landing . The corridors are cramped and in need of a makeover with a carpet upgrade . The hotel car park is useful and covered , but as an extension of the hotel , needs the peeling paint on the ceiling repainting and old furniture throwing away . The Tarmac leading to the garage needs resurfacing . The Rack Restaurant is busy unlike the Caffe and has an excellent bar manager from Northern Ireland who recognises a customer when he sees one . We had 2 drinks each with a main course for £38 for myself , wife and baby with the 15% hotel discount . On the Monday morning , we decided not to even ask for a breakfast at reception as it looked like it would be hard work , so onwards to breakfast at Bristol Zoo for a welcome Bacon Butty . The Wifi is obtainable free with a coffee , but they wouldn't serve us a coffee as the coffee machine had just been cleaned . They did provide a nice blanket for our travelling cot when asked . This hotel is for younger weekenders and with a bit of love could sell out with experienced staff . It's seen better days , but could return as it is a surberb location for Clifton and the University .

Room Tip: Ask for a room away from Racks and on the first floor . Ask about about the cost of extras and negot...
  • Stayed August 2013, travelled with family
Dear Guest,

I am sorry to hear that you didn’t enjoy all aspects of your stay but glad that you liked the restaurant. The hotel is child friendly in that we welcome children in the hotel, provide roll away beds or cots and games in the café area. The entrance does have a few steps to the front however there are always staff on hand to help carrying bags or push chairs and I am extremely disappointed to hear that you were not helped. I will be addressing the customer service issues with staff working at the time.
Bristol, United Kingdom
Reviewed 27 August 2013

Noisy until the early hours; rooms not up to standard; reserved car parking space occupied by someone else; overcharged for breakfast and refund refused; customer service awful. It seems we overpaid substantially compared to other reviewers. Having emailed a complaint on the day of departure and no reply or acknowledgement received; wrote directly to the Managing Director and 2 weeks on, still no reply. If you are 18 and want a cheap place to stay, probably ok, but otherwise avoid at all costs.

• Stayed August 2013, travelled with friends
2 Thank PJMB1941
Dear Guest,

We aim to provide comfortable and clean budget accommodation so I am sorry to hear that you feel your room was not up to standard. I am sorry also that another guest parked in your reserved space and that you were overcharged for breakfast. I hope that a refund was not refused and instead that there was some sort of miscommunication. Customer service is an aspect of the hotel we particularly pride ourselves on and often receive complements about. Any letters of any nature received regarding guest experience with us are treated with high regard, as genuine feedback is the best way for us to make positive improvements to the hotel. Please don’t feel yours has been ignored and please do send it again should you wish and I will be happy to respond.
Leuven, Belgium
Reviewed 22 August 2013

Personally, I enjoyed my stay here. A lot of the poor reviews are unfair. This is a budget hotel, not a 5*. The location is good, with the city centre a 15min walk downhill. There are plenty of places to eat nearby, too. The hotel's restaurant serves up some pretty good food, though it is a little pricey. I opted for the soup of the day most evenings as it's the cheapest option at £5. The room wasn't exactly spacious but I wasn't expecting a huge room.

My only real criticism is that breakfast was incredibly slow. So slow that I witnessed another visitor get fed up and leave after waiting over 25 minutes. They insist on providing table service. You can't just grab some toast yourself, or some cereal. You have to be seated and ask for what you want. Breakfast only starts at 7am. I arrived for breakfast at 7am each morning, but didn't manage to leave before around 7:40am. If you're here on business and need to be somewhere, it's quite awkward.

The breakfast was good. Expensive though. I had breakfast included in the price of my room and I'd recommend this, else you'll spend a lot more than you'd like to on a fry up. Don't go for the regular fry up; it'll be too small, judging by the size of the large one.

The staff were lovely and very helpful. If I visit Bristol in the future, I'll most likely return to the Clifton Hotel.

• Stayed August 2013, travelled on business
Dear Guest,

Thank you for taking the time to review us. I am glad to hear you enjoyed your stay at The Clifton and found the location convenient. You will be pleased to hear that following recent feedback on breakfast service we have made a few changes! A buffet table is now present allowing guests to help themselves to drinks and non cooked items with cooked breakfast made to order. We hope that this will improve speed but still offer the same quality food. Please do come back and give it a try!