“Not one complaint”

Ranked #9 of 37 Hotels in Bristol
Wales
“Not one complaint”
Reviewed 18 May 2009

Modern, light and airy hotel. Clean Reception area. Room excellent...clean, well equipped,bright decor,.....lots of tempting snacks and cool box well stocked.
Excellent room service. Charming and friendly staff. Wide, light corridors and lift.
breakfast......massive and delicious.
I would stay there again if in Bristol.

• Stayed May 2009, travelled solo

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (325)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Czech first
  • Polish first
UK
Reviewed 17 May 2009

We found this hotel to be in a great location for the train station. It's in a business district but overlooks a park which is nice. We stayed here as hotels in Bath were too expensive and managed to get a room at the City Inn and breakfast for £59 which was excellent value especially considering the hotel's impressive facilities. Our room had air con, a very good shower and an iMac system that you can watch TV on and use the internet for free. We liked the modern simple decor and found the bed really comfy.

Incidentally, the lady on reception was exceptionally helpful!

The only negative about our stay was the breakfast. We had to queue to sit down and the service was rather harassed and panicky, we think maybe they were understaffed so this may have been an exception. The breakfast itself was very nice.

• Stayed May 2009, travelled as a couple
England, U.k.
Reviewed 13 May 2009

I am a solo traveller and paid under £60 for a room at City Inn Bristol and thought it was a fantastic value for money experience.

This hotel is literally under 5 minutes walk from Bristol Temple Meads railway station, making it a VERY convenient position. Also the Bristol airport 'International Flyer' is the only express link between Bristol Railway Station (Temple Meads), Bristol Bus Station, Clifton and Bristol International Airport. The journey time to the City Centre is approximately 30 minutes, so those with flights can also benefit.

Firstly the reception workers were very friendly and professional and my room was spotlessly clean. But what I found to be a massive plus point is that the room has a iMac entertainment system - this is your TV (with freeview channels), DVD player, radio but the big bonus of being a fully functional internet system - so if you either have time to kill or just need information, check emails, deal with ebay sales or even check facebook (!) then this is a fantastic bonus to have in your room and the surfing is free! Business people can also deal with files and save them to memory sticks and there are printing facilities available. The system also has iTunes if you need to use your CDs while working.
I know most people don't go to hotels to use computers, but personally when I've come back from an evening out, I am rarely ever wanting to go straight to sleep, or if I've got an hour before a meeting etc, having a free internet terminal in your own room is a brilliant way to use the time.

As for the bed, I found it both very comfortable and very warm. In many hotels of this kind of pricing, I have found the duvets can often be a little thin. But at City Inn Bristol they were thick enough so that I didn't wake up feeling cold even once during the night.

It was also a pleasure to find the shower both roomy (where you stand) and powerful.

The breakfast was included in my tariff and was a buffet style offering both hot and cold options (including cereal, scrambled egg, tomatoes, mushrooms, sausages, bacon etc). I had toast (choice of white or brown) along with tea, but they have several fruit juices as well. Although other hotels nearby have had a larger selection of items, I found it perfectly adequate and was full when I finished. I did forget to ask if the eggs were free range (the only thing I'm picky about food-wise).

I didn't have a car, so although there is parking available, I don't know what the costs are etc.

Pros:

*Under 5 mins walk from Bristol Temple Meads railway station

*Having a computer with free internet access in the hotel room was fantastic both for information and a time killer (I was able to manage my ebay sales away from home)

*Very clean rooms and good bedding

*Freeview digital TV channels

*Double-glazed room - you can hardly hear a thing from outside when you shut the windows - always good when trying to sleep!

Cons:

*I honestly can't think of anything I didn't like. I suppose the outside of the building looks bland for a hotel - but this is hardly a negative!

I think I have found my new fave hotel in Bristol. Being a few mins walk from the main city station is great (which also means you're about 10 minutes walk from the town centre). But the stand out factor for me was not having to bring a laptop or mess around with my mobile phone to get at my emails. Instead I was able to use the iMac internet terminal while drinking coffee in my hotel room :)

• Stayed May 2009, travelled solo
brighton
Reviewed 21 April 2009

I stayed at this hotel over a weekend with a few friends and thought it was a fantastic spot!

The staff on check in gave a great service, very friendly and efficient. The rooms were also very clean and have amazing Imac systems with complimentary internet!! Although slightly on the small side they still had everything needed.

I did not use the restaurant as went out with friends although I did use the bar. The bar itself was small and not particularly lively, even the music was too low for any major atmosphere but the staff were outstanding. My girlfriend wanted cocktails so we asked for the list which was fairly extensive. The bar manager, Mike i believe, knew all the cocktails without looking and even taught us how to make them, and even did a little show just like the film.

I would definately recommend this hotel to anyone, especially if you enjoy your cocktails.

The only downside is the car park, hardly any spaces with 24 hours for £8.50?! Should be maximum £3.50 in my eyes!!

Thankyou to all the staff, especially Mike in the bar and Jamie in reservations for the help.

• Stayed April 2009, travelled with friends
kent
Reviewed 16 April 2009

Any hotel which charges its customers £8 for the privilege of parking in its car park has got alot to answer for.
Add to this the hidden charges for things like shoe polish( £4.50) a packet of mints (£1.50) and the poor breakfast which sets you back at £13 and hardly covers half of the plate it is served on then the answer as to whether i will stay here again is a resounding "NO!"

• Stayed April 2009, travelled as a couple
London
Reviewed 13 April 2009

Looks like a boring Travelodge from the outside but it's spotless and modern inside. The staff were very friendly and the breakfast was fantastic - especially the creamy scrambled eggs. Also loved the iMac in the room, the great shower and the White Company toiletries - which impressed the girlfriend.

We got an very cheap weekend b&b rate but you do pay to use the car park.

• Stayed April 2009, travelled as a couple
A TripAdvisor Member
Reviewed 10 April 2009

We've stayed in the Westminster branch of City Inn loads of times and when we decided on a weekend in Bristol this seemed a natural choice. Generally it's a good hotel however we've obviously been spoilt by the Westminster branch as the Bristol one is nowhere near as good!

Rooms - Smallish but clean and comfortable. We only really used it as a base for exploring the city (and shops!) and it was great for this. The shower in the bathroom was great and definitely made up for the lack of bath! The iMac was brilliant - excellent for TV and music, plus internet access was useful

Location - Excellent location which meant everything was easily accessible. There are lots of restaurants to try locally and the shopping was fantastic.

Food - We had room service breakfast one day. Although the portions were generous as a whole it was disappointing - we were missing items we'd requested and for some reason we were only given cutlery and crockery for 1 when we'd ordered for 2! Not worth the price we paid, particularly as there's an italian restaurant just past the church at the back of the hotel which does a much nicer breakfast for half the price!

Service - We were disappointed with the service, particularly as the staff in the Westminster branch are so lovely. Staff here were indifferent and hurried (maybe not enough of them as it was busy that weekend). We asked for a lightbulb which had blown to be changed and were very unhelpfully told they might manage it that evening but that they didn't think there were any lightbulbs in the hotel.... However it had been changed when we got back

Car Parking - £8 per 24 hours. We paid for the convenience of having the car nearby and somewhere secure(ish) The car park is VERY small and it's a first come first served basis. Expect to be parked in!

• Stayed March 2009, travelled as a couple