“Good value for money and super staff”
Review of The Clifton Hotel

The Clifton Hotel
Ranked #35 of 39 Hotels in Bristol
Reviewed 11 November 2013

The personnel in this hotel were all exceptionally nice. The room was good, the fresh fruit and real coffee and leaf tea provided were much appreciated. The television was basic, the shower not very powerful, no extras provided either, but on the whole we thoroughly enjoyed our 3 nights here, and would return. The cooked breakfast, served in the very interesting cellar rooms, was excellent.
There was a muddle about the booking however. It seems it is more straightforward to book via the internet, and much cheaper - so be warned! Apparently they had a lot of new staff who didn't know the ropes, but all very very friendly.

Room Tip: Ask for one away from the bar!
  • Stayed: November 2013, travelled as a couple
Jess M, Manager at The Clifton Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 12 November 2013

Dear Guest,

I am glad to hear you enjoyed your stay with us and found staff friendly and helpful. We do have a few new team members following internal promotions and I am sorry for any confusion with your booking - you will always be able to get the best rate by booking direct over the phone or on our website and we can match any rate you have seen elsewhere on-line. I hope we can welcome you back in the future for another stay and to enjoy the fresh tea and coffee and our breakfast in the morning once again!

Reviewed 6 November 2013

As mentioned below, tiny room and a cupboard for a bathroom, curtain wouldn't close and toilet cistern hanging off the wall.

A 2 night stay, so the above would have been just about tolerable if the room wasn't above a bar that had a DJ set booming out until 12.30am, not good if trying to get a child to sleep or even if you want to hear your own TV in the room.

Didn't try the breakfast, but it took one of the staff over 10 minutes to make 3 coffees.

Room Tip: Not the first floor as the bass from the bar travels through up through the floor.
  • Stayed: November 2013, travelled with family
Jess M, Manager at The Clifton Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 8 November 2013

Dear Guest,

I am sorry to hear that you consider our hotel one to avoid. As a listed building rather than a purpose built hotel all our rooms are different shapes and sizes with different original features. Should you stay again please do phone and ask for a larger room and bathroom. I am sorry also that you were disturbed by noise from the bar. We endeavour to warn guests on evenings there may be noise disturbance reallocate rooms where this is an issue for guests. Should you wish to return in the future please do get in contact and I can ensure you stay in one of our larger and quiet rooms at a discounted rate.

Reviewed 4 November 2013

I stayed here with two friends in a family room. We also managed to get a free parking space on the road, but be warned, they are hard to come by.

Pros: Very good value at £40 each for two nights accommodation. Room was large, as was the bathroom. Room was clean enough, we had fresh coffee and tea and a television. Staff were extremely helpful and accommodating. Reception area was lovely, cosy and inviting.

Cons: Our room was on the ground floor and we had a large sash window, but the hotel was absolutely stiflingly hot and we had to open the window.

The window wouldn't stay open so we had to prop it up. Unfortunately the restaurant extractor fan was right below our window and the smell from the kitchens was absolutely sickening. It really spoiled our experience.

When I returned home, all my clothes, my hair, my bag had that horrible greasy kitchen smell, it permeated everything. Everything had to go in the wash, even the things I didn't wear.

There was a large ceiling fan above the bed, but it was so caked in dust we couldn't put it on. Not least because we would have been covered in dust, but also because my friend is asthmaic.

On Sunday morning at 8AM we were very cross to be woken up by very very loud music from the restaurant, boom, boom, boom and what sounded like thousands upon thousands of glass bottles being tipped into something. Then came the greasy smell of cooking again making us feel sick.

It is a shame that the restaurant (which I found to be below par) spoiled our experience in the hotel, because other than the above cons, I thought The Clifton Hotel represented good value for money. If you go, don't expect the Ritz, but when you are paying reasonable rates, this is ok.

We would definitely return, but this time I will request a room that is not being ruined by the sounds and smells from the restaurant below.

Room Tip: Ask for a room that is not permeated by the smells and sounds from the restaurant below. You'll...
  • Stayed: November 2013, travelled with friends
Jess M, Manager at The Clifton Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 5 November 2013

Dear Guest,

I am so sorry to hear that your stay was spoiled by the noise and smells form the restaurant. I will be looking into the issues with the room and what we can do to address them. I am pleased however that there were many areas you enjoyed and do hope you come back and stay again in the future in an alternative room.

Reviewed 3 November 2013 via mobile

This is a hotel where things are ok. Ok room, ok bed, ok service etc. The breakfast is good though and gives a decent choice. There was no TV in my room but that was fine. It's central and close to Clifton and the city centre. I'll be back when I'm back.

Stayed: November 2013, travelled with friends
Jess M, Manager at The Clifton Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 4 November 2013

Dear Guest,

I am very surprised to hear you room did not have a television as all our rooms have flat screen TVs. I'm glad you were pleased with the service and facilities and found the location of the hotel convenient. I hope we can welcome you back in the future.

Reviewed 27 October 2013

We booked this based on the reviews on tripadvisor on the basis that we knew it would be different. We were not disappointed. We parked in the side street for free and had one of the recently updated rooms. Yes it was compact but fine for the one night we were staying. The personal touches - ground coffee, loose tea and a bowl of fruit were lovely touches that you dont usually get from a hotel of this excellent value. Everyone we met was friendly and helpful. We did not eat at the hotel but we will definitely use this hotel again - please don't start charging silly prices and loose your uniqueness!

Room Tip: We had refurbed room which was compact but fine.
  • Stayed: October 2013, travelled as a couple
1  Thank YvieC
Jess M, Manager at The Clifton Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 29 October 2013

Dear Guest,

Thank you for taking the time to review us – I am glad you found the ‘something different’ you were looking for. I hope we can welcome you back in the future, book direct over the phone or online for the best value rooms!

Reviewed 25 October 2013

This must have been one of the smallest hotel rooms I have ever stayed in.
Breakfast was awful. Supposed to be granola with "fruit salad", basically a bunch of enormous grapes, accompanied with a few pathetic looking strawberries. It took place in a kind of bar in the basement of the hotel, with tacky (and loud) music playing in the background.
Also, I got stuck in the elevator for a brief moment, though it eventually started to work again. The carpeting on the walls of said elevator makes me think this is so that no one can hear you scream.

Room Tip: Don't stay in one of the single rooms.
  • Stayed: October 2013, travelled on business

Dear Guest,

I am sorry to hear that you were so unhappy with your stay at The Clifton. Our single rooms are smaller than our doubles and designed for the solo traveller on a short trip and this is reflected in the pricing. As a listed building all our rooms are different shapes and sizes so anyone with particular requests is encouraged to book directly so we can ensure you go into the most suitable room. I am sorry also that you didn’t enjoy breakfast – many guests are pleased with the range of breakfast choices on offer in the downstairs restaurant described as having ‘stylish décor and a relaxed atmosphere’

Reviewed 24 October 2013

It is good value, the staff are very pleasant, it is clean but it could do with a lick of paint. Racks Bar underneath has style, a wide choice of beers but a limited menu. A single room is cosy, but adequate but doubt the shower would cope with anything but a slim person...good water pressure thou. Parking on offer was already full on our arrival and it would not be free even if available......A good location and Bristol is a great City. An honest place, so will probably use it again on another trip.

• Stayed: October 2013, travelled on business
Jess M, Manager at The Clifton Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 25 October 2013

Dear Guest,

I am glad you enjoyed your stay and found the hotel good value and would choose to stay again. You will be pleased to know we have our painter in as I write this working on areas in need! I hope we can welcome you back in the future.