“Excellent value”
Review of Clifton House

Clifton House
Ranked #6 of 53 Bristol B&B and Inns
Reviewed 30 April 2012

I don't normally stay in B&Bs but this is handy for the University without the hike up a steep hill from the hotels in town.
I Also got a single room and found it very small, but at least perfectly formed, I could not really expect more for the price.
I expected road noise to disturb my sleep but in fact I slept very well.
All staff were very helpful and breakfast was excellent.

• Stayed: April 2012, travelled on business
There are newer reviews for Clifton House

Reviewed 27 April 2012

I stayed here recently and was welcomed by a very pleasant lady on reception.
I had booked a single room and was quite disappointed to see just how small it was - not one of the rooms featured in the website photos! Also the smell in the tiny en-suite was very off putting. On the bright side, the breakfast was delicious and the staff were very efficient and pleasant. I would stay here again as the location and parking was great, but I would pay more for a larger single or even a twin in future. There's no restaurant for an evening meal but you are near the Whiteladies Road and there's plenty of choice only a 10 -15 minute walk away.
Not suitable for the disabled traveller as there are steps to the front entrance and to all the rooms apart from the dining room once inside.

Room Tip: Pay extra for a larger room - even if you are a solo traveller. Room 7 is very small!
  • Stayed: April 2012, travelled with family
Reviewed 25 March 2012

I stayed at Clifton House for a couple of nights while attending a conference in Bristol. Received a warm welcome upon arrival. Room was small but well furnished, with a small en suite. Most importantly it was comfortable and I slept well. Had a good full English breakfast both days, although the Gloucester Old Spot sausages didn't appear any different to bog standard catering sausages. Would happily stay here again.

• Stayed: March 2012, travelled on business
Reviewed 11 March 2012

We chose Clifton House because of its proximity to Clifton Village where we were meeting friends and because it offered guaranteed parking and wi-fi.

It was easy to find with the help of Googlemap, parking was straight forward and we had a warm welcome from the staff.

There is no lift and we were on the second floor (which could be a problem for those with mobility problems) but we like the exercise!

The hotel has obviously been refurbished in the last couple of years and presents as smart and boutique. The bathroom was particularly well presented.

Our room was fine and just big enough. The bed was very comfortable with a duvet, good quality bedding and a warm throw and the welcome tray was well stocked.

Breakfast was served in a very pleasant airy room at the front of the hotel and there was a wide choice of food. We didn't have the cooked breakfast but it looked very good.

All in all it was a very reasonable price, exactly what we needed and hoped for and I would highly recommend it.

Local eateries that we tried were:

The Pizza Provencale in Regent Street - good value, tasty Italian food
The Deli in the Mall - good quality sandwiches and soup at a reasonable price
The Clifton Sausage - good quality bistro food - £15 mid week for 2 courses.

Room Tip: There is no lift, so if you have heavy suitcases or mobility problems ask for a room on the first fl...
  • Stayed: March 2012, travelled as a couple
1  Thank CarolynBanks
Reviewed 20 February 2012

We stayed there for one night last Friday for a party and to see our daughter. The room was fine, but small, but there was never any pretence it would be anything more. It was clean and comfortable and had everything we needed for an overnight stop. I am usually very difficult to please on the bed front, but I must say I found the bed extremely comfortable. The breakfast was delicious the next morning, with proper sausages and free range eggs. Very friendly and helpful staff. Good car parking facilities and convenient location for us. Much cheaper than the nightly rate for chain hotels in the city centre and I am sure much nicer.

• Stayed: February 2012, travelled with family
Reviewed 6 February 2012

Nice small hotel with a bed and breakfast feel. Excellent reception despite my late arrival. My single room was the of the smallest I've ever stayed in (compared to the spacious and airy house itself) but comfortable nevertheless. Comfortable bed, free wifi in the rooms, basic shower and bathroom. Breakfast was OK. Location is spot-on for university business. In sum: hard to find fault with anything in this good-value-for-money B&B.

• Stayed: January 2012, travelled on business
Reviewed 19 January 2012

Stayed here just one night just before Christmas whilst visiting my daughters.
It was in a very handy position, easy walking distance into the centre and with a good sized car park which was definitely a plus point
We had a very nice room, quite large and modern with a large TV and leather sofa.
I was a bit disappointed with the lack of little extras (cotton wool, tissues, toiletries) and a very basic tea tray hardly any tea & coffee (no hot chocolate, de-caff, speciality teas, biscuits). I supply these in my own guest house and as the room cost £90 per night, much more than I charge, I was expecting them here.
The breakfast was lovely and the service was good.
On the whole I was happy with my stay and would stay here again, but would probably opt for one of the cheaper rooms.

• Stayed: December 2011, travelled as a couple