“Central, comfortable, stylish and good with or without children”

Hotel du Vin & Bistro
Ranked #4 of 39 Hotels in Bristol
GreenLeadersGold level
Reviewed 18 June 2011

We have stayed here several times - twice with children in connecting rooms and several times as a couple, without children - and we've all loved it every time.

The beds are huge and comfortable, the monsoon showers are fantastic (even my soap dodging 7 year old likes them) and the bar area is great for meeting friends or romantic drinks. The sofa area is dark and cosy and it could be any time of day once you're in there, which is what you want when you're away with your husband / partner / lover.

I've just looked at their website though and the prices seem to have gone up enormously - I've never paid £330 for a standard room and neither would I think it worth that tbh but I've been happy to pay around £200 (or more for 2 rooms that connect).

The parking situation is a pain - if you're lucky enough to get one of the hotel spaces outside (we were last time we stayed) then do NOT move your car again if you can help it, they're like gold dust. Otherwise it's over the road in the NCP, which is fine really.

The hotel is within walking distance of Cabot Circus, the docks, Park Street and central Bristol so the location is good and the good double glazing means you can't hear anything despite being right in the centre of Bristol.

I'm not sure if they do room service, I seem to remember that HDV only does in some hotels and that's a bit of a pain really, they ought to.

We'll almost certainly go again but only on a Laterooms or similar deal - for £330 I can stay at One Aldwych and if I was spending that kind of money that's probably where I'd go.

• Stayed: October 2010, travelled as a couple
Write a ReviewReviews (1,273)

Reviewed 14 June 2011

We stayed at the hotel du vin for one night while meeting up with family. We found on arrivel the hotel staff very friendly and informative. The room was very small with a very large bathroom, it was very clean and nicely decorated, the bed was really comfortable and huge !! We felt at £190 for one night including breakfast was very expensive. We would love to return to the hotel but the cost would put us off I'm afraid. Its very well positioned for a selection of lovely restaurants down by the river and for cabot circus shopping centre. We ate in the restaurant that night and it was nice but we had a better lunch in town the following day ! We had a fantastic but expensive trip to Bristol !

• Stayed: June 2011, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 13 June 2011

This is a gem of a hotel... centrally located, although very little on its actual doorstep.... I have stayed twice.... the first time was upgraded to a loft suite.... amazing room. Second time I booked teh same I loved the rookm so much. Attentive staff, lovely ambience and great food to combine the only stop in town if you need to stay over in Bristol. highly recommend.

• Stayed: September 2010, travelled as a couple
1  Thank OrangeThoughts
Reviewed 10 June 2011

Took my mum here for her birthday, and we were going to the Bristol Food and Wine fair. I love the HDV restaurants but this was my first time staying in a hotel. The room was gorgeous - really classy furnishings and the signature roll top bath. The monsoon shower was impressive. Only complaint is the room was very dark, the lights weren't bright enough and the windows were quite small so you couldn't get enough light in the morning. Staff were lovely though and the food was amazing in the bistro.

• Stayed: July 2010
Reviewed 7 June 2011

Loved the hotel & staff.
Fantastic beds, big rooms, lots of extras in room, luxurious toiletries, towels, bedding, "snack box". Shower to die for! Worth every penny for all the little extras and fab service.

• Stayed: August 2010, travelled with family
Reviewed 28 May 2011

3rd stay for business.

Excellent rooms with huge beds and bathroom. The bath is lovely and so is the monsoon shower.

King size bed, comfortable pillows.

Check in is efficient and friendly.

Right in the centre of Bristol would be excellent for sightseeing.

Breakfast is one of the best in a small hotel.

Restaurant experience was generally good with nice wine and tasty food. Only letdown was a small amount of the wait staff were indifferent and can be slow. Looking at the review it seems others had the same problem.

Also be aware there are minimal parking space outside hotel and is somewhat difficult to find. There are NCP nearby.

However, if you are looking for a beautiful boutique hotel to explore Bristol you wouldn't go too far wrong.

• Stayed: May 2011, travelled on business
1  Thank o-self
Reviewed 24 May 2011

I stayed for anight in this hotel. In the morning, when I was using the lift to return to my room, after breakfast, there was a power failure. I was trapped in the lift. I was surprised that there was no emergency lights in the lift, nor was the alarm working. I banged on the lift door to attract attention to my plight, but there was no response. Luckily I hada weak signal on my mobile, and I called the hotel reception and told them that I am stuck in the lift, without an emergency light or an alarm. It took them 30 minutes to get me out of the lift.

I wonder how their lift has passed the Health and Safety checks. Despite my plight, the hotel staff were least considerate of what I have been through! Ugh!

I would NEVER EVER like to be in a similar situation, and would never stay there again!

• Stayed: May 2011, travelled on business
5  Thank Dmohan
HdVBristol, Manager at Hotel du Vin & Bistro, responded to this reviewResponded 30 May 2011

Good Afternoon,

In response to your review, it was a very unfortunate experience last Tuesday when almost the whole of Bristol city centre lost all electrical power. The fact that you were in the lift at the exact time of the power cut was even more unfortunate for you. The Hotel's Maintenance Manager did everything he could to get you out as quickly and safely as we could. As a company we have very stick health and safety guidelines to adhere to, one of them being that our lift passes all safety checks and this particular lift's certificate is valid for another 4 months.

We are sorry for the experience you had with us and the loss of power you experienced, if you would like to discuss it further please contact the hotel directly.

Kind Regards