“A hotel of this quality should be much more expensive!!” 5 of 5 bubbles
Review of Hilton Garden Inn Bristol City Centre

Hilton Garden Inn Bristol City Centre
Ranked #9 of 37 Hotels in Bristol
Kent
“A hotel of this quality should be much more expensive!!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 22 October 2009

I highly recommended this hotel to a colleague the other day and realised that I had never got around to posting a review on TA. I stayed for eight days B & B whilst working at Bristol airport in March. I selected the City Inn on the strength of the good reviews and my expectations were exceeded. The room was modern, stylish and spotless. (I agree with a recent review that I had the impression of being the first person to stay in the room.) I loved the I-mac (Free TV/Radio/Music/unlimited internet access all-in-one). If I'd known what an I-mac was beforehand I wouldn't have taken my laptop! The staff I interacted with, at check-in, the breakfast staff, the bar steward, to the maid who kept my room so immaculate, they were all without exception, very polite and friendly. Whilst waiting for my colleague at a seating area in reception one afternoon, even the manager, who introduced himself as Angus, asked if I was staying in the hotel, was I enjoying my stay, and if I wasn't completely satisfied with the service and facilities, and should I have any problems or complaints, to ask for him personally. I have rarely encountered such a high level of personal service in a hotel of this size. Considering I had to be away from home for over a week, I found it a proper home from home.
The central location of the hotel is good and is pretty easy to find. It is about a 5/10 min walk from the train station, and about a 5/10 walk to Corn St, King St or the waterfront (more bars, restaurants and clubs than you can shake a stick at). Parking is limited, but on the odd occasion I couldn't find a space, there is a reasonably priced pay and display right behind the hotel. As for a review saying the spaces are tight in the hotel carpark, I was driving the work's Honda Accord Estate which is a big beast, and I didn't have too much trouble!
Overall, I was extremely impressed with the hotel and surprised that it wasn't far more expensive. I look forward to staying there, or hotels in the same chain in other cities, in the future.

• Stayed March 2009, travelled on business
    • 5 of 5 bubbles

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (325)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Czech first
  • Polish first
Plymouth, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 13 October 2009

Booked through Laterooms for a two night Sat/Sun weekend shopping break - very pleased with price (room only). Used this hotel chain in Bristol and Birmingham and we've enjoyed our visits. Room in Bristol was small, but immaculate.

• Stayed October 2009, travelled as a couple
Townsville QLD, Australia
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 1 October 2009

Stayed here for the night for business purposes.
Quite a comfortable stay, good tv service and free wifi.

Dinner was pretty pricey for what you get, but breakfast was amazing (I had room service for both so not sure what the restuarant/bar was like).

• Stayed September 2009, travelled on business
Berks
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 21 September 2009

I am quite fussy when it comes to hotels, especially when it looks nice on the outside, only to be let down by the quality of the rooms. However, from the inside out, this hotel was brilliant. The hotel is located within 10mins walking distance of Bristol's shopping centre. There is parking (which is limited) on site. This is £8 per 24 hrs. However, if you are at the hotel during the weekend, it is free to park on the side street on a Sunday.

The hotel has 5 floors with a bar and restaurant. We asked to stay on the 5th floor so we couldn't hear the noise from the main road. The rooms are spacious with apple macs in every room, giving you free access to the internet, which is a bonus. The rooms and bathroom were both very clean. We had breakfast twice there. You can choose from an English breakfast, continental or both. Could not complain as the standard of food was very good.

The receptionist made us feel very welcome. No complaints at all and I would stay there again.

• Stayed September 2009, travelled as a couple
Aylesbury
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 13 September 2009

Despite being part of a chain, this hotel illustrates exactly what a hotel experience should be about. Fundamentally, when I walk into a hotel room I should feel like I am the first person to stay in that room. That all the fixtures and fittings are intact and the bathroom and furnishings are clean and finished to a high standard. I have access to all the information from the local area and what most hotels charge as extras such as Internet Access are included in the price. When I have a problem, I am dealt with courteously and professionally by the hotel staff and that my stay in the hotel is uneventful so I can free to experience the place I am visiting and not have an experience at the place I am staying.

This Hotel has the details exactly right for a budget to intermediate traveller expecting a good standard of service and stay. Want more? Pay more - get less.

• Stayed September 2009, travelled as a couple
Warrington
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 11 September 2009

Stayed for 3 nights. The hotel kind of grew on me the longer I was into my stay.
I think it was obvious that all the staff, from the reception to the bar and restaurant and house duties, are being stretched to breaking point, but who can honestly say it's any different at the place where they're working at the moment.
The things I really liked where the rooms, location, fitness room, bar tender - he actually greeted with me using my name throughout the stay; I've never known this anywhere else I've stayed.
The 2 things I didnt like were that the bedding ie the duvet and pillows smelt a bit musty and should be replaced. And the carpark!!!!!! If you drive anything bigger than a dodgem car then you're gonna have fun here. And it costs £8 a day for the pleasure.

• Stayed September 2009, travelled on business
London, United Kingdom
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 11 September 2009

Modern, clean, great location. A couple of staff were great, one not very friendly. No complaints about room at all. If anything the place was slightly souless but not dreadfully so. Generally no complaints and would use city inn, planning on using some of their other locations as well.

• Stayed March 2009, travelled as a couple