“Filthy, Noisy, Unacceptable”

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Bristol
Bristol Backpackers Tourist Hostel
“Filthy, Noisy, Unacceptable”
Reviewed 10 June 2012

It is misleading to call this a backpackers hostel as it is almost entirely a hostel for Spanish workers and students. It is filthy, the kitchen often crowded, bedbugs are an ongoing problem which the management will not deal with. 24 hour access but staff off duty at 11 so many strangers allowed access. Theft is a problem, as is noisy drunks and drugs. Long termers wander round in their pyjamas, sleep on sofas overnight. Police often turn up searching for people late at night. Wifi free but hard to access, very slow. . Staff behave as if it is their home. Helping visitors seems like an effort to them. Better to go elsewhere, or, given the alternatives, give Bristol a miss altogether. There are plenty of other cities to visit.

Room Tip: Go elsewhere
  • Stayed November 2011, travelled solo
5 Thank JulesF91

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (14)
Hertfordshire
Reviewed 14 May 2012

I stayed here with a friend for a last minute weekend away. We didn't actually spend much time there but we found the dorms and facilities to be clean, the beds comfy and the staff helpful. The location is great for a night out on the waterfront and being a five minute walk from the ferry service it was also a great launchpad for exploring the city.

The kitchen facilities were OK. People didn't seem to be bothered about cleaning down the benches after they have used them and I can see this would get annoying if you were staying here longer term. But for the one evening that we cooked in here it really was not an issue!

• Stayed May 2012, travelled with friends
1 Thank Dani-Elizabeth86
Glasgow
Reviewed 2 May 2012

I stayed here for 2 nights (Saturday & Sunday) as I was visiting Bristol to get a very expensive tattoo but didn't want to spend any more money than I had to. At £16 per night, I couldn't complain! The hostel was right in the city centre, close to all transport links & shops. I didn't do any sightseeing unfortunately.

The hostel is in a really old building with quirky features I liked. Although it's old, I thought it had character. The staff at the front desk was friendly & gave me clean bedding & showed me up to my bunk bed, where I was sharing a room with 3 bunk beds for a total of 6 girls. It was quiet during the night, despite being in a busy area. No curfew so you can come & go as you please using a pin code for the door.

The bed was clean & comfortable, I had a great sleep. The only thing I didn't like was that the gas central heating was on all night long & it was far too hot, with no way of turning down the heat. There was large storage boxes under the beds for items, mirror on the wall, basic showers/toilets & a large kitchen with dining table for people to use. You can make your own dinner & store food in your own boxes etc. Free tea, coffee & hot chocolate was a bonus!

There's sofas & a chill out area but I found it was far too busy, heaving with Spanish tourists & I had to sit in my on the floor in the corner to drink my tea & eat some food as it's not allowed in the bedroom. I'm not shy but didn't bother talking to anyone as they all seemed too pre-occupied with phone calls or their internet/laptops.

Room Tip: The radiators were on full heat, all night long & it was roasting hot! Ask if you can get a roo...
  • Stayed April 2012, travelled solo
1 Thank KittyVonShuShu
Reviewed 18 November 2011

Blocked toilets, bedbugs, dangerous electrics, shabby, unheated, dirty overcrowded kitchen, stoves don't work, food theft common, wifi keeps crashing, noisy drunks rampaging round building, staff often rude, barely speak English. Long timers mostly Spanish workers who shout at each other, ignoring everyone else. Should be renamed as backpackers fled long ago. If you complain, they tell you to go elsewhere. Customer service? Don't make me laugh!

Room Tip: go elsewhere
  • Stayed October 2011, travelled with friends
3 Thank Bob S

Travellers are raving about these Bristol hotels

Reviewed 20 September 2011

Arrived there unexpectedly after my plans changed and I had to find a place in Bristol to stay. The guy on reception seemed friendly enough, cost me £16 to stay there. The dorm had about 12 people in it (male) and had a relatively good night, waking up once or twice from others coming in late, but that is expected as there is no curfew here. I didn't really get a chance to see around the rest of the hostel, however the showers and toilets were clean (though small) and the free wi-fi was a bit slow but very useful. It is in a lively part of Bristol, lots of things to do nearby, would recommend it to young people who want to see more of the city.

Room Tip: I think if you sleep away from the dorm's door, it would be a quieter night.
  • Stayed September 2011, travelled solo
1 Thank Peter A
West Wyalong, Australia
Reviewed 13 September 2011

I lived in this hostel for 20 months beginning in Jan 2010 - a large number of the people staying are long termers. This creates quite an atmosphere, but can be a little daunting to solo travellers who are not so confident (I was there for a week before I spoke to any of the 'long term' crowd! Do persevere though, they're a friendly bunch once they know your name!). Lots of Aussies, Kiwis, South Africans, Canadians, French, Spanish and Italians.

The facilities are pretty good, although most of the building would benefit from a coat of paint (this is a long ongoing process that the staff are working on). There's a pretty big kitchen (I've cooked meals for 30 people in there before...), a movie room that gets a lot of use, free wifi, and of course the bar, where a lot of backpacker bonding takes place!

The bathrooms are a little grotty in places, but generally fairly clean. And honestly, the best showers I've ever had - great pressure and very reliable, I had the water go cold on me once in 20 months! (Not quite sure what that other guy a few reviews down is on about, perhaps he couldn't work the taps properly? They are a bit confusing at first)

I cannot recommend this place strongly enough. It might have its flaws (but hey, it is a hostel after all!) but you will leave this place with a bunch of new friends and a lot of fantastic memories!

Room Tip: They have girls only dorms, mixed dorms and all boys dorms, as well as a couple of small private roo...
  • Stayed August 2011, travelled as a couple
3 Thank TamaraM86
Belfast, United Kingdom
Reviewed 29 June 2011

I Love This Place and I come back every year its great crack and very clean A+++++++++++ People working here are very friendly and helpful there is a Music Room downstairs in the Basement with various Guitars and a Piano it also has a Laundry Room and even a Bar down there. The Bar was great Crack I had checked out various Bristol Pubs but they where all very quiet on a Tuesday night but this place was buzzing. There is also a Television Room with a Huge Flat Screen TV and various DVDs to watch and free WI Fi and other internet access . A great Kitchen area with free tea and Coffey and other free stuff + nice seating areas with tables and settees . Beds where comfortable great hot Showers. Bristol is also a cool City for any traveller and I have enjoyed every minute of my stay ,it has everything you would find in London + a lot more and everything is near by the Hostel and the Staff are always on hand with helpful Travel advice . The Hostel itself is set within a huge Tudor Building with vaulted ceilings and ornate original features that you just wouldn't find in a hotel you will also meet various travellers from around the world with similar interests . I just love this Place .
Check it out its great.