“Absolute Rubbish - Very Disappointing”

The Regency Bristol Hotel
Ranked #41 of 52 Bristol B&B and Inns
“Absolute Rubbish - Very Disappointing”
Reviewed 26 November 2013

I rang the hotel before I booked and was assured I would get a parking space easily - I did not. It took me 45 minutes to find a space down a dark back alley, with empty alcohol bottles lying in it, 5 minute walk away from the hotel. My money was taken from me on arrival before I had even seen the room which I thought was rude.

The room was awful. It was a basement room and it was cold and damp. There was a flimsy wooden door that led to a small yard outside. Behind the small yard was a dark alleyway. I said to the gentleman on reception that I was uncomfortable as it did not seem very secure and I was a young woman travelling on my own. He said it was secure and he could not move me to another room. In the night the gate to the yard opened (I dont know why) and the wooden door didnt shut properly so I hardly think it was secure.

The room itself was dirty - there were big black hairs in the bathroom and on the bed and there were stains on the carpet. The radiator was full of rust and filthy dirty.

The website said that there was a restaurant open till 10pm (this was reiterated in the welcome pack) but when I asked to reserve a table I was told the restaurant was closed. I asked why and the gentleman in the bar just said 'unforseen circumstances'. A second gentleman on reception eventually told me that the restaurant had 'gone bust recently'. I asked him when but he wouldnt tell me. I dont think its fair that people are booking this hotel expecting a restaurant that is no longer in business. I had to go out and find my own restaurant.

The walls are paper thin and I could hear everything that was going on beside me and above me.

Breakfast was a joke - everything was cold and it was very limited. The bowls and plates were dirty.

On my departure I told the lady on reception all of the above and I have heard nothing back from the hotel.

• Stayed November 2013, travelled on business
1 Thank katiehunter87

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (55)
Leeds, United Kingdom
Reviewed 25 November 2013

I stayed in this hotel last week it's a nice hotel reasonable price. Staff at reception are friendly and really helpful. Room is tidy and clean, new. It's cozy. Not far from city centre, shopping centre is within walking distance. Sure I'll stay here again and will let my friends know about this hotel .

• Stayed November 2013
1 Thank bfbeacon
Cardiff, United Kingdom
Reviewed 24 November 2013

We stayed in this hotel at the beginning of this month. It is a very lovely hotel with friendly staff who are helpful. Clean room, not very big, tho. Good thing is you can use Gym and pool though it's 5 mins walk down there. We'd definitely like to stay here again if we come to Bristol again, and we are happy to recommend to our friends.

• Stayed November 2013, travelled as a couple
Liverpool
Reviewed 11 November 2013

I stayed here for two nights. The first night I was in a room in the basement, which had a french window which I could not close after I had opened it in the morning, a large damp patch on the wall, a shabby shower with black stains by the drain, and no bedside table or shelf - all this despite the hotel's website saying that all their rooms have been newly-refurbished. This one clearly hadn't been. I was moved to another room for the second night which was completely fine, with a very comfortable bed. The shower was pretty small though, and the room was noisy, as it overlooked the street with the wheelie bins.
As others have said, breakfast at £6.95 is over-priced. Basic cereals and juice but no yoghurt, for example. Coffee was brought to the table in a mug. I opted for poached eggs on toast but the (dry) toast was stone cold and the eggs were virtually solid. I sent it back, but the second time was hardly any better, and I had to ask for salt and pepper.
Overall my stay was disappointing. The staff I dealt with, particularly the young woman on the reception desk and the young man on duty in the breakfast room were very pleasant and friendly, but that doesn't compensate for having to move to another room and such a bad breakfast experience.

• Stayed November 2013, travelled solo

Travellers are raving about these Bristol hotels

Hampshire
Reviewed 5 November 2013

Checked in and was a bit surprised to be asked to pay on arrival and make a decision there and then about breakfast. The room charge was the same as other hotels in the area but the approach was more geared to a cheaper place, ie pay on arrival and sign to say you will pay if you lose the key etc. Reception was also deserted and there didn't appear to be a proper hotel bar etc. If you come back after midnight then the doors will be locked. I guess I just expected that for the hotel room charge it would be more like a hotel with a 24hour reception, room service, and lounge and bar. There wasn't any parking and it was hard to find somewhere on the busy roads. also my room was freezing and they seemed to have some trouble getting the heating on and to stay on it it. When I woke up it was off and the bathroom was ice cold and the towels felt damp and the towel rail wasn't on. The shower pressure was hopeless. All in all I wished I had stayed at the Holiday inn or Avon Gorge which were the same price at the time and had the comforts of a larger hotel. I felt this one was more like a guest house, ie clean but basic rooms without service and hotel facilities and the room charge should have been half the price it was. When I cam back at 11.30pm the door was open but there wasn't anyone on recption and the place was deserted.

• Stayed November 2013, travelled on business
Middlesbrough
Reviewed 4 November 2013

I wish I had taken notice of other reviews and gone elsewhere. Room was tiny with sloping ceilings and I felt very Chlaustrophobic. I did not have enough money to go elsewhere and should have looked at room first as others have said.

Claims to be re-furbished, but it is very cheap. Web-site pictures of outside areas with umbrellas looks like a bar diagonally across the road and not at the hotel.

Altogether, very misleading.

• Stayed October 2013, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Paul S
Ioannina, Greece
Reviewed 2 November 2013

The first time I visited Bristol, I stayed at Regency. Firstly, everyone was very helpful, something which creates immediately a safe and nice environment for visitors. The hotel is very cute, nice decorated and the most important, it was extremely clean. I would certainly stay at the same hotel again, when I visit Bristol in future. I went for business and I asked via e-mail a quite room with good internet access. So, my room was like being to a village, not hearing anything, and I had fast internet access to do my job on my laptop. Breakfast was cooked on demand, very fresh and tasty. Fresh fruits, cereals, fresh coffee etc were also available and served by a very person. Also, the hotel is located in a very beautiful area, quite close to many services i.e. banks, bars, market etc. Thank you guys, it was very nice to meeting you...see you again!!!

• Stayed October 2013, travelled on business