“Good place - Good service”

The Regency Bristol Hotel
Ranked #37 of 53 Bristol B&B and Inns
Reviewed 23 June 2014

I had a couple of nights here and enjoyed my short stay. Room was clean, tidy, and comfortable. Wifi worked well. Staff were friendly from the front desk, to the kitchen staff who chatted to me while I had breakfast. There is a very good pub opposite that has good food. The Hotel is a short 3 minute drive to the very impressive Clifton suspension bridge, which I would recommend anyone check out when in Bristol. Bath is a short drive about 20 - 30 minutes away.

• Stayed: July 2013, travelled solo

Reviewed 22 June 2014

When you enter this hotel it does feel really grand and you can tell that the owners are trying very hard. However once you climb the stairs they have cut a few corners. The rooms are really small and they have just crammed too much in. To turn around in some of the bathrooms you need to come out and go back in again. There are water stains over the ceilings cracks in the walls. The bed was like sleeping on quicksand....really soft and well worn. Trying to park near the hotel was impossible. There is room for 3 cars on the front so if you miss that then you are left to search the nearby streets which are full and very narrow. I ended up parking nearly 5mins away! The bar downstairs was odd...friendly but full of people smoking those Shisha pipes. The breakfast next morning was great. Cooked to order and really tasty.
Its a shame the owners have tried to pack so much in. It could be a really nice hotel with a bit more thought on the layout and decor.

• Stayed: June 2014, travelled on business
Reviewed 16 June 2014 via mobile

Booked this hotel quite late but got a very good value deal.

The hotel is quite small but the reception staff are very friendly and helpful.

The hotel is close to some of the tourist attractions in Bristol including Bristol Zoo and Clifton Suspension Bridge.

There is free off street parking close by but be warned if you park on the pavement or yellow lines you will get ticketed.

The rooms are small but comfortable and clean as was the shower room.

The only downside was at breakfast where I had to ask a couple of times for a glass of water (fairly minor I guess).

The bonus for staying at this hotel is that they have a limited number of local gym passes which I did use. Note the gym does get busy in the early evening but is open 24 hours.

Would stay again.

Happy travels!

Stayed: June 2014, travelled with friends
Reviewed 25 May 2014

I was during February 12 to February 15, 2014 , from (Tenerife ) Spain to Bristol, a business trip, before going to this hotel I was shuffling different hotels in the center of bristol but I finally decided on this hotel located in clifton and 2 minutes from the university.

I arrived at the airport with a taxi and in just 25 minutes and I was in the hotel , the first impression is of an elegant home, a classy hotel .

The staff especially the receptionists two boys and three girls especially a receptionist with blonde hair , was very kind to me , the two receptionists guys helped me with luggage and there are no elevators . I did not have to do anything!

When I got to the room ( single) had my favorite tea and the room was very clean and very well equipped room , nor cold nor hot.

In the morning I asked the clerk if they had a gym pass . and they will tell me if it was perfect !

It had the proper equipment for the meeting at the colston hall .

When I returned at sunset welcomed me with warmth all the manager, a very elegant woman with a perfect English accent , very easy to understand , she asked how I was and if I needed anything ...

I recommend this hotel 100% , perfect for business !

Room Tip: My room was 331! WAS BIG!
  • Stayed: February 2014, travelled on business
1  Thank Carlos R
Reviewed 21 May 2014

I booked this hotel at the last minute as it was pretty centrally located. On the plus side the receptionist was friendly and very helpful, the room I had was very small but clean and comfortable (if a little basic) and it was easy to find (this was before I moved to Bristol so that was important). Having said that, it is in a pretty noisy area (especially on a Friday night when I stayed) and the hotel layout is a little, shall we say quirky with lots of stairs and twists and turns. It definitely isn't suitable if you have any mobility problems as I don' think there was a lift. The real bonus is the restaurant that is within the hotel, the food is fantastic it's worth staying here for that alone.

• Stayed: February 2014, travelled solo
Reviewed 11 May 2014

The hotel is well placed with cafes and bars etc a short walk away. The room was clean as were the communal areas (that I used). The room was described as 'superior' but was a bit on the small side and although tea & coffee making facilities were provided I felt that there could have also been mineral water. I did not have breakfast at the hotel (personal preference - nothing against the hotel).

On the down side there was no lift, although it is hard to see where one would be fitted in as it is an older building. The real let down was the shower. The room I had was in the eaves and due to this the shower was at a very awkward height as it was situated on the lower wall which meant not being able to stand up properly to have a shower.

The staff were friendly and welcoming and were happy to provide ironing facilities. The bed was comfortable. On the whole I would stay at The Regency again, but not on the top floor!

Room Tip: Lower floors should have full height showers
  • Stayed: May 2014, travelled with friends
Reviewed 5 May 2014

OK, lets start with the positives. The location was ideal for what we wanted and the hotel staff were lovely. really helpful and did all they could The hotel is no way a 4 star, i can not believe this is possible with the restaurant only doing breakfast, no lift their story being it is a listed building, what a joke, loads of listed buildings have lifts. Tiny room, sit on the toilet your knees touch the wall, no way to fill the kettle in the tiny sink and no sleep the first night. Most of the problems are because it is on a really busy road opposite a noisy night club and all Bristols drunks seem to walk pass shouting loudly. We were at the back but you get the noise from customers from the hotels rear bar and an awful buzzing from the hotels floodlights and the sound of the fans in the adjoining rooms every time someone goes to their toilet. People seem to use this hotel when they are incapable of making it home because they are too drunk. Last night we had someone come in at 3.40 am, yes seriously! It was like a bomb had gone off with doors slamming and left us both wide awake for some time while we waited for something else to happen!
Breakfast, well where to start! It was like Manuel from Fawlty Towers.Cereal for 4 days was brown cheap looking weetabix,bran flakes and a tiny amount of corn flakes which was never topped up, had to ask for a bowl, ask for milk and when my wife asked for white sugar for her brown weetabix he looked at her srangly" no madam we do not have white sugar" We had pre-ordered a cooked breakfast, he asked what we would like, my wife wanted fried egg, sausage hash browns baked beans bacon and toast but no mushrooms or tomatoes. Sorry no sausage,. Very cheap beans.Had to request butter for the toast when it came it was awful margarine like echo and asked for marmalade he brought red jam and said have as much as you want. No I want marmalade!" Que? What is that, I bring you marmalade." No white toast only brown. I asked for mushrooms and scrambled eggs,"So sorry no mushrooms and the shops are shut" What for 4 days? and when it came he said "who was the scrambled eggs," I said "Me", he said "sorry fried eggs not scrambled., shall I change it?" No do not bother, my reply. Just keep away unless you love Fawlty Towers!

Room Tip: Not front or back or up the tight stairs [we did get help up with our bags on arrival}, no where rea...
  • Stayed: May 2014, travelled as a couple