“worst sleep ever”
Review of The Clifton Hotel

The Clifton Hotel
Ranked #35 of 39 Hotels in Bristol
Reviewed 30 March 2014

It is evident from all my other reviews that I am not a serial moaner BUT this hotel was one of the worst I have ever stayed in. The shabby fittings, shoebox size rooms,stale smells and general dilapidated air were bad enough. For example we sat down in the reception area and a light bulb fell out of the ceiling fitting, narrowly missing my head, whilst the hapless staff looked on and shrugged. However the real purpose of my review is to explain the noise issue. I realised too late that others had made this observation - but since we had booked an extended family outing with many rooms and several elderly relatives it seemed too complicated by then to change everything. So when we checked in I commented on the noise problem and was assured that we would be placed on the quiet side of the hotel. Apparently the noisy side overlooks the large terrace bar. The receptionist did warn us that there was one hen and one stag party staying in the hotel - and the hens (which he said looked a noisier group were alas on our floor). We entered our ground floor room keen to have a short rest before dinner. But all around there was noise. Worst of all was a strong drum beat - so any prospect of resting was out of the question. When we queried the noise the receptionist said that this was the live band below us in the nightclub area, limbering up for the night. However she said their stint would be over at 9.
So we all went out for dinner - incidentally at a really great restaurant nearby called Goldbrick House. We returned at 10.30 and the live band was louder than ever. My husband switched on Match of the Day at full volume, but even then he could not hear the football commentary over the music. Our room was vibrating to the beat from below. And even our elderly relatives on the second floor said that they could hear it, although thankfully on this occasion their hearing is somewhat impaired. The night receptionist said that the band would in fact play until 11, but then it would be only the DJ which would be less intrusive ! Yet after 11 the noise level hardly changed - and we were told this would now last until 12.30. The receptionist said he would try to ask the barman to turn it down, but this never happened. He said he could not offer us another room as the hotel was fully booked.
It seems verging on fraud to call this place a hotel - if one understands that as a place where guests are supposed to be able to spend a night's sleep. This place is rather more a hen party hostel - and staying on the ground floor one might as well be sleeping in the middle of the dance floor below. There is no pretence at sound proofing.
Incidentally we had been made to pay in full when we checked in or else we would have simply left and gone elsewhere. I asked to speak to the duty manager and the receptionist tried to get her on the phone, but when he got no response, said apologetically 'she usually switches her phone off when she goes to sleep- - lucky her. He promised she would be there in the morning and we could discuss some compensation with her. Evidently this is common practice on Saturday night when he works - although I must say he was really trying his best to be helpful and I felt rather sorry for him having to field so many complaints. At midnight the receptionist told us that someone else had in fact now left and gone elsewhere, so offered us another room - still on the ground floor but further from the epicentre of the noise. We moved all our things and could finally fall asleep. However we were still disturbed intermittently by noisy nearby guests. And at 4am there was much drunken carousing outside - as we were now on the 'noisy' side of the hotel! In the morning there was no sign of a manager - but we were offered a derisory 10% refund to make up for our discomfort- which barely covered the cost of the hotel parking!
The lesson to learn. I wish I had properly taken notice of the Tripadvisor comments which preceded me and made more effort to go elsewhere. And like the previous reviewer at least I had a good laugh at the loyalty programme leaflet. NEVER EVER AGAIN.

• Stayed: March 2014, travelled with family
Jess M, Manager at The Clifton Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 7 April 2014

Dear Guest,

I am very sorry to hear about your stay at The Clifton and disappointed in the level of care and service provided to you. I am sorry you were given misleading information as to when the music would play until and that you were disturbed by noise from other guests and the bar.

I am working to put in place systems to ensure that guests are pre warned of any potential noise issues so they can make an informed decision on their booking. I am sorry that you were not able to speak to a manager - it is untrue that any of the managers switch of their phone when sleeping - it is part of the job role to always be available when needed and this is something I will be addressing with the receptionist who told you this.

Should you be returning to Bristol in the future please do contact me directly at jess.milford@cliftonhotels.com and I will ensure one of our newly refurbished rooms in a quiet are of the hotel is made available to you at a discounted price.

Reviewed 25 March 2014 via mobile

Let's get the pluses out of the way first:

1) it's in a good location.

Now let's explore the minuses:

1) it's filthy. 2) it smells of dead people and sick. 3) it's unbelievably noisy. 4) there isn't room to swing a cat. 5) did I mention that it smells of dead people and sick?

Try not to retch the instant you step into the elevator and close the door.

Go on: I dare you.

Staying here made me feel lousy, cheap and undervalued. They should tell people on their website that if they've ever spent a pleasant night in an hotel before in their lives, they should avoid The Clifton, as no amount of self-delusion could possibly lead to their expectations being sufficiently lowered that they could tolerate a stay in this lousy hovel.

Funny but true: as I was checking out, they asked me if I would like to join their loyalty programme.

Stayed: March 2014, travelled on business
1  Thank TrippoDicko
Jess M, Manager at The Clifton Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 31 March 2014

Dear Guest,

I am very sorry and quite upset to hear how little you enjoyed your stay at the Clifton. The smell of the hotel is not an aspect anyone had commented on before and cleanliness is something we pride ourselves on receiving generally high feedback on. I hope that you are never faced with the choice of death or staying with us again in reality, as I can see this would be a difficult decision for you.

Reviewed 24 March 2014

I stayed here for one night and thought it was really good! The staff were really helpful, made you feel welcome and efficent. The room was fine, no problems and the food was nice and in a great location and good value for money. I couldn't fault it!

• Stayed: March 2014

Dear Guest,

Thank you for taking the time to review us. As a small and independent business feedback is very important to us. I hope that we can welcome you back in the future.

Reviewed 23 March 2014

We required a hotel in Clifton with parking facilities which was provided by the Clifton. Having read other reviews I made sure that our room was located away from the main sources of noise - above the bar. In fact our room was on the 2nd floor and to one side - overlooking Westbourne Place.
We arrived early and were able to leave our car in the garage at 12.15 with the receptionist's blessing.

Yes, there was noise at night but this was down to an inconsiderate guest who poured his pathetique heart out over the 'phone at 3.30am. I did knock on his door but, due to his emotional state, he took no heed. I only hope that the 'Olivia' to whom he was speaking has seen the light and kicked him into touch.

Breakfast was fine. With due respect you get what you pay for. Our priority was for secure parking but more upmarket hotels with parking facilities couldn't accommodate us for just one night.

We were impressed by the demeanour and helpfulness of the staff. I would only advise potential guests not to leave anything to chance - arrive earlier than 14.00 if you want car parking and make sure that you have asked in advance for a room away from noise sources. It may help to put a notice on your door requesting guests' consideration in respect for a child sleeping within.

Room Tip: Rooms on the 2nd floor looking over Westbourne Place are more peaceful.
  • Stayed: March 2014, travelled as a couple
Jess M, Manager at The Clifton Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 24 March 2014

Dear Guest,

Thank you for taking the time to review us, as a small and independent business feedback is very important to us. I am glad to hear that you were pleased with the helpfulness of the staff and that the Clifton provided a comfortable budget location for your overnight stay with all the facilities you needed.

Reviewed 17 March 2014 via mobile

We stayed Saturday 15th March, the hotel is very dated although the room we had had been recently decorated, the bed was so uncomfortable all you could feel were springs poking through ! There was a stag party staying there and the noise was terrible it went on all night , they were shouting and running up and down the corridors. If you want to sleep don't pick this hotel to stay in! We couldn't wait to leave this place and were out by 8 o'clock Sunday morning . What an experience!

• Stayed: March 2014
Jess M, Manager at The Clifton Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 20 March 2014

Dear Guest,

I am sorry to hear that you did not have a comfortable night sleep with us at the Clifton. Following your comments we will be auditing all beds in the hotel to renew where necessary. I am sorry also that you were disturbed by other guests in the hotel. We have staff present 24 hours a day to minimalise problems such as these and do try to pace groups together where possible. Please do contact us directly if you are in Bristol in the future and we can ensure you are allocated a quiet room.

Reviewed 16 March 2014

Stayed here last night following a wedding.
Very dated hotel and rooms need a makeover. Mattress and pillows hard.
The worst thing was the noise caused by a group of men on a stag do. First lot of noise was at 3am. My daughter asked them to hush or go to bar. With much door banging of doors, off they went ,only to come back after a couple of hours with much loud talking, door banging and knocking on doors.
Until groups of people on stag does are banned from this hotel just don,t go there!!!
On a positive note, the restaurant had a good atmosphere and the breakfast plentiful and well cooked.

Room Tip: unless you,re on a stag do, don't go at weekend!
  • Stayed: March 2014, travelled with family
1  Thank chriskenWestMidlands
Jess M, Manager at The Clifton Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 17 March 2014

Dear Guest,

I am pleased that you enjoyed your breakfast and the restaurant and so sorry you were disturbed by noise. We staff the hotel 24 hours a day and our night staff are always on hand to help control noise made by returning guests. We try to keep any groups to lower floors and together to avoid noise to other guests where possible. Should you be returning to Bristol in the future please do give us a call and we can ensure you are allocated quiet rooms away from any groups.

Reviewed 7 March 2014

A mixed review. Stayed for 3 nights on business. Positives: great staff, excellent food, great vibe in the bar/restaurant and coffee bar, good location. A bit "grungy"/bohemian, but it added to the charm. Negatives: small single room, old/dated furnishings, creaky floors, thin walls, old carpets. Would love to rate it higher but it needs a major refurbishment. Personally I would stay there again.

• Stayed: February 2014, travelled on business

Dear Guest,

I am glad to hear that you would stay with us gain in the future and enjoyed the vibe, food and staff. You will be pleased to hear that we are running a rolling refurbishment replacing areas most in need on a routine basis so thank you for your feedback to help us with this.