All reviewswhiteladies roadfree parkingfull english breakfastquiet roadyogurtsingle roomoff street parkinglarge roombristol universitybreakfast was deliciousb and bsuperior roomensuite bathroomchain hotelsno lifttea and coffee making facilitiesreal bonus
Reviewed 11 March 2012

We chose Clifton House because of its proximity to Clifton Village where we were meeting friends and because it offered guaranteed parking and wi-fi.

It was easy to find with the help of Googlemap, parking was straight forward and we had a warm welcome from the staff.

There is no lift and we were on the second floor (which could be a problem for those with mobility problems) but we like the exercise!

The hotel has obviously been refurbished in the last couple of years and presents as smart and boutique. The bathroom was particularly well presented.

Our room was fine and just big enough. The bed was very comfortable with a duvet, good quality bedding and a warm throw and the welcome tray was well stocked.

Breakfast was served in a very pleasant airy room at the front of the hotel and there was a wide choice of food. We didn't have the cooked breakfast but it looked very good.

All in all it was a very reasonable price, exactly what we needed and hoped for and I would highly recommend it.

Local eateries that we tried were:

The Pizza Provencale in Regent Street - good value, tasty Italian food
The Deli in the Mall - good quality sandwiches and soup at a reasonable price
The Clifton Sausage - good quality bistro food - £15 mid week for 2 courses.

Room Tip: There is no lift, so if you have heavy suitcases or mobility problems ask for a room on the first floor.
  • Stayed: March 2012, travelled as a couple
1  Thank CarolynBanks
Reviewed 20 February 2012

We stayed there for one night last Friday for a party and to see our daughter. The room was fine, but small, but there was never any pretence it would be anything more. It was clean and comfortable and had everything we needed for an overnight stop. I am usually very difficult to please on the bed front, but I must say I found the bed extremely comfortable. The breakfast was delicious the next morning, with proper sausages and free range eggs. Very friendly and helpful staff. Good car parking facilities and convenient location for us. Much cheaper than the nightly rate for chain hotels in the city centre and I am sure much nicer.

• Stayed: February 2012, travelled with family
Reviewed 6 February 2012

Nice small hotel with a bed and breakfast feel. Excellent reception despite my late arrival. My single room was the of the smallest I've ever stayed in (compared to the spacious and airy house itself) but comfortable nevertheless. Comfortable bed, free wifi in the rooms, basic shower and bathroom. Breakfast was OK. Location is spot-on for university business. In sum: hard to find fault with anything in this good-value-for-money B&B.

• Stayed: January 2012, travelled on business
Reviewed 19 January 2012

Stayed here just one night just before Christmas whilst visiting my daughters.
It was in a very handy position, easy walking distance into the centre and with a good sized car park which was definitely a plus point
We had a very nice room, quite large and modern with a large TV and leather sofa.
I was a bit disappointed with the lack of little extras (cotton wool, tissues, toiletries) and a very basic tea tray hardly any tea & coffee (no hot chocolate, de-caff, speciality teas, biscuits). I supply these in my own guest house and as the room cost £90 per night, much more than I charge, I was expecting them here.
The breakfast was lovely and the service was good.
On the whole I was happy with my stay and would stay here again, but would probably opt for one of the cheaper rooms.

• Stayed: December 2011, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 20 December 2011

I must confess the reports that I have seen about this hotel had me a bit worried before I booked, but a friend said she had stayed there and it was fine.

I stopped at Clifton House for 3 nights in December, whilst on business in Bristol.

The hotel used to be called Tyndalls Park Hotel and I remember from the days when I used to live in Bristol that it seemed run down.

I am not sure if there are now new owners but the hotel has be re-furbished, well I can only speak for the public areas and the room I stayed in. But lookig at the photos on their website it seems that other rooms ahve also been re-done

My room was spottless - very clean and very neat. The bed was wonderful and the bathroom was very spacious, with a large walk in shower. Nice big TV. There were a few little bits which were "un-finished" but nothing to say YUK at. My only tiny comment about the room was that I couldn't control the main lighting from the bed, but again that's not major.

The management..... People in other reviews had expressed concerns - but no - the manageress was great, always smiling and very helpful and friendly, the waitress's on the otherhand were a little cold. I don't expect them to tap dance for me, but a smile and a "good morning" would have been nice. I may have been looking out for that having read other reviews

The breakfast was fine - only the choice of full English or veggie. I didn't sample the veggie, but the full English kept me going all day. On day 2 I asked for just bacon sausage and scrambled egg - as I couldn't fit the full breakfast in. When it arrived the plate was full!! 2 sausages, 4 bacon and a massive scrambled egg - not complaining about that! There was a nice selection of cereals, some fresh fruit and yoghurts. They only served orange juice and water, no other juices. The breakfast gets a tick from me - it wasn't The Savoy, but nice.

One odd thing I did notice and this may have just been an irregularity of timing. The towel storage area for the cleaning staff was below the main staircase, without a door. Bit odd. If I were the management I would change this if it's a permanent feature, but again it wouldn't stop me from going there again.

Location of the hotel is great, just off Whiteladies Road, right next to the BBC. I could see the DIY SOS Van from my window. They have a car park, which I didn't use, but didn't seem full.

Would I go there again?