“Beautiful older building updated”
4 of 5 bubbles Review of Clifton House

and 1 more site!
Clifton House
Ranked #6 of 51 Bristol B&B and Inns
Osprey, Florida
“Beautiful older building updated”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 29 April 2014

We stayed at Clifton House while doing a university visit. The rooms and bathrooms were clean and comfortable. Our only issue was that it was awkward to go up three steps to the bathroom which meant that there was a chance when getting up from the toilet of falling down those steps. The location was perfect for us and the neighborhood is charming. We did seem to stump the staff when we asked for a recommendation for a good Indian restaurant and the directions: Go left and it is in Clifton Village: might work for some but for those of us who had never been there was a bit nebulous. Breakfast was delicious with a daily special each day or a full English breakfast along with a table with a continental breakfast laid out. Staff were very friendly.

Room Tip: If you don't want to climb too many stairs, ask for a lower level room.
  • Stayed April 2014, travelled with family
2 Thank arpc29

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (96)
  • Finnish first
ingleby barwick
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 28 April 2014

clifton house is clean and the bed was comfortable . the shower was more like a trickle rather than a lovely hot shower , breakfast was nice . its a b&b and has no personel touch to it . we stayed over a bank holiday and breakfast times were ammended with only a 45 min window for breakfast . no lift and we were on the top floor the shower tiles had some mould on them

• Stayed April 2014, travelled as a couple
London, United Kingdom
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 12 April 2014

Good location near the university with very friendly service. I would definitely consider staying here again.

Our particular standard double room was a bit snug, but had good amenities. My husband particularly liked the hot chocolate included with the tea and coffee tray! The bed was very comfortable and the window overlooked a quiet street.

The condition of the room was let down a bit by the cleanliness of the shower - some mould on the shower head and on the lower half tile grouting, which could easily be gotten rid of with a good clean. It wasn't a huge amount - not a bit enough problem for me to demand an additional clean considering we were only staying one night, but it was noticeable enough to be a bit disappointing... I marked cleanliness down on my ratings only because of the shower condition was not what I would consider 'average' compared to other hotels of similar classification; I expected more as the rest of the hotel was definitely at a higher standard. However, the good bits of the stay made up for this small disappointment.

The price was good value for the area, particularly considering the FABULOUS cooked breakfast in the morning - the scrambled eggs were just about the best I've ever had at a hotel.

Room Tip: We liked our room away from the front of the hotel as the window was to a nice and quiet street...
  • Stayed April 2014, travelled as a couple
1 Thank DavidandGretch
Exeter, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 11 April 2014

Location is superb (university, schools, BBC, hospitals, city sights and good life), the Victorian building is beautiful and comfortable, the staff efficient and friendly. The free parking in the heart of Clifton is the icing on the cake. Can't fault it so I would stay again whenever in Bristol and can recommend it without hesitation.

• Stayed April 2014, travelled solo
Harrogate, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 13 March 2014

Great room, great breakfast, great parking, great location. We had a family room which was very comfortable. Staff were very nice and helpful. Breakfast was freshly cooked and really good. All in all, a very good experience!

• Stayed March 2014, travelled with family
1 Thank Philip C
London, United Kingdom
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 10 March 2014

From the moment I stepped into the hotel I could tell that they clearly took care of the place and that it had a hell of a lot of character but because the building is quite old it has those quirks that come along with it, the stairs tilt a bit so if you’re a bit unsteady on your feet make sure to hold on to the bannister. I did think it was a bit weird that no one offered to help me with my bag especially as I was on the top floor (2nd floor) but it wasn’t too big a deal so I didn’t really care too much.

The room and en-suite were both quite small (I booked a double room) but as I was staying by myself I didn't really care. I have to mention though that only one thing let it down, when I lifted up the lid of the toilet I was hit by a waft of odour. It wasn’t from waste but I think from the water itself, really not pleasant but as long as the lid was down there’s no problem. There isn’t double glazing on the windows but that didn’t bother me at all, maybe that was because there wasn’t much traffic but really I don’t know. The walls between the walls were a little bit thin and I could hear vaguely what was happening in them but it was at a low volume so it was very bearable. The shower was lovely, quite powerful and I had as much hot water as I needed.

I hope this review helped but if you want a fuller one I wrote about my stay here: http://www.plusmylifestyle.com/hotel-review-clifton-house-hotel-bristol

Room Tip: The stairs are a little bit uneven and steep and there's no lift so if you think you'll have...
  • Stayed January 2014, travelled with friends
Sydney, Australia
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 4 March 2014

I enjoyed my stay here and I would agree with the average rating by guest to date of 4* (very good). I stayed in a small room which was downstairs. It was compact, but perfectly comfortable and the price of the room reflected the room size. I was coming and going a lot in the hotel and I came across many different staff members, all of whom were very friendly and welcoming. I would certainly recommend this hotel to other people and I would definitely stay here again.

• Stayed February 2014, travelled on business