Hotel du Vin & Bistro
Like saving money? We search up to 200 sites for the lowest prices
  • Breakfast included
1,346 results
All reviewsroll top bathmonsoon showersugar houseveuve clicquotfree standing bathloft suitewalk in showerhuge showerlovely hotelstandard roomlimited parkingsunday nightbirthday treateggs benedictcoffee machinemini barlarge room
FilterAll languages
Reviewed 25 November 2012

I use this hotel for entertaining customers and staff. The hotel is beautifully decorated, fabulous bar and restaurant (Bistro) and lovely rooms. Service is great and the hotel just has a great feel to it. my only gripe about this hotel (and is pet hate of mine) is there is very limited parking immediately next to the hotel. I think the hotel has 8 spaces, which frankly you have no chance of securing, then there are a few more NCP spaces. Also unless you know exactly where the hotel is, very easy to drive past it, and then it takes you 20 mins to drive around the one way system again. Signs up in advance please Hotel Du Vin. All that said, I really do like this hotel and will be using it a lot for business and pleasure again

• Stayed: November 2012, travelled on business
1  Thank James4298
Reviewed 25 November 2012

We stayed at Hotel Du Vin in Bristol as a birthday treat. The room was one of the loft suites - Pol Roger.
Upon arrival the reception was a little underwhelming but the welcome was warm and luckily our room was ready early.
The suite was stunning, a huge bed and some stairs to a mezzanine level and the bathroom. Fantastic roll top bath with walk in shower and all of the usual little luxuries you find in these fabulous hotels.
We had dinner in the restaurant and the food was fantastic. Very attentive staff who were exceptionally professional even though a rude customer on the next table complained about pretty much everything. We concluded that he was trying to avoid his bill as we could find no fault at all.
Had a very comfy night but woken to the windows being cleaned, thank goodness we had closed the curtains!
Check out was problematic as a bride and groom were trying to settle their bill and even though three receptionists at the desk, it still took us the best part of 20 minutes to be able to leave. Minor complaint though as all in all we were happy with our stay.
You may see a theme with us reviewing this chain of hotels, there is a reason for that, we love staying in them and try to plan our adventures around the hotels. It always feels like we have had a treat. Already preparing for our next treat!

2  Thank SusieandChris
Reviewed 20 November 2012

Came here as a couple for one night mid-November. No car so no parking difficulty. Polite efficient reception. Like the last contributor, the insistence on £50 on your card beyond the room and food price, jarred. To be fair the booze with supper absorbed a good deal of this, but isn't the credit card number enough to allay any fear of making off without payment? Our room (Taittinger) was second floor, passable street view, big room, very well equipped, plenty of seating, tables etc and the biggest bathroom (with large walk in shower) that we have yet had in a hotel. Moderate drone from air conditioning and some heavy footfalls from above after 7.30 am. All round very comfortable and pleasant. Better than anywhere else we have yet stayed in Bristol. We're not local so can't talk about the general feel of the place, nor have we been to any other the other dozen or
so other hotels in the chain, so can't comment on how this one compares. As reviewed elsewhere the bistro was very enjoyable for supper. Although every time we passed through reception it was evident that the hotel is used for many business meetings and has a high proportion of business customers, the general feel is very laid back and relaxed. Would probably stay here again.

2  Thank Jannerbloke
Reviewed 19 November 2012

I wanted to treat my husband to a night away to celebrate his 40th Birthday and our friends who have stayed at Bristol Hotel Du Vin, couldn't recommend it highly enough so I decided to book. After our first stay we are equally smitten. We were greeted by a very helpful and friendly receptionist who gave us directions to our suite, the Veuve Clicquot. The suite was situated on the third floor and was fantastic. There was a a mezzanine which held twin roll top baths and a huge Monsoon Shower. The bedroom itself had a huge bed, with a flat screen TV, safe, ironing and tea making facilities, and mini bar. Off the bedroom was a small seating area which contained an even bigger flat screen TV and coffee making facilities. I ordered champagne prior to our visit and within minutes of our arrival a waiter brought to our room. We had booked into the Bistro for dinner and again the staff were very friendly. We were seated and provided with menus. A few minutes later a sommelier came and took our drinks order and provided recommendations for wine. My husband and I opted for the tomato and basil and onion soup to start, both which were excellent. Our sommelier was always there to top up our glasses but was never intrusive. We both chose the fillet for our main which were cooked to perfection. We didn't have dessert as we were both full but the choices looked wonderful. Instead we opted for coffee. At all times the waiters and waitresses were very attentive and the service spot on. We then withdrew to the bar and again the waiting staff were very attentive. We had an excellent nights sleep, as the bed was very comfy. Although the Hotel is very near a busy road we were not disturbed by traffic. Breakfast, again in the Bistro, was superb and the service excellent. If I had to be critical, the only thing I would say was a slight negative would be the air conditioning in the room. Even with it turned on and a stand up fan also being used the room was very warm. However we quickly realised that by turning the radiators off the room acquired a more satisfactory temperature. We had a wonderful stay at Hotel Du Vin Bristol and are already looking for excuses to stay again.

Stayed: November 2012, travelled as a couple
1  Thank 3008robs
Reviewed 16 November 2012

My wife and I stayed at this hotel for one night while attending a weekend function in Bristol. The hotel was perfectly decent and I would recommend it to anyone looking for a pleasant place to stay in Bristol.

Booking: I booked the hotel through its website and, as is usual, provided a card number by way of security.

There is no proper parking outside the hotel. I left my motor on the double yellows by the door and didn't receive a ticket and, presumably had I done so it would have been little costlier than paying to park overnight in the local NCP.

Check in: on checking in I was asked to pay up front for the room plus an additional £50. I find this pretty insulting, especially from an hotel which purports to have a personal touch and seeks to distinguish itself from the usual chain offer. Don't they trust me? And if not, why should I trust them to repay to me my £50 upon departure? I do not really wish to stay in a hotel which admits guests whom the management does not trust. Besides, the hotel already had my particulars from the internet booking. When I questioned this, I was told not to worry, it was just hotel policy. I am not a moron: why is it hotel policy not to trust the guest but rather immediately upon meeting him to insult his credit? I was a bit mean to the receptionist about this: not her fault, I suppose, but the hotel should not put her in this position.

So she takes us up to the room. "Is the room ok for you", she asks, before I have stepped over the threshold. How on earth should I know? I have not even set foot in it. This is idiocy born of slavish adherence to policies rather than genuine hospitality. And what of the supposedly "superior room"? Well, it is immediately above the dining room and facing a main road, the noise from which roared through the inadequate double glazing.

We moved to a much more agreeable garret room on the third floor, a room which though inferior by the hotel's measure, was better in every respect. A better size (smaller), a better feel (lovely attic feeling), a better aspect (over an internal courtyard and rooftops), and less noise. The rooms are decorated in an "original" style, which means crushingly unoriginal, but they are not unpleasant. Very, very good bathroom, one of the best I've enjoyed, nice double-ended bath and big shower.

We dined elsewhere.

We slept well albeit after an uncertain start. Upon returning to our room at 11.30pm, there was the thud, thud, thud of pop music from a wedding being held in the hotel. Thankfully it stopped by midnight. Had we returned at 10.30pm, I would have been mightily peeved, but we didn't and I wasn't.

The decor throughout is themed around wine. The rooms are named after famous wine makers. The pictures on the walls are adverts for wine, bottle labels, pictures of vineyards and that sort of stuff. "Hotel du Vin", I know. It is taken too far. It goes beyond a joke. It is tired and hackneyed and there is also something unsavoury about the obsession with alcohol.

Breakfast was superb. I don't know where they get their bread from (I enquired as to whether it was baked in house: how stupid of me, of course it isn't, it comes in a lorry and is warmed up), but it was brilliant. And despite the orgy of wine memorabilia (some of which was rather interesting), the dining room was an extremely pleasant place to be (although I am glad I did not have to sleep above it) with nice furniture.

So this wasn't a bad stay. But don't kid yourself, it is a chain hotel and it suffers the deficiencies of a chain hotel grievously. I do not think there is anywhere better in Bristol, however.

Room Tip: Avoid rooms overlooking the road, do ask about weddings and parties.