“Great day out for young children” 5 of 5 bubbles
Review of Avon Valley Railway (AVR)

Avon Valley Railway (AVR)
Ranked #37 of 191 things to do in Bristol
More attraction details
Owner description: Bristol and Bath's heritage steam railway, offering a six mile round trip which takes passengers along sections of the old Midland Railway, providing a chance to see the magnificent River Avon Valley from a unique viewpoint.
Somerset, United Kingdom
13 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 12 helpful votes
“Great day out for young children”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 5 May 2014 via mobile

We visited yesterday and had a great time. As people have said, the journey time is short but if you've got children then they really don't mind. Loved the old carriages. Go when the steam train is running and you can watch it change ends which is fun. Also take a picnic and sit in the picnic area and feed the swans. We spent about 2.5 hours here, but you could spend all day going up and down if you like.

Visited May 2014

Bristol
13 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 9 helpful votes
“Catering top of the list”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 30 April 2014

Both me and my husband decided to pop in for lunch today (Wed) very friendly staff, and happened to be doing Roast Dinner, meals were Nice and big so much so it's now 10pm and still not hungry, beautiful meal, just like mum used to make.
Will be returning again and try one of there other meals very soon.

Bristol
6 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 14 helpful votes
“LUNCH AT AVON VALLEY RAILWAY”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 27 April 2014

A friend and I have just had the most fantastic Sunday Lunch here. We booked in advance (which I would recommend you do as the place was packed) and were seated in one of the renovated carriages. The tables were laid up nicely with fresh flowers on each and they were not cramped together. The staff were friendly and efficient and worked so hard all the time we were there. There were three choices for the main course (Chicken,Lamb or Beef). I chose the beef and my friend had the chicken. The portions were huge, the meat tender and lots of it. The meal came with three roast potatoes, a huge Yorkshire pudding and the vegetables (carrots, peas and cabbage) were brought in a separate serving dish and we each had our own individual gravy boats. Everything was cooked to perfection. There was a jug of water on the table and you have the option of any beverage of your choice - there was even a wine and beer menu. There Is a dessert menu which on our visit had four options - I decided on the apple pie and custard which was delicious.

If you cannot manage to finish the meal (which some people around us didn't) then you can take the rest home in a polystyrene carton.

Those who criticise the buffet must be very hard to please but I think those people are in the minority - everyone who lives in the locality has nothing but praise for the efforts made by everyone at Avon Valley Railway. It has certainly put Bitton on the map!

Over the years I have seen the railway grow and the volunteers do a grand job in keeping the railway going. My children enjoyed a lot of trips on the train and would love to stop in the then tiny café and look in the shop. Nowadays my grandchildren like to go on the rides. It is a fun day out down at the railway and with the Buffet there now it is a great place to eat.

During the week the buffet does some lovely food so whether you want just a snack or a full meal this is the place to go. Congratulations to all the staff on their enterprise - I will certainly go back again and again. Well done to all and thank you for a most enjoyable lunch.

2 Thank SuronBristol
London, United Kingdom
10 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 13 helpful votes
“Short but sweet”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 26 April 2014

As other reviewers have mentioned this line is quite short and you actually spend more time at the stations than on the move... but the locos and rolling stock are in good order (I went on a diesel day with a class 31 doing the work)... and for me hearing and smelling a vintage English Electric diesel pulling a 'proper' train with compartments & slam doors was worth the admission price alone. The staff are friendly and the line runs a quite scenic route with some nice countryside views. There's a path running parallel to the track with some nice walks/cycling opportunities too. There were plenty of children who seemed to enjoy the ride (maybe a good thing it's not too long with their attention spans) and it was fun to watch the loco switching ends at stations.
You only need an hour or so to experience the whole thing but as an enthusiast I enjoyed it and my other half enjoyed herself too.

1 Thank Alex C
Bristol, United Kingdom
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“great family day out”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 26 April 2014

On a rainy Easter Sunday, we booked a table for the family - ages ranging from 3 to 89! The roast was fantastic and our gluten - free granddaughter was happily catered for from a wide choice of food (including Easter egg cake!) We all had a couple of rides on the train and will return as soon as we can all get back together again - it's such a friendly, carefree atmosphere.

Yes - it will be lovely when the track is extended but, if you love trains as much as we do (especially steam ones) any journey is a joy and you can ride on the trains all day if you want to.

1 Thank susan g