Open today: Closed
Review Highlights
A nice half day sailing trip

A great birthday or anniversary treat. we did the fish and chip lunch trip but they also do a cream... read more

Reviewed 5 February 2019
Libralass
Bristol
Step back in time

Free to go on the Matthew when docked very quaint Ship people on board to tell about the ship... read more

Reviewed 16 December 2018
Julie L

Recommended experiences in and around Bristol
from US$168.66
More Info
from US$168.66
More Info
All reviews john cabot hour trip sailing ship beautiful ship small vessel fish and chip supper below deck ss great britain wonderful trip run by volunteers avon gorge free attraction floating harbour spend an afternoon suspension bridge replica crew
Reviewed 16 October 2018

This modern copy of John Cabot's boat was made in Bristol in the last century, with tradesmen using the tools that available when the original was built.
It sailed across the Atlantic to Newfoundland as did the original, and these days is based in the City Docks, where you can go aboard and see the cramped space in which they lived. Well worth a visit!

1  Thank RogerM9000
Reviewed 9 October 2018

We visited the Matthew after visiting the M Shed and were pleasantly surprised by the lovely little replica.
The volunteers do an amazing job of the upkeep of the boat and are available for any questions you might have. It really is a wondrous little boat and quite amazing to think of how the original was used and by whom.
If you are in the area, pop by and soak up the atmosphere of this lovely little boat.

Date of experience: October 2018
Reviewed 1 October 2018

Amazing how those pioneers sailed across the Atlantic in such a small vessel. This is an accurate reproduction of the original boat.

Date of experience: October 2018
Reviewed 27 August 2018

I'm an American who knew nothing about The Matthew or John Cabot when I happened upon it walking with a British friend. He commented that it's hard to imagine crossing the Atlantic in a ship that small and that was it! I had to go look. Admission is free. People were walking all around. A man on the deck was showing a couple of people something roundish. So we came through the easy gate and had a look. I had questions about the men's quarters and the man on board had answers that surprised me. I asked him about the chart and pegs and he taught me. It was so nice that the man, a volunteer, was so willing to impart this history. My friend even learned something.

If you're in the area it's a pity to miss stepping on board and at least trying to imagine being one of the 17 men who sailed from Bristol to perhaps the Canadian coast.

1  Thank Deborah S
Reviewed 24 August 2018

Had a quick visit to The Matthew today with my 9 year old daughter and friend . We were encouraged to explore the ship and appreciated the shelter it afforded us during a brief rain shower. The staff we spoke to were are pleasant and well informed - not at all fazed by my daughter's many questions. Thank you.