“Average only because of the restaurant noises and smells” 3 of 5 bubbles
Review of The Clifton Hotel

The Clifton Hotel
Ranked #35 of 37 Hotels in Bristol
London, United Kingdom
“Average only because of the restaurant noises and smells”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 4 November 2013

I stayed here with two friends in a family room. We also managed to get a free parking space on the road, but be warned, they are hard to come by.

Pros: Very good value at £40 each for two nights accommodation. Room was large, as was the bathroom. Room was clean enough, we had fresh coffee and tea and a television. Staff were extremely helpful and accommodating. Reception area was lovely, cosy and inviting.

Cons: Our room was on the ground floor and we had a large sash window, but the hotel was absolutely stiflingly hot and we had to open the window.

The window wouldn't stay open so we had to prop it up. Unfortunately the restaurant extractor fan was right below our window and the smell from the kitchens was absolutely sickening. It really spoiled our experience.

When I returned home, all my clothes, my hair, my bag had that horrible greasy kitchen smell, it permeated everything. Everything had to go in the wash, even the things I didn't wear.

There was a large ceiling fan above the bed, but it was so caked in dust we couldn't put it on. Not least because we would have been covered in dust, but also because my friend is asthmaic.

On Sunday morning at 8AM we were very cross to be woken up by very very loud music from the restaurant, boom, boom, boom and what sounded like thousands upon thousands of glass bottles being tipped into something. Then came the greasy smell of cooking again making us feel sick.

It is a shame that the restaurant (which I found to be below par) spoiled our experience in the hotel, because other than the above cons, I thought The Clifton Hotel represented good value for money. If you go, don't expect the Ritz, but when you are paying reasonable rates, this is ok.

We would definitely return, but this time I will request a room that is not being ruined by the sounds and smells from the restaurant below.

Room Tip: Ask for a room that is not permeated by the smells and sounds from the restaurant below. You'll...
  • Stayed November 2013, travelled with friends
Jess M, Manager at The Clifton Hotel, responded to this review, 5 November 2013
Dear Guest,

I am so sorry to hear that your stay was spoiled by the noise and smells form the restaurant. I will be looking into the issues with the room and what we can do to address them. I am pleased however that there were many areas you enjoyed and do hope you come back and stay again in the future in an alternative room.

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (150)
  • Polish first
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 3 November 2013 via mobile

This is a hotel where things are ok. Ok room, ok bed, ok service etc. The breakfast is good though and gives a decent choice. There was no TV in my room but that was fine. It's central and close to Clifton and the city centre. I'll be back when I'm back.

Stayed November 2013, travelled with friends
Jess M, Manager at The Clifton Hotel, responded to this review, 4 November 2013
Dear Guest,

I am very surprised to hear you room did not have a television as all our rooms have flat screen TVs. I'm glad you were pleased with the service and facilities and found the location of the hotel convenient. I hope we can welcome you back in the future.
Northampton, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 27 October 2013

We booked this based on the reviews on tripadvisor on the basis that we knew it would be different. We were not disappointed. We parked in the side street for free and had one of the recently updated rooms. Yes it was compact but fine for the one night we were staying. The personal touches - ground coffee, loose tea and a bowl of fruit were lovely touches that you dont usually get from a hotel of this excellent value. Everyone we met was friendly and helpful. We did not eat at the hotel but we will definitely use this hotel again - please don't start charging silly prices and loose your uniqueness!

Room Tip: We had refurbed room which was compact but fine.
  • Stayed October 2013, travelled as a couple
1 Thank YvieC
Jess M, Manager at The Clifton Hotel, responded to this review, 29 October 2013
Dear Guest,

Thank you for taking the time to review us – I am glad you found the ‘something different’ you were looking for. I hope we can welcome you back in the future, book direct over the phone or online for the best value rooms!
Cambridge, United Kingdom
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 25 October 2013

This must have been one of the smallest hotel rooms I have ever stayed in.
Breakfast was awful. Supposed to be granola with "fruit salad", basically a bunch of enormous grapes, accompanied with a few pathetic looking strawberries. It took place in a kind of bar in the basement of the hotel, with tacky (and loud) music playing in the background.
Also, I got stuck in the elevator for a brief moment, though it eventually started to work again. The carpeting on the walls of said elevator makes me think this is so that no one can hear you scream.

Room Tip: Don't stay in one of the single rooms.
    • 1 of 5 bubbles
Jess M, Manager at The Clifton Hotel, responded to this review, 29 October 2013
Dear Guest,

I am sorry to hear that you were so unhappy with your stay at The Clifton. Our single rooms are smaller than our doubles and designed for the solo traveller on a short trip and this is reflected in the pricing. As a listed building all our rooms are different shapes and sizes so anyone with particular requests is encouraged to book directly so we can ensure you go into the most suitable room. I am sorry also that you didn’t enjoy breakfast – many guests are pleased with the range of breakfast choices on offer in the downstairs restaurant described as having ‘stylish décor and a relaxed atmosphere’
Sussex
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 24 October 2013

It is good value, the staff are very pleasant, it is clean but it could do with a lick of paint. Racks Bar underneath has style, a wide choice of beers but a limited menu. A single room is cosy, but adequate but doubt the shower would cope with anything but a slim person...good water pressure thou. Parking on offer was already full on our arrival and it would not be free even if available......A good location and Bristol is a great City. An honest place, so will probably use it again on another trip.

Dear Guest,

I am glad you enjoyed your stay and found the hotel good value and would choose to stay again. You will be pleased to know we have our painter in as I write this working on areas in need! I hope we can welcome you back in the future.
Nottingham, United Kingdom
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 23 October 2013

There's a lot of good things to be said about this hotel. The food in the Racks Restaurant was very good value, and tasty. In the room there was fresh fruit, ground coffee and loose tea as well as the instant packet stuff and, if you asked for it, fresh milk. But it looked as though the hotel had recently been taken over after being neglected for years (I don't know if this is the case, just the impression it gave); the décor was very 1970s with lots of varnished wood and much of the paintwork was yellow with age and chipped and bashed about a bit. That didn't really bother me as it was clean and tidy, the size of my room was fine - not huge but perfectly reasonable - and I was in a side room where there was no traffic noise, so I was able to have the window open all night. But I had to put a spare pillow at the base of the door because the gap underneath was so big a lot of light come through. And the bed was very hard and uncomfortable - something that could be solved by a good mattress topper. In other words in needs a lot of updating and general refurbishment to make it a really good hotel. My biggest complaint, however, is that owing to road works by the Water Board, the water had been cut off. This meant that in the evening I only had hot water, but even worse in the morning I only had cold water in the hand basin and my shower didn't work at all. I had a wash by boiling the kettle, filling the basin with hot water and using the spare hand towel as a flannel to sponge myself down, but I couldn't wash my hair. I know the hotel was not to blame for the water problem but they could have done a lot more to keep the guests informed about what was happening (a note slipped under the door for example) and at least tried to put something in place to make things work better. Instead it felt as if they were trying to ignore it and only apologised if a guest complained, and then passed the buck. It may not have been their fault, but it was their problem and they did nothing to try to solve it. This was a great shame as potentially it could have been an enjoyable stay. Could do better.

Dear Guest,

I am glad you enjoyed our on site restaurant and hope you made use of the 15% discount offered to guests of the hotel. I am pleased also that you found the room well appointed and comfortable.

I would like to apologise for the problems with water during your stay. After telling us the water supply would be cut off early hours of Tuesday morning for around 15 minutes, which would not have affected guests, Bristol water then started works later than planned and made multiple errors leading to intermittent water supply for Tuesday and Wednesday. We were told mixed stories from Bristol Water as to what the issue was and when it would be solved meaning we tried our best to keep guests updated but it was not always easy. I was liasing constantly with the water supplier and external contractors were also brought in to try to solve the problem.

I am very sorry that your stay was affected in this way but hope that you do now feel that we were trying to address the problem and it will not be an issue again in the future. If you are returning to Bristol please do contact me directly and I can offer you a discounted rate on one of our recently refurbished rooms.
Leicester, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 23 October 2013

We weren't sure what to expect but we were knocked out by this hotel. Our arrival was complicated by roadworks right outside the hotel and it did take a couple of turns of the block to find the car-park. This is the only negative - not obvious to find, rough access and very tight parking - but we can live with that. Lovely welcome from the staff and a well-appointed and comfortable room, The bathroom is small but with very modern furnishings and very clean. There is no bath but we rarely use them in hotels anyway. The location is excellent - a few minutes walk takes you into the main Clifton Village or onto Whiteladies Road, We ate in restaurants in Clifton but did use the cafe at the front of the hotel for a light breakfast. This was cheap - toast, bagels tea and coffee and absolutely fine. We didn't get to use the bar and restaurant downstairs. We paid £59 for the room through a website but we would have paid less if we had paid the hotel directly. In summary, the hotel is friendly, has personality, offers decent sized rooms and facilities. We usually stay in 4* chain hotels but we would definitely stay here again. We consider it to be a real find. NB the beds are firm,

• Stayed October 2013, travelled with family
1 Thank Robert H
Dear Guest,

Thank you for thank you for taking the time to review us. I am glad to hear that you enjoyed your stay and found the staff friendly. In view of recent comments regarding the parking we are looking to address the entrance and the parking in the garage. I hope we can welcome you back to the hotel if you are in Bristol in the future.