US$93
US$79
Savings alert! 10% below average rates

The price you found is 10% lower than this hotel's average rate of US$88/night.

US$83
  • Bar/Lounge
US$106
Marriott Hotels
  • Restaurant
Mercure Bristol Brigstow Hotel(Bristol)(Great Value!)
US$94
US$86
  • Restaurant
Future Inn Cabot Circus Hotel(Bristol)(Great Value!)
US$93
US$87
US$92
US$77
Priceline
Savings alert! 13% below average rates

The price you found is 13% lower than this hotel's average rate of US$89/night.

US$98
US$82
Priceline
Savings alert! 10% below average rates

The price you found is 10% lower than this hotel's average rate of US$91/night.

All reviewswhiteladies roadfree parkingfull english breakfastquiet roadyogurtcity centresingle roomoff street parkinglarge roombristol universitybreakfast was deliciousb and bsuperior roomchain hotelsshort walkno lifttea and coffee making facilities
Reviewed 20 December 2011

I must confess the reports that I have seen about this hotel had me a bit worried before I booked, but a friend said she had stayed there and it was fine.

I stopped at Clifton House for 3 nights in December, whilst on business in Bristol.

The hotel used to be called Tyndalls Park Hotel and I remember from the days when I used to live in Bristol that it seemed run down.

I am not sure if there are now new owners but the hotel has be re-furbished, well I can only speak for the public areas and the room I stayed in. But lookig at the photos on their website it seems that other rooms ahve also been re-done

My room was spottless - very clean and very neat. The bed was wonderful and the bathroom was very spacious, with a large walk in shower. Nice big TV. There were a few little bits which were "un-finished" but nothing to say YUK at. My only tiny comment about the room was that I couldn't control the main lighting from the bed, but again that's not major.

The management..... People in other reviews had expressed concerns - but no - the manageress was great, always smiling and very helpful and friendly, the waitress's on the otherhand were a little cold. I don't expect them to tap dance for me, but a smile and a "good morning" would have been nice. I may have been looking out for that having read other reviews

The breakfast was fine - only the choice of full English or veggie. I didn't sample the veggie, but the full English kept me going all day. On day 2 I asked for just bacon sausage and scrambled egg - as I couldn't fit the full breakfast in. When it arrived the plate was full!! 2 sausages, 4 bacon and a massive scrambled egg - not complaining about that! There was a nice selection of cereals, some fresh fruit and yoghurts. They only served orange juice and water, no other juices. The breakfast gets a tick from me - it wasn't The Savoy, but nice.

One odd thing I did notice and this may have just been an irregularity of timing. The towel storage area for the cleaning staff was below the main staircase, without a door. Bit odd. If I were the management I would change this if it's a permanent feature, but again it wouldn't stop me from going there again.

Location of the hotel is great, just off Whiteladies Road, right next to the BBC. I could see the DIY SOS Van from my window. They have a car park, which I didn't use, but didn't seem full.

Would I go there again?

Certainly

• Stayed: December 2011, travelled on business
1  Thank Harvy
Reviewed 8 December 2011

We chose the Clifton House as it is perfectly positioned to visit our daughter and also to attend concerts at the Victoria Rooms. As it was for just one night we booked the cheapest room. On arrival my heart sank as I was informed that the House would be full overnight as there was a hen party as well as other celebrating groups booked in. Despite this the House didn't feel full or too busy. Our room was small, the shower room could not be any smaller and the sink was tight on elbow room. My husband and I agreed that the size of the rooms didn’t matter – the decoration and the fittings were all good, clean and perfectly fine. The bed was comfortable and all concerns about boisterous guests disappeared when I had an unbroken night’s sleep. The receptionist/manager told us that extra staff were on duty at breakfast to cope with the numbers of guests. Breakfast would continue to be served until all guests had eaten, regardless of the usual end-of-breakfast time advertised. Despite this the dining room was not full, although we were probably up earlier than the hen night guests. The breakfast itself was of a good standard and the dining room was extremely pleasant. All in all a very good experience and one I will repeat. In comparison to other Bristol hotels, our small room was good value for money, pleasant, clean and the cost of breakfast was included. I can’t fault our stay.

Room Tip: Our small room was indeed small but very good value. Don't be surprised when you have to clean your teeth while making sure your elbows are against your ribs.
  • Stayed: December 2011, travelled as a couple
2  Thank ACM9
Reviewed 8 December 2011

Recently refurbished. Large bedrooms. Still some loose ends - lethal shower, faulty bedside light (just one of those things), straightforward breakfast could do with more variety. Paid £90 for a double.

• Stayed: December 2011, travelled with friends
1  Thank 2Terrace
Reviewed 6 December 2011

Was delighted that TripAdvisor was wholly reliable once again. For £75m this was a bargain. Fantastic Clifton location, huge room with leather sofa and wall mounted TV, comfy bed, spotless bathroom and delicious breakfast. Perfect.

Room Tip: top floor was excellent; no idea what other rooms are like
  • Stayed: November 2011, travelled on business
Reviewed 4 December 2011

The shower was dirty and the curtains were grubby and drooping off their tracks. However,the staff were very friendly and the breakfast was good.
No discount was offered to us despite our complaints about the dirt.

• Stayed: December 2011, travelled with friends
cliftonhouse, Manager at Clifton House, responded to this reviewResponded 23 January 2013

We would like apologies again for any inconvinience caused by this over-site from our staff and thank you for the compliments of our staff and breakfast. At Clifton House we are always grateful and always take into account all complaints and strive to improve any mistakes made. Since your review managment has changed hands and we hope that your previous stay with us has not put you off staying with Clifton House again in the future. Many thanks, the Clifton House team.