“Excellent”
Review of Clifton House

Clifton House
Ranked #6 of 50 Bristol B&B and Inns
Reviewed 13 March 2014

Great room, great breakfast, great parking, great location. We had a family room which was very comfortable. Staff were very nice and helpful. Breakfast was freshly cooked and really good. All in all, a very good experience!

• Stayed: March 2014, travelled with family
1  Thank Philip C

Reviewed 10 March 2014

From the moment I stepped into the hotel I could tell that they clearly took care of the place and that it had a hell of a lot of character but because the building is quite old it has those quirks that come along with it, the stairs tilt a bit so if you’re a bit unsteady on your feet make sure to hold on to the bannister. I did think it was a bit weird that no one offered to help me with my bag especially as I was on the top floor (2nd floor) but it wasn’t too big a deal so I didn’t really care too much.

The room and en-suite were both quite small (I booked a double room) but as I was staying by myself I didn't really care. I have to mention though that only one thing let it down, when I lifted up the lid of the toilet I was hit by a waft of odour. It wasn’t from waste but I think from the water itself, really not pleasant but as long as the lid was down there’s no problem. There isn’t double glazing on the windows but that didn’t bother me at all, maybe that was because there wasn’t much traffic but really I don’t know. The walls between the walls were a little bit thin and I could hear vaguely what was happening in them but it was at a low volume so it was very bearable. The shower was lovely, quite powerful and I had as much hot water as I needed.

I hope this review helped but if you want a fuller one I wrote about my stay here: http://www.plusmylifestyle.com/hotel-review-clifton-house-hotel-bristol

Room Tip: The stairs are a little bit uneven and steep and there's no lift so if you think you'll have...
  • Stayed: January 2014, travelled with friends
Reviewed 4 March 2014

I enjoyed my stay here and I would agree with the average rating by guest to date of 4* (very good). I stayed in a small room which was downstairs. It was compact, but perfectly comfortable and the price of the room reflected the room size. I was coming and going a lot in the hotel and I came across many different staff members, all of whom were very friendly and welcoming. I would certainly recommend this hotel to other people and I would definitely stay here again.

• Stayed: February 2014, travelled on business
Reviewed 22 February 2014

great place altogether - wonderful staff - no question goes unsolved - came for my daughter's wedding - everything was more than perfect - if you want excellent service, good food, excellent prices and a great location - this is the place - I can highly recommend to anyone .......

Room Tip: it is a beautiful house - very nicely converted to b and b accommodation - big rooms, small rooms...
  • Stayed: February 2014, travelled with family
1  Thank katiiekroll
Reviewed 17 February 2014

I was visiting my grandson, who is at uni in Bristol, for the weekend. Clifton House is an ideal location and a very pleasant stay indeed, and friendly, which is important when you are a solo visitor. The breakfast was very good but I agree with another review that the cups are rather small and basic, so difficult to get a generous cup of either tea or coffee without a return visit to the sometimes crowded serving table.

Room Tip: My room on the top floor was lovely and light but the walk up was not for the faint-hearted.
  • Stayed: February 2014, travelled solo
1  Thank patricia441368
Reviewed 11 February 2014

First of all - what a terrific location! All of Bristol and Clifton in walking distance, and with a car park as well. Great stuff. We had a suite which had a huge bed, a sofa and a wall-mounted flat screen TV (great for the rugby, if that's your thing!). Bathroom was a good size, but I would have liked a bath and all day walking up and down Bristol's hills.

However, what a disappointment when we went down to breakfast. We were ushered into a poky basement room because the upstairs breakfast room was already full. We were given no choice of cooked breakfast - just a full English or help yourself from the buffet. Now my other half loves a full English but he was disappointed by the bacon, and the mushrooms clearly came out of a tin. As for the tea - well, is it really too difficult to give each table a teapot and a jug of milk? A communal jug flask next to a box of teabags is really second-rate, especially when the milk is on another table, near the cereals. And the crockery was that cheap, thick, cream-coloured stuff which smacks of a budget B&B. Very shabby I'm afraid.

But these are all easily remedied - this hotel has all the key ingredients in place in terms of location and rooms - just get the breakfast right and it will be spot on!

• Stayed: February 2014, travelled as a couple
3  Thank Caroline H
Reviewed 9 February 2014 via mobile

I've been visiting this hotel on my business trips for over 15 years. It's always been a very pleasant stay with great service.
It's recent modernisation has made it even more comfortable and the breakfast room is just beautiful.
I've always had great sleep in comfortable bed and clean surroundings.
Good parking facilities.