“Beautiful afternoon tea!”

Hotel du Vin & Bistro
Ranked #4 of 39 Hotels in Bristol
GreenLeadersGold level
Reviewed 20 March 2013

Went to Hotel du Vin, Bristol last week with my Mum for an afternoon tea, and we weren't disappointed! We had a choice of teas, a lovely selection of fresh sandwiches, fruit tarts, warm chocolate brownies (to die for!!) and fresh, warm scones with clotted cream and jam. Wow! Waiting staff were great, very attentive but not too over bearing, as they can often be in high end places. We were left to our own devices and were able to enjoy our surroundings as well as the food. As with all HdV's, this one is a unique property, architecturally quirky and a lovely place to relax, with nice artwork on the walls and funky planters throughout. The bar was very well stocked, which is always good, and the music ambient. I would definetely recommend the bistro for food, drinks and a high tea. Only small criticism would be that in the lounge area, i.e. not formal dining, the proportions of the comfy leather chairs to tables seem slightly wrong! I would prefer to be eating off tables rather than wooden trunks, but hey it adds to the quirky vibe, I guess!

• Stayed: March 2013, travelled with friends
2  Thank dollathy

Reviewed 16 March 2013

We stumbled across this place during a little afternoon internet surfing, whilst looking for somewhere a little different to stay to break up the journey from Cornwall to Norfolk. We stayed here on a Sunday night, which meant we could take advantage of their Sunday stopover offer "Spend £75 in the restaurant bar and the room only costs £25" Spending £75 on our dinner was easy peasy! The menu was tempting and the food fabulous. The dining room was busy enough to have atmosphere, but not packed out, as I suspect a Friday of Saturday might have seen it. The Wine menu is extensive, the cocktail menu a brilliant blend of classics and and a couple of new ones with a twist. As for the service - I cannot fault it - spot on.
We stayed in the Laphroaig Room, which is a standard double(king) room. The room was very comfortable, and my partner was very impressed by the posh coffee machine, It is the Bathroom that will tempt me into returning to this hotel (or others in the small chain) though. A deliciour claw footed roll top bath, long and deep, a shower in which you take 5 full paces from one end to the other, with a monsoon shower head in the middle that will drench you in a millisecond. I have to admit to spending a lot of time under water in this hotel!
Bad points - these are probably minor, but personally i would prefer the double doors to the bathroom did not have an element of clear glass to them - i don't like anyone seeing me on the loo!! and one hot choc pouch between two seemed stingy on the tea tray, as did no complementary biscuit!

• Stayed: March 2013, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 16 March 2013 via mobile

I had been to Bristol a few times before but it was the first time staying at the Hotel du Vin, downtown. Having heard a lot about it before, I haven't been disappointed. The rooms were nice and spacious, well equipped and individually decorated. The bathroom was exceptional: spaces with a free standing bath and a rainfall shower. The staff was nice and very helpful. The bar is very cosy and offers a good choice of drinks and both dinner and breakfast were very good. Definitively worth a visit.

• Stayed: March 2013
Reviewed 15 March 2013

A little hidden gem. Excellent location. Unpretentious and atomospheric. Stayed in a "champagne" room which was spacious and extremely comfortable. The mezzanine bathroom was spectacular and impossible to resist having a big, bubble filled bath. Staff were helpful and polite. We ate in the bistro which had a really buzzy atmosphere and good quality food. A choice of teas, real coffee making facilities and fresh milk in the bedroom greatly appreciated after a long day. A good wholesome breakfast too. A thoroughly enjoyable experience.

Room Tip: The champagne rooms are a truly luxurious experience.
  • Stayed: February 2013, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 15 March 2013

Very nice old building (used to be a sugar factory) that has been converted into a Hotel. Lovely entrance and Courtyard area, traditional bar area and pleasant restaurant.

We stayed in one of the suites in the "loft area" which had it's own Terrace. It was a very large room which was well equipped, with an equally large bathroom. But the room was very dark (ok, it's an old building) but with very little lighting which made getting ready for the evening a little difficult. Bed and bedding were comfortable and clean.

The Hotel has all of the constraints of a conversion, with long walks to rooms, twists and turns, and a couple of tiny lifts. I'm sure that the Hotel do all they can to cater for people with disabilities but this is not the easiest place to get around if this is a consideration for you or your family.

There was a wedding going on when we were there and I suspect that this is popular venue for this type of event. There parties tend to "take over" when they're on so worth checking if you are looking for a peaceful evening in the Hotel.

Service throughout was excellent. Our evening meal was pretty good, not outstanding though. A knowledgeable sommelier and pleasant staff in the restaurant (though we were somewhat forgotten about at the end of the meal - why does this happen so often even in good restaurants?)

A good location near the city centre but parking is very limited. There is a grotty NCP across the road - not somewhere I would want to leave my car. Worth arriving early to nab a space in front of the hotel if you can.

So all in all a pleasant stay, and a Hotel we would recommend to a point - in our opinion it is expensive for what it is so if you get a good deal you not be disappointed.

Room Tip: Web site is not very clear about the rooms, which are probably of variable size. Ask questions abou...
  • Stayed: February 2013, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 15 March 2013

Great location in the heart of the city. Lovely room in the attic, cosy, quiet, very comfortable and attractive. Amazing bathroom nearly same size as bedroom. All facilities and furnishings best quality and decor was in good order. Very warm , if a tad too warm so needed to open windows which gave a charming view out over the hotel courtyard. Staff were very friendly and sorted an issue whereby booking.com had booked me into two rooms. Breakfast was good and I had continental with fresh coffee etc. Bar/ bistro food was also excellent. A great place to stay. Parking is limited outside the hotel but city car park in a 5 minute walk was good and secure overnight.

• Stayed: February 2013, travelled solo
Reviewed 10 March 2013

I booked a room here for my birthday but had to cancel due to my daughter being unwell. When I rebooked it as agreed I found that we had been ungrade to the best suite in the hotel and we even had champagne bought to our room. The room was amazing and I had the loveliest and longest bath ever ! (with champagne in hand !) We had dinner in the bistro and it was was again really good, not amazing but I dont think it professes to be amazing but really nice steak and chips at a reasonable rate. I also got a birthday pudding ! The hotel and the staff could not have done more to make my belated birthday as lovely as possible ! I am a very very greatful customer

Room Tip: If you can afford it the suite is amazing
  • Stayed: January 2013, travelled as a couple