“Chef controls guests eating habits”

BEST WESTERN Henbury Lodge Hotel
Ranked #5 of 37 Hotels in Bristol
Clacton-on-Sea, United Kingdom
“Chef controls guests eating habits”
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 24 February 2014 via mobile

If you like a set time to eat then you will love it here, even if you choose to eat in the bar or lounge area then your allocated slot is your allocated slot.
I had been on the road from 4:30am on the day of my stay, on arrival at the hotel I was politely offered the earliest available time to eat of 8pm
little did I know that this was none negotiable.
I will not be returning here as a business client the customer does not come first the chef does.
The reason given for this bizarre ritual 'we only employ one chef' my response hire another chef and stop disappointing paying guests

Stayed February 2014, travelled on business
BestwesternHLH, Manager at BEST WESTERN Henbury Lodge Hotel, responded to this review, 25 February 2014
Many hanks for submitting a review on Trip Advisor. We are sorry that you are disappointed with your restaurant experience at The Best Western Henbury Lodge Hotel, but would like to assure you that we have a tried and tested process which has worked well for our guests for many years.

It is upsetting to our team, including our head chef, that you referred to our process as a 'bizarre ritual' and feel strongly that your comment 'chef controls guests eating habits' is unreasonable and without just cause. All reservations for our guests in the restaurant are discussed and decided by the chef and the receptionist and the head waitress on duty at that time.

From many years experience in the restaurant and hotel industry we are positive that you will find most restaurants practice a similar undertaking as we do in order to provide a comfortable and timely dining experience for our guests. Until now we have never received a complaint such as yours.

Your rating of one star is also disappointing as this seems to be based solely on the restaurant area, without mention of the hotels other facilities which we can only hope were to your satisfaction.

However, we do hope that you will change your mind and visit us again as we would be happy to provide you with a prime dining slot to suit your schedule on that occasion.
Best regards
Henbury Lodge Team

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (127)
Weston-super-Mare, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 2 February 2014

I needed a venue for a family gathering. I phoned to enquire about hiring a room and from that first conversation, I was more than impressed and didn't search for any more hotels.
I was invited to see the room, only to find that for the same cost, we were able to use the dining room for the buffet, then the lounge for relaxing.
The food was superb, the staff amazing.
I thoroughly recommend this hotel. The atmosphere and attention of all the staff impressed everyone. Thank you Henbury Lodge!

Room Tip: We only spent the day there, for a family gathering
  • Stayed January 2014, travelled with family
Alton, United Kingdom
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 30 January 2014

Had room 19 downstairs with elephant staying in room 21 above kept me awake till gone 1.30am. Chaged for breakfast that I did not have, got this taken off the bill. Would have rather have stayed at Travellinn up at Cribbs Causeway.

1 Thank Alton504148
BestwesternHLH, Owner at BEST WESTERN Henbury Lodge Hotel, responded to this review, 31 January 2014
Many thanks for the reviews posted on Trip Advisor and Medallia. We are very sorry that the guest above you caused you to be disturbed. In our overall refurbishment of Henbury Lodge we installed new high quality Wilton carpets everywhere and we made sure we insulated and replaced the floors in order to prevent as much noise as possible in a listed building. Regarding the refunded breakfast charge this was a genuine mistake in a fully booked hotel (another guest who had breakfast gave the waitress your room number in error) for which we apologise.

We do everything we can to ensure our guests enjoy their stay with us and sincerely regret that in this case we did not meet your expectations

Regards
Rosalind
United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 16 January 2014

Staying in hotels on average two nights per week for work, I was extremely pleased at my stay at Henbury Lodge. The rooms was large, bed extremely comfortable, bathroom very well appointed. The food is really delicious and comes thoroughly recommended - including real freshly squeezed orange juice at breakfast (normally it comes from a carton!). Staff were all extremely pleasant and I would definitely stay here again if I was in the vicinity

Milton Keynes, UK
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 15 January 2014

Whenever I'm working in Bristol I always use Henbury Lodge. The staff are very friendly and helpful and whenever I book they try to allocate my favourite room to me. The hotel is small and personal and feels more like a home away from home than some of the other larger hotels I stay in when I'm in other areas. It's only 10 minutes drive from my office too!

1 Thank wowojulie
A TripAdvisor Member
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 13 January 2014

The hotel is an oasis of peacefulness and charm with polite, friendly staff. The quality of the food is excellent with sittings for dinner managed so as to allow the chef to maintain this level of achievement. Within the main building there are various sizes and character of rooms each fitted out to a high standard.