“Brilliant day out!”

Bristol Zoo Gardens
Ranked #13 of 213 things to do in Bristol
More attraction details
Owner description: At Bristol Zoo Gardens you can enjoy an amazing world of animals, all within our award-winning 12 acre gardens. With over 400 species and 9 animals houses under cover, you'll enjoy your visit whatever the weather. We suggest you allow 2-5 hours for your visit to really take in everything we have to offer.By visiting Bristol Zoo you will be directly contributing to the conservation of endangered species and habitats.
Reviewed 3 May 2014

I used to come to Bristol Zoo as a child and then brought my children here but haven't been for many years. What a transformation! My grand-daughter loved it. The development has been inspired with such a good use of space, obviously a great deal of research undertaken to find out what kids really want to do and was just a great day out. The animals seem contented, the monkeys and gorillas entertaining and the extra attractions to amuse children are really good. The play area is good and the zip wire and 'Go Ape' course is great for older children. There is even a water area with streams and man-made waterfall for little ones to paddle in. I wished we had known about this and remembered to pack a towel but this didn't deter my 5 year old grand-daughter who couldn't wait to get stuck in. Of course, a beautiful sunny day helped but I'm sure we would have had a great time anyway, whatever the weather. The only gripe is with the catering. The restaurant only serves hot food until 2.30 pm I think it was and the kiosks had sold out of stuff and were packing up at 4.00 pm. For the number of visitors attending, this needed to be addressed. We had taken a picnic with us but wanted something more substantial before we left and could not find anything.

1  Thank PatriceCardiff

Reviewed 3 May 2014 via mobile

I visited the zoo with some friends and we had a fab day. We saw all animals the gorillas being our favourite and although there were some alterations being made it made no difference to our visit. Great cafe cakes and coffee lots of loos and really a lovely place to visit.

1  Thank Sally M
Reviewed 2 May 2014 via mobile

Ive been a member for 5 years and never tire of visting the zoo. My 3 children always enjoy the day out, with a great mix of animals, activities and attractions. Its not the biggest zoo but the use of space and the variety of animals means its always different every time we visit.

1  Thank Geoff C
Reviewed 28 April 2014

The membership deal is really great if you live in Bristol and is excellent value for money and allows you to visit other Zoos as well. The Zoo itself is clean colourful and has many spaces for just sitting in the sun and lazing the day away. All the animals are in great condition and seem happy in their surroundings. my only gripe is the food is very expensive so take your own. Overall a great place to spend the day with the kids

1  Thank rdvb
Reviewed 25 April 2014

As members of Chester Zoo we decided to take advantage of the free visit to one of the other zoos that you get with your membership (one free visit to 7 other zoos across the country). We decided on Bristol mainly attracted by the gorilla house and the lorikeets - as seen on the website.

What a lovely zoo!!!

Obviously can't compare to Chester considering the 100 acres difference in size! We had a lovely day from start to finish. I visited with husband and two daughters 13yrs and 8yrs and we all had a great day. The local schools had all gone back so the zoo was quiet which was great. We found all staff to be friendly and helpful. The animal talks were, although short, interesting and informative and the keepers were happy to answer questions once they had finished.

Both the girls thoroughly enjoyed Zooropia. The youngest, although she really wanted to go on it, was extremely nervous and we thought she would 'bottle out of it'. Particularly when four other children in front of her got scared and came down. However the instructors were fantastic! They gave her lots of encouragement and the patience they showed the children who gave up definitely gave her confidence and she amazed us all by completing it. She was extremely proud of herself and rightly so I couldn't have done it!!

Feeding the lorikeets was definitely a highlight for me. We did it 3 times :) £1 for 2 pots and worth every penny - get your cameras ready.

We loved the gorilla house. You don't get to walk under a gorilla every day.

The girls thought it was great to get so close to the animals, who were all visible and reasonably active during our visit. Yes some of the enclosures appeared a little small but all of the animals looked well cared for and their environment was clean.

I'm shocked at some of the reviews on here! We had a really fantastic day. We arrived at approx. 10.15 and I think we were the last to leave at 5.30, taking in a trip to the shop before leaving. Would definitely recommend a visit to this lovely inner city zoo. We love Bristol Zoo :) Don't forget your camera!

1  Thank Sharon H