“Entertains the kids” 3 of 5 bubbles
Review of Bristol Zoo Gardens

Bristol Zoo Gardens
Ranked #13 of 191 things to do in Bristol
More attraction details
Owner description: At Bristol Zoo Gardens you can enjoy an amazing world of animals, all within our award-winning 12 acre gardens. With over 400 species and 9 animals houses under cover, you'll enjoy your visit whatever the weather. We suggest you allow 2-5 hours for your visit to really take in everything we have to offer.By visiting Bristol Zoo you will be directly contributing to the conservation of endangered species and habitats.
BRISTOL, ENGLAND
3 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 15 helpful votes
“Entertains the kids”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 26 May 2012

The zoo is a wonderful place for the kids to see the animals and have fun, however i think the cages are too small for the animals and try and avoid this zoo as much as possible.

• Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Hungarian first
  • Polish first
  • Slovak first
Bristol, England, United Kingdom
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 2 helpful votes
“Boring!!!”
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 24 May 2012

This zoo is way to expensive for what it is. The staff aren't helpful and there isn't even an elephant! You can go around the zoo in about half an hour and are then left wondering what to do with the rest of your day. Would not recommend to anyone and certainly won't be going back.

Visited April 2012
2 Thank Zoe W
Bristol, United Kingdom
11 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 16 helpful votes
“Small & Friendly”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 20 May 2012

This is my local Zoo and i visit it with my wife three or four times a year. It is not the biggest zoo and cannot compete with bigger venues and is therefore missing most of the larger animals. But the animals it does have always look to well carde for and the enclosires well maintained.

The gardens are lovely and worth seeing at almost anytime of year. There is a lake in the centre and a childrens play area. My favourite enclosure is the Penguin and Sealion coast which has a lovely seaside feel to it.

The food onsite is expensive so take a packed lunch if you make a day of it. But to be honest there is not enough to see to last a whole day but it is wrth a half day. If you dont have kids vist when the kids are not on holiday. If they are it gets very very busy and can get unpleasant and very hard to see the animals

Visited May 2012
Talbot Green, United Kingdom
41 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 65 helpful votes
“OK as zoos go”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 20 May 2012

I have to say that Zoos are not my favourite place but the children love them. Bristol Zoo is OK but I think expensive. You also get quite a look when you ask to opt out of Gift Aid price.

Visited September 2011
Bruton, England, United Kingdom
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 7 helpful votes
“I just feel sorry for the Lions”
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 19 May 2012

I recently visited your zoo with my college on a celebration day out for practically finishing our two years there. I had previously been to your zoo when i was a lot younger an remembered that i had a great time so i was eager to come again.
When we arrived and saw the Lion's cage me and my friends where actually pretty shocked. Our main concern was frankly the size of their enclosure, it seems extremely small for that amount of Lion's let alone one. I mean watching wildlife shows i see how much Lion's run and chase their prey developing strong muscles, can these Lion's in this cage really run around? I mean tell me if i am wrong they may have a run around the backside out of public view, but i don't think they do. How could the Lion's develop their muscles without a large enough space? Don't get me wrong i totally understand that you look after them well and they are fead and look in great condition. But without a big enclosure don't they become lazy without having to chase their prey. I understand that your a small zoo, however that doesn't get over my initial shock of how small the enclosure is. My friends and I thought how the cage could have been a lot bigger. We thought is stead of you having that rather sad looking flower bed in front of the Lion's enclosure and have their whole cage extended out then at least it was be bigger and give more room for the Lion's to walk around and who know's maybe run. I understand that this may restrict the view for public to see the Lion's but what is more important ''me, the public seeing the Lion's'' or the Lion's having more room to move and possibly be happier. I get that my email wont make a difference to the Lion's because extending their cage may cause them stress etc. But this stress wouldn't be any more than you guys moving that young male cub away to a new zoo before him and his father start to fight. I would rather see the welfare of the animals to be met before you start building new attractions such as the Dinosaur garden walk. Thank you for reading my email, i understand your all doing a great job and the Lion's are being looked after well i just can stop thinking about their very small enclosure.

Visited April 2012
7 Thank Louis B
, Manager at Bristol Zoo Gardens, responded to this review, 16 July 2012
Thank you for your comments. We are glad the you have acknowledged our geniune level of care for our Lions during your visit. The welfare of our animals is always our highest priority, this year we are more than doubling the size of our Gorilla enclosure, and we hope that in the future we can do the same for our Lions.