“Looks good, but.....”

Ranked #29 of 37 Hotels in Bristol
Devon
“Looks good, but.....”
Reviewed 19 May 2014

My wife and I had an appointment in Clifton so wanted to stay in the village area close by. We booked late and there was not much availability locally but wanted to stay in one of the classical old buildings. This came up, looked the part so we took a chance, but looks can be deceiving. The first good part was the off street parking. I understand that this can be limited but we got there early so had no problem. We lugged our cases up the stairs to reception to find that we were allocated a room in the building next door. In the photos it looks like one large old house but it isn't, its two. Odd, no problem for us but could cause difficulties for some and it was a good job it was not raining! The room was on the first floor and it was massive. I think it may have originally been a drawing or dining room with huge windows and swag curtains, a large marble fireplace etc. So far so good. Then we started looking around, on plugging my phone in to charge I noticed the socket almost hanging off the wall. Quite a few stains on the carpet by the door and one of the headboards was also hanging down. The beds were two singles pushed together which is not unusual but the duvet was on inside out and the sheet didn't fit as it was probably only for a double and this needed a super king. Sensing problems in sleeping my wife went to reception to sort it out and was offered another sheet. We then had to make the beds ourselves and even then the second sheet didn't fit end to end only around the sides!! We went out for dinner so can't comment on the evening meal. Returning for a good nights sleep I found that when we had turned out the lights the internet modem on the ceiling was continually flashing blue and with the smoke alarm showing red it seemed like we had landing lights on the ceiling.
We were also awoken at 5.00 by two very loud guys in the hall outside discussion the days business which we had to ask to be quiet. Not the hotels fault but it just added to everything.
Breakfast was back in the other building so as it was freezing outside we had to nip quickly over to the restaurant room. Breakfast was fine. Plenty of choice and when we asked for fresh eggs they arrived without any problem.
I can't quite work out if the room we stayed in was for another purpose and just had a bed thrown in to accommodate us. Either way the size didn't make up for its shortcomings. So great location, good but limited parking, nice breakfast, odd layout and poor room and housekeeping service.

Room Tip: Take a brolly just in case. Arrive early for parking
  • Stayed March 2014, travelled as a couple

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (125)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
Worthing, United Kingdom
Reviewed 16 May 2014

I have just returned from an overnight stay in Room 245 if this hotel. Room at its widest point is just wide enough for the single bed lengthways! No bedside lamp. Dirty Carpet and ill-fitting door. Room is more of a cupboard than a room. No pictures of soft furnishings at all and felt like a prison cell. Soap dispenser not working in shower room. Seems like hotel were being greedy upon design and halved each room in order to accomodate more guests. When approached receptionist, she was unable to make eye contact, did not apologise for our dissatisfaction, told us that this is what we should expect for the money and suggested we have a refund and go and stay at the local hostel. A great way to treat your customers. As professionals staying for a business meeting, this is not the way we expect to be treated. We will not be staying here again.

Room Tip: Just dont stay there.
  • Stayed May 2014, travelled on business
MichaelHamilton, Manager at Victoria Square Hotel, responded to this review, 19 May 2014
Thank you for your recent review. I am sorry that you were disappointed with your stay.

For the benefit of any potential guests reading this review I would just like to clarify that room 245 is a single room, of which there are 3 in the hotel. The remaining 39 rooms in the hotel are a range of Small doubles, Standard doubles, Large doubles, and Family rooms and prices vary according to each room. The 3 single rooms are small as this reviewer points out, however this means we are able to price them very competitively for the area so they are ideal for solo travellers on a budget. However they aren’t for everyone due to the size, in which case one of our double rooms may prove more appropriate. Our friendly reception team are on hand for any room enquiries and are more than happy to go into detail regarding the room types on offer 01179 739058 (7am – 11pm) or info@victoriasquarehotel.co.uk

Best regards,

Michael Hamilton
Hotel Manager

Travellers are raving about these Bristol hotels

cornwall
Reviewed 14 May 2014

cannot praise enough the staff and their helpfulness during my stay at this hotel. The room was quiet clean and with one double and one single bed for two of us - more than adequate. Had a place in the car park for my car. The breakfast was excellent. My daughter was an in patient at a hospital nearby and I was not sure how long my visit would last but the staff ensured that I did not have to worry about availability of my room. When my daughter was discharged - after 2pm - although I had booked the room for that night but did not want it as I was driving back down to Penzance,I was not charged for the room which the hotel would have been quite within their rights to do so. A big thankyou for being so understanding. Would thoroughly recommend this hotel

• Stayed May 2014, travelled with family
Pitlochry, United Kingdom
Reviewed 11 May 2014

I recently stayed at the above hotel.the receptionist and staff were also approachable friendly and professional.it is in a marvellous location overlooking a large wooded park.bus stops are right outside the door.if visiting Bristol you really must book and stay here.

Room Tip: get one overlooking the park
  • Stayed May 2014, travelled solo
paddock wood
Reviewed 9 May 2014

We stopped for one night at this hotel on the 3rd May and found the staff friendly and helpful,

The room was clean and tidy and the breakfast (albeit an extra) was good.

The car Park was easily missed and we did but we parked at side of hotel without problem and without charge.

Good Location for exploring Clifton and we made use of the bus service into town, as the bust stop is conveniently placed immediately outside the hotel.

Would recommend and stay again.

• Stayed May 2014, travelled as a couple
Leicester, United Kingdom
Reviewed 5 May 2014

We stayed here for one night as we were visiting Bristol.
Location is very convenient for the town and the suspension bridge. It is a bit of a uphill walk from the town however there is a bus stop outside the Hotel. Buses to and from the town serve this regularly. The car park is a bit tight to get into, a bit tight to park in and not surfaced very well. The parking is limited, first come first served basis. There is 'on road' parking but this is also in short supply.
Accommodation. We took two double rooms for the four of us. These are described as standard rooms, there are apparently some smaller rooms. Both rooms we had were very small. Enough room to walk around the bed, just. A sash window that may or may not open at all, depending on how strong you are. The bathrooms are no bigger than enough to squeeze in the toilet, sink and shower cubicle. You get more room than this in an upmarket touring caravan!
Food. I booked the rooms, asking for the free breakfast as advertised on their blog site, not the Best Western site. This is a franchise type establishment. Upon arrival I was informed of the basic bill that would need to be paid on departure, which included a charge for breakfasts. I disputed this and was reluctantly agreed with, the reduced rate was quoted. Arriving for breakfast the next morning we were told that we had not booked in for breakfast and the cost would be added to our bill. The same discussion as when arriving, but with less acceptance from the lady who did agree after I began to raise my voice to ensure my protest was heard by other guests, (not annoyingly loud I hasten to add).
When we came to check out the same argument (and it had become an argument) about the cost of breakfast again. The receptionist insisting I entered my card and pin into the machine to pay the bill. After I refused and she had paid a visit to the 'back room' she returned and hammered the keyboard to produce a revised bill that she slapped down on the desk in front of me, No comment but "insert card and pin please!"
I wouldn't mind if the breakfast was anything special, it was OK but we have definitely had better.
We will not be staying here again and if anyone from Best Western is reading this, we will not be using a hotel bearing your name again.

Room Tip: Try another Hotel, if these are standard, then the standards need raising!
  • Stayed March 2014, travelled with family