The Clifton Hotel
  • Breakfast included
  • Bar/Lounge
  • Pool
  • Restaurant
All reviewsfresh fruitloose teaground coffeenight portercity centrevisiting bristolstayed here for one nightcliftonuniversity
FilterAll languages
Reviewed 22 December 2013

Not enough room to swing a cat!

The shower was pathetic.

Not much choice at breakfast.

Hotel staff not very helpful.

Very, very dirty around and under the bed.

I would recommend spending your money elsewhere but certainly not at the 'Washington' (a sister hotel) just down road.

• Stayed: December 2013, travelled on business
Jess M, Manager at The Clifton Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 23 December 2013

Dear Guest,

I am sorry to hear that you didn't enjoy your stay with us. As a listed building with original features our rooms all differ in shape and size and this is reflected in the price charged. I am particularly upset that you did not find staff helpful as customer service is an area we pride ourselves on,and was mentioned in our recent AA review as being of a 5* standard. Following your review your room has been deep cleaned and I am sorry that it wasn't as it should have been.

Reviewed 16 December 2013

I wanted somewhere to lay my head after attending a concert in Bristol, leaving early to catch the train back to London. The Clifton Hotel fitted the requirement very well. The single room was extremely small but size is not important given the requirement. The room provided some fruit and filter coffee, which served as a late dinner. Racks bar below the hotel is a good option for food and drink, but on this occasion there was no time. Previous guests have mentioned being disturbed by noise within and without the hotel, but I wasn’t. Getting up in the dark during the night, when I switched the bathroom light on, it flashed briefly and the whole lighting circuit in the room tripped out. Then, as I tried to get around in the dark I broke the cafetiere, and trying to pick up the pieces I cut my finger. No early morning coffee for me!

Dear guest,

I am sorry to hear that there was a problem with the lighting in your room. Should you stay in the hotel again in the future and have any problems please do let us know as we have staff on duty twenty four hours a day to help. I hope you enjoyed your concert and found the Clifton a suitable place to rest your head.

Reviewed 15 December 2013

Stayed here this weekend and was very disappointed with the quality of the rooms at this hotel. The front and cafe area are lovely but the rooms are out of date and are in desperate need of a good clean, fresh paint and new furniture. On the first night we arrived late and our room was on the second floor. It had mould on the ceiling in the bathroom, the shower was so small I couldn't use it and when I put the shower on to try it, the room filled with steam as the extractor didn't work. The room itself was falling apart. After very little sleep due to the noise from other guests I complained the next morning and was moved rooms straight away. The gentleman on reception was fantastic. Unfortunately the room I was given was next to the marquee bar outside and it was far too noisy to sleep in. Also the beds in the new room had awful mattresses that were so soft it was uncomfortable to sleep on. Needless to say I checked out and didn't stay the night. Very expensive weekend for two poor rooms and no sleep.

• Stayed: December 2013, travelled with friends
Jess M, Manager at The Clifton Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 16 December 2013

Dear Guest,

I am very sorry you didn't enjoy your stay with us. We run a rolling refurbishment program with all in need items and areas being constantly updated when needed. We have also started a larger scale refurbishment with several rooms having been completely refurbished. I am glad that you found staff friendly and helpful when moving rooms. Should you wish to stay in the future please do contact me directly on jess.milford@cliftonhotels.com and I can ensure you experience one of our newly refurbished rooms at a discounted price.

Reviewed 12 December 2013

Stayed on11th December and wanted a hotel near the Colston Hall.
Location perfect for us,,value for money very good,loved the fresh ground coffee and fruit in the room.
Staff very friendly and helpful.
Lounge area looked very welcoming.
Parking roadside or private parking at £6.
Food looked really good and plenty of customers eating at the restaurant below
The bathroom needs an overall,water in hand basin warm or hot no cold water.Shower intermittent hot and cold water and no pressure more like a dribble than a jet spray.
Walls in the bedroom need repainting and in behind the dresser,as the painter has painted around the dresser
Would I stay there again,YES.
But would want an upgrade from the room we stayed in No 9 for the points mentioned.

Room Tip: not number 9 because of the shower and its on the side road.

Dear Guest,

Thank you for taking the time to review us. I am glad you were pleased with the staff and felt the hotel offered value for money and I hope you enjoyed your event at Colston Hall! I am sorry that this was marred by the décor and the water issues you experienced. Following your review I have prioritised room 9 for decorating and the water problems have been investigated and solved. I hope we can welcome you back in the future please do contact us directly and we can ensure you stay in one of our recently updated rooms.

Reviewed 12 December 2013

Cheap hotel, good location, but expect as much sleep as the person that gets in last and wakes up first. An old building that creaks, thin walls meaning next doors tv may as well be in your room, doors that slam.

Room Tip: Try and get away from the very popular bar on the ground floor and away from any other residents!
  • Stayed: December 2013, travelled on business

Dear Guest,

I am sorry to hear that you were disturbed by noise from other guests in the hotel. During the festive season particularly, and as we are a city centre hotel people are coming and going at different times and although we have staff on duty to try to prevent disturbance some people are still not respectful of others sleep. If you are staying again in the future please let us know and ask for a quiet room where we can do our best to ensure there is minimal disturbance.