“Do not go near this hotel”

Hotel du Vin & Bistro
Ranked #4 of 39 Hotels in Bristol
GreenLeadersGold level
Reviewed 24 May 2011

I stayed for anight in this hotel. In the morning, when I was using the lift to return to my room, after breakfast, there was a power failure. I was trapped in the lift. I was surprised that there was no emergency lights in the lift, nor was the alarm working. I banged on the lift door to attract attention to my plight, but there was no response. Luckily I hada weak signal on my mobile, and I called the hotel reception and told them that I am stuck in the lift, without an emergency light or an alarm. It took them 30 minutes to get me out of the lift.

I wonder how their lift has passed the Health and Safety checks. Despite my plight, the hotel staff were least considerate of what I have been through! Ugh!

I would NEVER EVER like to be in a similar situation, and would never stay there again!

• Stayed: May 2011, travelled on business
5  Thank Dmohan
HdVBristol, Manager at Hotel du Vin & Bistro, responded to this reviewResponded 30 May 2011

Good Afternoon,

In response to your review, it was a very unfortunate experience last Tuesday when almost the whole of Bristol city centre lost all electrical power. The fact that you were in the lift at the exact time of the power cut was even more unfortunate for you. The Hotel's Maintenance Manager did everything he could to get you out as quickly and safely as we could. As a company we have very stick health and safety guidelines to adhere to, one of them being that our lift passes all safety checks and this particular lift's certificate is valid for another 4 months.

We are sorry for the experience you had with us and the loss of power you experienced, if you would like to discuss it further please contact the hotel directly.

Kind Regards

The Management

Reviewed 14 April 2011

We enjoyed the sunday night special offer with room for £10. This was exceptional value. highly recommended!

• Stayed: April 2011, travelled with family
Reviewed 28 March 2011

Myself and my partner stayed here for one night on a “Deal Package” which was £200 for bed, breakfast and evening meal.

Upon arrival of Hotel Du Vin in Bristol, we were lucky enough to get a car park space outside the hotel (however you still have to pay for the parking space which in our case was £2.50 however the way the meter works you can only pay upto 8am the next morning so either you have to get up for 8am or fling some clothes on and feed the meter with money again). I would have thought that Hotel Du Vin would of negotiated with Bristol Council and come up with a better system?

Receptionist was professional and friendly and check in was easy, and we stayed in the Bollinger room which was fantastic.
The room was massive with a big king size bed, 2 leather arms chairs, big TV, Mini Bar and the bathroom with its roll top bath and walk in monsoon shower was a really nice touch, a few chips in the sink and overall clean so we were both pleased.

However what marked it down was the evening, we had a table booked for 9pm and we were shown to our table straight away, the dining room wasn’t over busy and seemed that the waiters / waitress had everything under control.
Once we gave our name you would of thought a nice hotel such as this would be more on the ball with its reservations and could see from there system that we were on this meal deal package. However the waiter came across and we thought it better to mention about our deal.
The waiter then came back with what seemed like a voucher which he wanted us to fill in however this voucher stated it was £55?.
We explained to waiter that infact this was the wrong deal and had to explain it to him what meal package we were on. Finally what seemed like the manager came across and told the waiter what to do.

Ok we thought a slight hiccup, however by this time we were given a 2nd menu then finally we ordered.
Not sure if they only had one chef on but the service was so slow, the first course came out and the food was really nice cooked to perfection, then eventually the waiter came took our plates away and then waited ages for the main course, again arrived and it was beautiful. By this point we just waited age’s infact I would say 50mins until we ordered our dessert course which then took ages to arrive.
It such a shame that the food is so nice but the service is very poor and from what I can read it hasn’t just happened to us.

Finally we went into the bar area where the barmen were very much on the ball and service was fast and professional.

The next morning as the car park was up for 8am and the meter needed feeding again we just decided as we were awake early to go down for breakfast for this time and put money into the meter.

The breakfast was nice however again the service was just very slow, no one came over to say is everything ok considering we have stayed in some budget hotels to some 5 star hotels in Singapore (but I suppose that’s just us the British not going overboard with the service).

Overall experience if we had small room and together with the service I would of gone to the manager however the room made up for it, the service for a top hotel is below basic standards and I would hate to think if they were ever busy what would happen (take your own sandwiches perhaps). When we checked out we refused to pay for the £10 service charge due to the poor service at dinner/breakfast

• Stayed: March 2011, travelled as a couple
2  Thank CAMPO75C
Reviewed 12 March 2011

We stayed for a romantic night away without the kids and had been promised fabulousness. The hotel has lots of personality and the staff were very friendly but our room was only ok. To get out of bed you had to either scooch to the end, climb over your bed-mate or duck under a massive metal beam, which posed a problem during night-time toilet trips after a bottle of wine. The bed was lovely and massive but the 'individually designed' decor looked like an afterthought. The bathroom was absolutely enormous and had a great monsoon shower but was a bit worn around the edges. Really good mini bar selection and as long as you don't mind a big glass panel on the bathroom door, then it was a perfectly nice room. The restaurant was wonderful. The wine waiter was very knowledgeable and was happy to chat about the wines we chose. My husband didn't get his wine in time for his meal and had to ask several times, which isn't really the first class service you would expect at those prices. The meal was nice, although rather than a choice from the gorgeous looking cheese tray, I was brought a pre-cut selection from a waitress who was quite clearly making up a random description of what the different cheeses were. It didn't matter - they all tasted great. All in all it wasn't quite the amazing experience that the website and the brochures suggest but was a pleasant was to spend a night away.

• Stayed: January 2011, travelled as a couple
2  Thank Sebsiedo
Reviewed 9 March 2011

We stayed here for a romantic Valentines night break and had a lovely evening. The room was absolutely huge and we really liked the decor. The windows have been triple glazed so we heard no noise at all from the road outside - and enjoyed a very peaceful nights sleep on the comfy bed. The toiletries were plentiful as were the tea/coffee facilities. We wanted to eat in the hotel for dinner but was told it was fully booked which was disappointing. However after a lot of persuading we managed to be 'squeezed in' . This was where the service was a big let down. We stood in the dining room for about 10 mins waiting to be seated, and from then on had to constantly catch someones attention to ask for things. My vegetarian meal was burnt unfortunately, and my chocolate fondant dessert had dried out to a crisp.
The front desk also took a 'deposit' off my partners credit card - despite him having paid upfront for the room and asking to pay as we go for drinks and food. The deposit was over £200 which we didn't think was appropriate as we had already settled the bill beforehand.
Overall it is a lovely place - but the staff/service need a shake up - they spend too much time chatting amongst themselves.

• Stayed: February 2011, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 22 February 2011

For the money I would expect higher standards and more attentive service. To give a few examples we arrived to find tables in the lounge available to sit at if it wasn't for all the dirty glasses on the tables, the cushions were all flat and tables unclean. We sat down and waited a good 10 minutes before anyone noticed, a further 15 minutes to receive a drink and another 10 for our menus. There are vegetarian options available but if your like me and also eat fish you might be disappointed as all the fish dishes contain meat, of course I asked if the meat could be excused from the dish only to be told no. Wine is a speciality of hotel du vin, the list is an excellent mix of old and new world wines, I chose a New Zealand sauvignon blanc for £35, the next day I found exactly the same wine in my local wine merchants for £11, in addition the wine isn't served for you and nobody asked if everything was ok with the meal, in fact the only service we received was bringing dishes to and from the table. £110 for two was only just made acceptable by the sublime main course otherwise Id have asked to speak to the management and made a complaint. I've stayed at the Tunbridge Wells Hotel du Vin and its far better due mostly to the level of service offered in comparison to Bristol. For the money and style of food Casanis in Bath is far far better (no I don't know the owners!).

Stayed: February 2011, travelled as a couple
4  Thank dljones75
Reviewed 21 February 2011

Either my standards have gone up or the standards at the hotel du vin have slipped. we did not get the room we asked for, in fact the room we were told we would get didn't even exist in this hotel (problems of the central booking system). even then , the room was not available till about four in the afternoon (a bit rich when they ask you to leave at 11am). the menu is hardly inspired, i ordered the pigeon, apparently the last one and as it had been dropped en route to the table, i then had to wait for another dish. my wife ordered the steak which frankly for the price was a slither of meat, it definitely didn't warrant being the most expensive dish on the menu. the only thing that saves the hotel du vin is the wine (obviously), however, the sommellier was hopeless. he didn't even ask what we were eating, which i think is the basics of his job, he also had unpleasant body odour. really, it just felt like a jumped up all bar one. i've stayed in a number of the hotel du vin hotels and this is probably the last. to top it off, there was also rancid milk in the minibar! to be fair, the staff did their best, we were offered a free drink for the delay, another free drink for the wrong room, our main courses were paid for and they also took care of our mini bar bill... HOWEVER, we weren't there for a free weekend, and all this free stuff obviously just highlighted how shoddy the oveall experience was. I'd still recommend it due to past experiences but I'd definitely add a disclaimer.

• Stayed: February 2011, travelled as a couple