“Not impressed with the attitude of management. Unwelcoming and unclean.”

Bristol Backpackers Tourist Hostel
We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Bristol
Bristol Backpackers Tourist Hostel
“Not impressed with the attitude of management. Unwelcoming and unclean.”
Reviewed 27 February 2011

Me and my British friends have stayed at hostels throughout the world, and were happy to stay in a uk hostel when needing to stay in Bristol for the weekend.

The staff were miserable upon arrival. The beds were stained with various marks on mattress and sheets, and the shared toilet on our level was unhygienic and blocked up with excrement.

I would have hoped uk hostels to have been some of the best in the world but sadly not so. Poor effort guys.

• Stayed February 2011
4 Thank happylovinggypsy

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (14)
Bristol
Reviewed 19 August 2010

First impressions....

I asked for the code for the WiFi, the duty manager with a thick foreign accent said it's D9 time 5, but I didn't understand initially and asked for clarification. Upon doing so, he said, 'it's not rocket science'. Okay, I speak English pretty well - I was born in London, lived in the UK all my life, sorry for the having to ask again due to your accent. He was right though, it wasn't rocket science, it was just rude of him. Anyhow, now I have the WiFi code his rudeness prompted me to write this review. Also for the fact I asked for a beer from the bar which the duty manager closes at his descretion (see website) he had just closed it, but how hard would have have been to get a can from the fridge. Hey, I'm here for another 6 nights, hopefully if I talk to him again he'll ask me to repeat myself.... 'hey, it's not rocket science buddy'... but at least I'll have a smile on my face when I say it...

• Stayed August 2010, travelled solo
1 Thank Coolagreen

Travellers are raving about these Bristol hotels

Sydney, Australia
Reviewed 4 July 2010

Having spent 3 nights at the Rock n Bowl Hostel around the corner, we had to move as it was booked out (not happy). Bristol Backpackers came to the rescue with a dorm bed. Nothing flash mind you nor clean but did the job. Thanks

• Stayed June 2010, travelled with friends
UK
Reviewed 23 October 2009

Sayed there a few times over the Summer and recently. It was OK for the first few times and then I got covered in bites, thought they were insect bites, unfortunatley they have proved to be bed bug bites. Teh place need to be fumigated!!!

• Stayed October 2009, travelled on business
4 Thank Itchy04
Bristol, United Kingdom
Reviewed 19 September 2009

This place is cheap but its cheap for a reason-its a dump. The rooms are tiny, the bathrooms were actually too small for me, so if your over 6ft, be warned, mould on some ceilings and surfaces, dirty carpets, filthy furniture. The management are young and friendly but unfortunately they arent very proactive and they dont really enforce the rules that are displayed around the place. Security wise its not very safe, so be careful with your stuff. There seemed to just be alot of people just hanging around all day drinking cheap cider and being generally annoying. Ive stayed in plenty of hostels and this place just doesnt cut the standard set by better and adequately priced hostels in mainland europe and other parts of England. HOWEVER, if you are a more relaxed traveller and dont mind that kind of thing then im sure you would love this place as the people that were here seemed to like the vibe.

• Stayed September 2009, travelled solo
2 Thank Gryff
dublin
Reviewed 2 March 2009

I do not recommend Bristol Backpackers Hostel. I am very used to staying in hostels but this one has to be one of the worst. Within ten minutes of being in the place I wanted to leave. The private rooms are so cramped there's wasn't enough room to put my bag on the floor.
My roommate found cigarette butts down the side of her bed. The mold on the ceiling and walls in the shower was so bad it was thick with fuzz. The carpets and hallways were really dirty. The toilet on the second floor wasn't flushing and worst of all some of my colleagues were badly bitten by bed bugs!

• Stayed February 2009, travelled on business
3 Thank nicolastevenson
London, United Kingdom
Reviewed 19 December 2007

I stayed at the Bristol Backpackers for 2 nights recently while vising Bristol.

Backpackers hostels are a bit different from YHA hostels, they have lots of long-term residents, many of which become quite a family. Most of the people who stay at them are young, and like to go out at night.

If you go to the Bristol Backpackers with this in mind, you will have an enjoyable experience and not be put off.

The wireless internet was free - bonus! but with so many on laptops, the bandwidth wasn't always super fast - but .. you know... beggers/choosers etc.

The room was a 12 or 16 bed dorm, with quite a number of very well moved in long-term residents in it. The bed was very comfortable and clean, the bathrooms were kept pretty clean, certainly not off-putting . Most wonderfuly, they had put carpet along the door frame so that doors couldn't be slammed, or indeed, make any noise at all when you close them.

Unlike my housemates, I had to get up at 5:30am - so I was in bed by 10:30pm - the only one in the room at that time. I put in the ear plugs and barely noticed as loads of my roomies came in later and had loud conversations 2 beds over, not even noticing me. - NOTE - *EARPLUGS* - they will solve any problem you might have with the backpackers - don't go there expecting to check in to silence-ville - you'll set yourself up for dissapointment - it's not a realistic expectation. A mobile phone set on vibration under your pillow will work as a great alarm clock for those wearing earplugs. If you can't sleep with lights on.. bring eye-shades.

I had a solid, comfortable sleep 2 nights in a row - and with my torch - I was able to get up and ready at 5:30 without disturbing any of my roommates who had all dragged into bed just a few hours earlier. NOTE: * torch* - a small hand torch will make it very easy to function in a big dorm at odd hours without disturbing your roomies.

One warning - don't even TRY or THINK about drinking the "free coffee" they offer in the resident's kitchen. and if you do, whatever you do, don't put any of the "whitener" in it. this is a sickening combination of chemicals that may leave it's rancid traces in your mouth all day. - the tea is probably fine.. you can't do much to tea to make it terrible.

Looking for other young folks to meet and hang out with who are probably travelling.. this is the place... need a clean, safe, cheap, comfy bed for the night.. bring your earplugs and this is the place.

Stayed December 2007