“Wonderful zoo”

Bristol Zoo Gardens
Ranked #38 of 237 things to do in Bristol
More attraction details
Owner description: At Bristol Zoo Gardens you can enjoy an amazing world of animals, all within our award-winning 12 acre gardens. With over 400 species and 9 animals houses under cover, you'll enjoy your visit whatever the weather. We suggest you allow 2-5 hours for your visit to really take in everything we have to offer.By visiting Bristol Zoo you will be directly contributing to the conservation of endangered species and habitats.
Reviewed 3 September 2017

Having lived in Bristol 40 years ago, this still remains my 2nd favourite zoo of all those I've visited. Cleverly laid out in a small space, it allows excellent viewing of all the animals. The gardens are a joy and so well cared for. The restaurant, too, was comfortable with a good range of food.

BZG-GuestServices, Manager at Bristol Zoo Gardens, responded to this reviewResponded 10 September 2017

Thank you so much for the 5 stars!! We are honored to be your 2nd favourite zoo! I'm glad to hear you approve of what we have done with our 12 acres and that you had excellent views of our animals.
I agree that the gardens are stunning and I'm always impressed with what the Gardens team create and how it changes each time I come to work. Lovely to know that you had a great experience in our Hide restaurant too!
Thank you for supporting us and helping us with our conservation aims, we hope to see you again soon!

Write a ReviewReviews (3,369)
All reviews
in 376 reviews
"seal"
in 93 reviews

Reviewed 2 September 2017 via mobile

only one word... WOW.. had the greatest time ever.. Beautiful garden, excotic animals, great info about every species and i absolutely loved the butterfly excibit. Did not expect them to be flying everywhere.. Thank you Bristol zoo garden for a rememberable time.

Thank you so much for the 5 stars!! It's so lovely to hear that you had such a great experience visiting us.
Thank you for supporting us and taking the time to give us this review. We hope you can come and visit us again soon!

Reviewed 2 September 2017

My family and I visited here as a group. We booked online in advance so saved a lot of money that way, I would suggest you do the same.

Its a small zoo but kept very well. All animals seemed clean and happy. The butterfly enclosure is a bit small and not many butterflies but all other attractions where very good.

We parked in the over flow car park, £3 all day, little 2 minute walk down to the zoo.

One major negative and remember this is just my opinion but I am one of those dreadful evil men out there that still smoke. Yes I said it. And at the whole zoo there is not 1 smoking shelter. If like me your a smoker, I found the middle field was full of us horrid people (hope you sense my sarcasm here) and apart from the odd look, none of the staff seemed bothered.

All in all a lovely place to visit, recommend to all

Any questions feel free to ask

Thank you for the lovely feedback! I'm glad that you found parking easy and that you enjoyed your day exploring our animal enclosures.
Our zoo is non-smoking (this includes Vaping) but you can get your hand stamped at the main gate so that you can smoke outside the entrance and then get back in easily. I am a fellow horrid person so I do understand your perspective but it is not too much trouble to nip outside for a few minutes. I also appreciate that it's not very nice for our other guests and our animals, so I do let people know they can't smoke when I spot them and point them in the direction of where they can.
I'm really glad you had an excellent day out and it's very kind of you to take the time to write this review. Thanks so much for recommending us and for supporting our conservation work through your visit!

Reviewed 1 September 2017 via mobile

Huge queue on arrival with no pre booked ticket zone and then no refund for showing our bus and train tickets because we'd booked online not bought our tickets on the door. I found the pricing system confusing on the website it needs to be way clearer on how to get best price, after all no one wants to feel like they've paid more than they should. Drinks were tricky to purchase by 3 oclock on a hot august sunday with most of the concessions having run out and all the vending machines empty too. Dont know if there were refill water taps but 2 members of staff said not. The small children enjoyed the water area and play park and older one liked the tree top walk, everyone enjoyed the cheetah run. We did find the animal experience rather sad though, just the idea of captivity for entertainment a bit of a depressing concept.

1  Thank Louise A

Thank you for your feedback. You can definitely still get your 33% discount for travelling sustainably even when you book online - you simply present your booking confirmation and proof of public transport to our Reception desk (located inside the zoo next to ZooRopia and Splash) and they refund it to you there and then. Apologies if this was not clear or you were given the wrong information - I will make sure that the admissions team are re-briefed on this.
We have a calendar on our online bookings page which is colour-coded so that you can ascertain from the key underneath which price corresponds to which days clearly. This is fairly new so may not have been in place at the time of your booking, apologies for any lack of clarity with regards to pricing.
A new initiative is that you can select a day and then use it on a range of alternative days should you change you need the flexibility / your plans change. This is also explained online.
We do offer water refills at the Hide Bar (you can help yourself with the glass water dispenser) and you can ask at Reception Desk by ZooRopia and we will do it for you there too. I am sorry that this information was not given to you, I will re-brief all departments so that they are aware of this offer and can let guests know.
Animal welfare and safety is of paramount importance at Bristol Zoo. Our experienced team of animal keepers and in-house veterinary staff have looked after and bred our animals for many years. Our animals are not stressed and are able to display the full range of their natural behaviours in their homes. Their enclosures are specially designed to as closely mimic their natural habitats as possible and they are provided lots of enrichment by our passionate and caring teams. We are continually monitoring our animal welfare measures to ensure that our animals are happy and content. We have lots of breeding programmes which are helping to increase numbers of species struggling in the wild. All the profits from admission fees also go towards caring for our animals and fantastic conservation projects around the world. Bristol Zoo does a lot of outreach work and provides education activities for schools, teaching children about conservation and how they can help to protect the natural world.
I hope this explanation goes some way to alleviate your concerns, thank you for supporting us and our conservation work by visiting us.!

See more reviews
Reviewed 1 September 2017 via mobile

We booked a twilight night at the zoo it was advertised as a chilled evening sat on the green listening to music. In reality the que to get in was hundreds of people.
Booking for night time I expected it to be an adult type evening . Kids everywhere!!
They defo let way to many people in.
It was rammed to the rafters you couldn't get near anything!
And all the animal enclosures closed around 8 when we didn't even get in there til 7 cos of queing..
I'm sorry but this was my idea if hell and mis sold as a chilled evening I'm reality it was worse than a bank holiday Monday at Thorpe park ! Thanks for wasting my time and money so not impressed

2  Thank Kitty S

Thank you for your feedback. I'm sorry to hear that you did not enjoy the Friday Twilight experience. This evening is family-orientated and, as with all our after-hours events, very popular so you can expect lots of guests. I can understand that the crowds and lots of children may not be for everyone and we do have other events which are adults only such as the 'Pop-up Festival' we had in summer and our 'Fright Nights' (October 27th & 28th - tickets available online very soon!). The Fright Night is a capacity of 110 and features watching a scary movie and then a special Halloween tour in the zoo, so a very different experience to the Friday Twilight. For Friday Twilight we do have live jazz music on the Main Lawn which creates a chilled atmosphere but the animal enclosures are usually quite busy as you mention. We feel that these nights offer great value at only £5 admission. As the one you attended was the last one of the year, we opened our gates at 6pm rather than 6.30pm and closed at 9.30pm. This is due to it getting darker earlier and needing to close enclosures slightly earlier where there is low visibility once it gets dark.
I am sorry that you did not enjoy the night, perhaps one of the other adults only after hours events would be more enjoyable for you.
Thank you for supporting our conservation work through your visit!