“Perfect”

Ranked #35 of 38 Hotels in Bristol
Cardiff, United Kingdom
“Perfect”
Reviewed 25 April 2014

Admittedly I stayed here a while ago so things may have changed but my experience of The Clifton Hotel is that it was a lovely place to stay. I stayed for two nights on a business trip and my expenses were paid so i cannot comment on the value for money but can highly commend everything else!

I stayed for two nights and the room was beautifully presented, immaculately clean and much larger than a usual one bed hotel room. Instead of just the usual complimentary tea and coffee and biscuits there was also a generously filled fruitbowl which was replenished daily.

The bed was very confortable and my sleep was not disturbed by noisy guests or anything else. A colleague whose room was on the 1st floor did complain about noise so maybe the ground floor (where I slept) was quieter.

Staff all helpful adn friendly without being intrusive and the breakfasts are AMAZING. There is a good choice of hot and cold food and I had the vegetarian cooked breakfast both mornings; toast, hash brown, tomatoes, baked beans, egg, home made veggie sausage and mushrooms all cooked to prefection.

The Hotel is also in a great location, within a quiet street but also just off the busy Whiteladies road on whichc there is plenty to do.

Would definitely recommend.

Room Tip: My room was on the ground floor adn was very quiet.
  • Stayed August 2013, travelled on business
1 Thank mynamebeginswithN
Louise_Parkin, Manager at The Clifton Hotel, responded to this review, 28 April 2014
Dear Guest,

Thank you for so much for taking the time to post this wonderful review. I am delighted to hear that you enjoyed every aspect of your stay, especially the friendliness of our staff at The Clifton Hotel. I am also pleased that you found the complimentary items in the room, fresh coffee and fruit, to be a nice touch. I will certainly be passing on your comments to all members of my team.

We really look forward to welcoming you back at The Clifton.

Louise Parkin

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (165)
  • Polish first
Gillingham, United Kingdom
Reviewed 21 April 2014

We used this Hotel simply as somewhere to come back to at night to sleep, We stayed on a monday night and didn't notice any noise from the bar although maybe because we were on the top floor, The room wasn't huge but it served its purpose and considering we only paid £40 for the night it was adequate. The bar was ok and didn't notice any smell or problem with dirt. a nice extra wa that as we booked direct with the hotel the WiFi was included as were the fruit and biscuits in the room

• Stayed April 2014, travelled as a couple
Dear Ian-Deb R,

Thank you for your review. It is always brilliant for us to hear customer feedback and I am so glad to hear that overall you were happy with your stay and the great location of the hotel. I am happy to hear that you enjoyed the free wifi for booking directly with us and the little extra complimentary items that we have in the rooms for all guests.

Once more I would like to say thank you for your comments and we hope to welcome you back at the Clifton again soon.

Louise
London, United Kingdom
Reviewed 20 April 2014

What a fiasco....how can this Hotel really charge anything for the displeasure of staying in it.
Why did they not inform me over the phone that they play live music at weekends...how can they charge anyone for being kept awake by thumping bass vibrations well into the early hours.
Why would anyone choose to stay there??

By being insistent following a sleepless saturday night I was given a full refund...that tells you something. I would have moved elsewhere but did not have the energy at 10.30pm to start ringing round alternative hotels.

Come on Clifton...look at the mostly unfavourable reviews and do something about this. You have no right to charge anyone and must warn anyone booking that you are not a hotel, just a stag party venue for people who want to get blathered.

Room Tip: Go elsewhere.
  • Stayed March 2014, travelled with family
2 Thank carol f
Louise_Parkin, Manager at The Clifton Hotel, responded to this review, 22 April 2014
Dear Carol F,

I am really disappointed to hear that you did not enjoy your recent stay with us as a result of the loud music during the night.

Over the weekend the hotel is usually very busy and we normally do have various groups staying with us. However, we do endeavour to contact all guests prior to arrival to let you know about any events that are taking place within the hotel. We also try our very best to pre-allocate carefully guests who would prefer to have a quiet stay at the top of the hotel rather than on the ground floor. I am very sorry that you did not receive this before staying at The Clifton and should you wish to stay with us in the future please do not hesitate in contacting me directly and I will personally ensure you have a quiet room at the top of the hotel.

Thank you very much for your honest feedback which will help us to improve our communication with guests with regards to functions happening within the hotel.

If you wish to discuss any issues further then please do not hesitate in contacting me directly at the hotel on 0117 973 6882.

Louise Parkin

Travellers are raving about these Bristol hotels

Brighton, United Kingdom
Reviewed 20 April 2014

We stayed here only one night as we were just visiting. Staff were friendly enough, however i thought it was overpriced. We had to pay for parking which would be understandable however the car park was like a derelict building which seemed really unsafe, especially at night. OverAll it was ok but if there are cheaper hotels, try those.

• Stayed May 2013
Dear Mujde H,

Thank you so much for taking the time to review The Clifton Hotel. We really appreciate any feedback as it enables us to focus on areas that we can improve on so that we provide the best possible service for all of our guests. I am very pleased to hear that you found our staff to be friendly and I will be passing this on to all of the team. With regards to our hotel car park, we are looking into ways in which we can improve its surroundings to make it more pleasing to the eye. We do make sure that it is secure however, with regular patrols both during the day and throughout the night.

Once again, thank you for your comments and should you wish to discuss any of points above then please do not hesitate in contacting me directly at the hotel on 0117 973 6882.

London
Reviewed 30 March 2014

It is evident from all my other reviews that I am not a serial moaner BUT this hotel was one of the worst I have ever stayed in. The shabby fittings, shoebox size rooms,stale smells and general dilapidated air were bad enough. For example we sat down in the reception area and a light bulb fell out of the ceiling fitting, narrowly missing my head, whilst the hapless staff looked on and shrugged. However the real purpose of my review is to explain the noise issue. I realised too late that others had made this observation - but since we had booked an extended family outing with many rooms and several elderly relatives it seemed too complicated by then to change everything. So when we checked in I commented on the noise problem and was assured that we would be placed on the quiet side of the hotel. Apparently the noisy side overlooks the large terrace bar. The receptionist did warn us that there was one hen and one stag party staying in the hotel - and the hens (which he said looked a noisier group were alas on our floor). We entered our ground floor room keen to have a short rest before dinner. But all around there was noise. Worst of all was a strong drum beat - so any prospect of resting was out of the question. When we queried the noise the receptionist said that this was the live band below us in the nightclub area, limbering up for the night. However she said their stint would be over at 9.
So we all went out for dinner - incidentally at a really great restaurant nearby called Goldbrick House. We returned at 10.30 and the live band was louder than ever. My husband switched on Match of the Day at full volume, but even then he could not hear the football commentary over the music. Our room was vibrating to the beat from below. And even our elderly relatives on the second floor said that they could hear it, although thankfully on this occasion their hearing is somewhat impaired. The night receptionist said that the band would in fact play until 11, but then it would be only the DJ which would be less intrusive ! Yet after 11 the noise level hardly changed - and we were told this would now last until 12.30. The receptionist said he would try to ask the barman to turn it down, but this never happened. He said he could not offer us another room as the hotel was fully booked.
It seems verging on fraud to call this place a hotel - if one understands that as a place where guests are supposed to be able to spend a night's sleep. This place is rather more a hen party hostel - and staying on the ground floor one might as well be sleeping in the middle of the dance floor below. There is no pretence at sound proofing.
Incidentally we had been made to pay in full when we checked in or else we would have simply left and gone elsewhere. I asked to speak to the duty manager and the receptionist tried to get her on the phone, but when he got no response, said apologetically 'she usually switches her phone off when she goes to sleep- - lucky her. He promised she would be there in the morning and we could discuss some compensation with her. Evidently this is common practice on Saturday night when he works - although I must say he was really trying his best to be helpful and I felt rather sorry for him having to field so many complaints. At midnight the receptionist told us that someone else had in fact now left and gone elsewhere, so offered us another room - still on the ground floor but further from the epicentre of the noise. We moved all our things and could finally fall asleep. However we were still disturbed intermittently by noisy nearby guests. And at 4am there was much drunken carousing outside - as we were now on the 'noisy' side of the hotel! In the morning there was no sign of a manager - but we were offered a derisory 10% refund to make up for our discomfort- which barely covered the cost of the hotel parking!
The lesson to learn. I wish I had properly taken notice of the Tripadvisor comments which preceded me and made more effort to go elsewhere. And like the previous reviewer at least I had a good laugh at the loyalty programme leaflet. NEVER EVER AGAIN.

• Stayed March 2014, travelled with family
Jess M, Manager at The Clifton Hotel, responded to this review, 7 April 2014
Dear Guest,

I am very sorry to hear about your stay at The Clifton and disappointed in the level of care and service provided to you. I am sorry you were given misleading information as to when the music would play until and that you were disturbed by noise from other guests and the bar.

I am working to put in place systems to ensure that guests are pre warned of any potential noise issues so they can make an informed decision on their booking. I am sorry that you were not able to speak to a manager - it is untrue that any of the managers switch of their phone when sleeping - it is part of the job role to always be available when needed and this is something I will be addressing with the receptionist who told you this.

Should you be returning to Bristol in the future please do contact me directly at jess.milford@cliftonhotels.com and I will ensure one of our newly refurbished rooms in a quiet are of the hotel is made available to you at a discounted price.
London, United Kingdom
Reviewed 25 March 2014 via mobile

Let's get the pluses out of the way first:

1) it's in a good location.

Now let's explore the minuses:

1) it's filthy. 2) it smells of dead people and sick. 3) it's unbelievably noisy. 4) there isn't room to swing a cat. 5) did I mention that it smells of dead people and sick?

Try not to retch the instant you step into the elevator and close the door.

Go on: I dare you.

Staying here made me feel lousy, cheap and undervalued. They should tell people on their website that if they've ever spent a pleasant night in an hotel before in their lives, they should avoid The Clifton, as no amount of self-delusion could possibly lead to their expectations being sufficiently lowered that they could tolerate a stay in this lousy hovel.

Funny but true: as I was checking out, they asked me if I would like to join their loyalty programme.

Stayed March 2014, travelled on business
1 Thank TrippoDicko
Jess M, Manager at The Clifton Hotel, responded to this review, 31 March 2014
Dear Guest,

I am very sorry and quite upset to hear how little you enjoyed your stay at the Clifton. The smell of the hotel is not an aspect anyone had commented on before and cleanliness is something we pride ourselves on receiving generally high feedback on. I hope that you are never faced with the choice of death or staying with us again in reality, as I can see this would be a difficult decision for you.
Reviewed 24 March 2014

I stayed here for one night and thought it was really good! The staff were really helpful, made you feel welcome and efficent. The room was fine, no problems and the food was nice and in a great location and good value for money. I couldn't fault it!

• Stayed March 2014
Jess M, Manager at The Clifton Hotel, responded to this review, 31 March 2014
Dear Guest,

Thank you for taking the time to review us. As a small and independent business feedback is very important to us. I hope that we can welcome you back in the future.