“Intriguing” 4 of 5 bubbles

The Clifton Hotel
Ranked #35 of 37 Hotels in Bristol
“Intriguing”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 19 July 2014 via mobile

We stayed here as our friends had a wedding reception in Racks restaurant that is underneath the hotel.

We didn't use the car park as managed to get park outside the hotel on the street right outside. I must admit on arrival I was a little nervous as the hotel reception is a desk. However the room was a nice size and well maintained.

My only issue was the hotel was absolutely boiling; I know it was hot, but it was so hot. The hotel needs to manage to sort this. Apart from that, everything was good and to a good standard. I think the bonus is being connected to racks, because the food for breakfast helped my opinion.

Stayed July 2014, travelled with family
Louise_Parkin, Manager at The Clifton Hotel, responded to this review, 4 August 2014
Dear flytrap55,

Thank you for taking the time to post this review. I am pleased to hear that you had a pleasant stay with us and enjoyed the facilities provided. Thank you for your valuable feedback regarding the heating, we are looking into ways that we can improve this in summer.

Thanks once again for reviewing The Clifton Hotel and we very much hope to see you at the hotel again when you are next in the city.

Warm Regards,

Hotel Manager

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (150)
  • Polish first
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 17 July 2014

This hotel although only two star is friendly, has a good secure car par, at 6.50 per day, and has some nice individual touches. The room we had was a twin, clean, with tea facility and fresh fruit on arrival. Towels on beds made into swan shape and looked attractive . Bathroom adequate, a little hot in the room but not noisy at night. We did,nt gave breakfast so cannot comment on that. A good priced hotel worth considering for a weekend break in this super city

• Stayed July 2014, travelled with family
1 Thank Nicola633
Dear Nicola633,

Thank you for your valued comments in your feedback about your recent stay with us at the Clifton Hotel. I am pleased to hear that you enjoyed the extra touches provided in your room such as the fresh fruit and swan towels.

We look forward to seeing you again at The Clifton when you are next in Bristol.

Warm regards,

Hotel Manager
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 14 July 2014 via mobile

The quality of the furnishings in the tiny single room I had was very poor - reminiscent of a backpackers hostel rather than an £80/night hotel. The water pressure in the shower was terrible, and both the bathroom and the bedroom didn't seem to have been cleaned very well.

The one saving grace was the staff working at the reception desk who were very friendly and nice, though I felt sorry for them as I saw them having to deal with a number of complaints each time I was walking past. I think they were let down by the management and housekeeping who should take responsibility and sort out the rooms to a higher standard.

The fluorescent bedroom light made a horrible buzzing noise which made it unbearable to sit in the room with the light on. The wifi, which I had to pay extra for, cut out halfway through the night.

I think that this hotel needs to either vastly lower its prices to make it more competitive with similar budget, rough and ready Bristol accommodation, or bite the bullet, close down for a while, and completely refurbish the hotel.

Stayed July 2014
United States
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 8 July 2014

Beware... I booked a single room in this "cheap" hotel (in quality maybe, but not in cost) thinking that at least I'd get a couple decent nights of rest, based on the pictures of the place. The room was absolutely NOTHING like the pictures! I suppose they took a bunch of shots of one of the "executive" rooms, and craftily made no mention on the website as to what kind of room was being shown. It was definitely not a single room.

The miniscule room was hot, and the carpets clearly hadn't been cleaned in a few days. There was a door in the room that I'm assuming was a closet, but I never did find out because it was stuck shut. The Wi-Fi (which I had to pay extra for) would only work when I took my laptop to the corner of the room next to the tiny window (and even then, it disconnected about half the time). The bathroom featured a dirty plastic shower curtain (not the glass doors you see in the photos). The included toiletries were "hand soap" and "shampoo/body wash" that were eerily identical, the latter of which was utterly useless because there was mostly water in the bottle (not sure if this was intentionally watered down or a result of poor placement). I could hear everything going on in the rooms around me, including full conversations, coughs, sneezes, and what television programs people were watching. And in the morning, one of the maids came into the room without knocking... how lovely.

Do yourself a favour and stay far away from this place.

• Stayed June 2014, travelled solo
3 Thank 934emc
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 4 July 2014

I stayed two nights the last week of June 2014 because I attended a conference at the university. So I chose this place mainly for the location, that it was good for my needs.

The room was small but adequate for a single room but very very hot even in the night! The carpet was stained and old. The mattress not too bad. The bathroom was a very bad surprise. No glass to put the toothbrush. Shower ok. The horrible thing was that the toilet bowl was dirty (yes, dirty of poo (second time it happens to me in UK!!!). I showed a picture of the toilet at the reception, the lady apologised and told me that it would have been cleaned the next day!!! Of course I continued to complain and she offered me to use another bathroom at the -1 floor (my room was at the second floor). Unbelievable!!!

The second night I couldn't sleep very well because of strange noises (like water in pipes or something similar).

Once for breakfast I ordered two poached eggs. Not too nice to see and the yolks were too liquid.

I wouldn't go back and wouldn't suggest to friends.

• Stayed June 2014, travelled on business
      Location
      Sleep Quality
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
Louise_Parkin, Manager at The Clifton Hotel, responded to this review, 7 July 2014
Dear Laurettatta

Thank you for your constructive feedback. We value all comments in order to better the service that we provide for guests.

I am really disappointed to hear that there were cleaning issues with your bathroom and have addressed these problems with my house-keeping team to make sure that this does not happen again in the future. I am terribly sorry that this problem was not dealt with immediately as we aim to provide the most efficient service for all guests. I would like to reassure you that our guest experience is our number one priority and we do take your feedback very seriously.

Please do not hesitate in contacting me directly at the hotel on 01179736882 to discuss your stay further. Thank you once again for your detailed feedback, as it assists us to prevent these problems in the future.

Chelmsford, United Kingdom
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 2 July 2014

Shower dirty had hair in tray, Cigarette end on floor,,, first room got locked in bolt on door stuck,,, complained lots time was told they refunded me bck on my card what a jokeeeee this is I checked with my bank no refund at all, every time I mailed I was told the manger was alway on hoilday god I wish I had that many hoildays,, £55.00 the night I paid I rather of slept on street in sleeping bag, in need of new carpets must b years old , in need of chanceing cleaning urgently , very very disappointed with hotel and staff ,

Stayed May 2014, travelled as a couple
1 Thank angiebae
Dear angiebae,

Thank you for taking the time to review The Clifton Hotel, we really do appreciate all constructive comments to be able to improve the services and standards we provide as a hotel. I would like to reiterate my commitment, as mentioned in my previous correspondence, in addressing the various points you have raised. With regards to the refund, I personally put through the refund on the day that I spoke to you for £55.00. However, straight away after your query regarding the refund, my assistant manager in my absence phoned our card processing company to confirm the payment which they confirmed had gone through and she spoke with you directly about this. However, I will be in touch later today regarding this refund issue.

I can only apologise that the hotel did not live up to your expectations, and I am always disheartened when guests leave the hotel dissatisfied.

Thank you once again for your comments and feedback.

London, United Kingdom
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 30 June 2014

My boyfriend and I booked a night at this hotel because of how easy it is to get to the university from here (literally around the corner). We'd read a few reviews but were honestly surprised at how good it was. We had room 33 on the first floor and, although small, it was perfect for the night. We had a lovely balcony that let the air in and the amenities were lovely. The shower was amazing, better than the one I have at home. We found that the price was a bit expensive, considering it didn't include the breakfast next morning. We booked with the website and so had free wifi which ran out after watching two youtube videos which was a bit disappointing. I would stay here again, however, because the location is perfect and the breakfast was delicious.

Room Tip: Room 33 is right at the end of the corridor so we had a lovely, quiet night sleep.