“Second stay and looking forward to our third!” 5 of 5 bubbles

Hotel du Vin & Bistro
Ranked #6 of 37 Hotels in Bristol
GreenLeadersGold level
Cheltenham
“Second stay and looking forward to our third!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 21 November 2013

We originally stayed here back in August and enjoyed it so much we decided to spend my husbands 40th here in October.

This time we stayed in a Loft Suite which came with its own private roof terrace and was just perfect....massive comfortable bed, huge bathroom with lovely smelling toiletries just a shame the rain kept coming down so we couldn't make use of the outside space.

I had called the hotel prior to our stay to arrange for some balloons and fizz to be in the room when we arrived. Nothing was too much trouble and made a lovely surprise for my husband as we entered the room.

Breakfast was delicious as usual with us both opting for the continental (included in the room rate)

The staff at this hotel are so helpful and polite and do all they can to make your stay enjoyable. They have already recommended a room for our next stay! I love Bristol and the Hotel Du Vin is just perfectly placed for everything. We even managed to figure out which bus to catch to take us to the train station this time.

Cannot wait to come back!

• Stayed October 2013, travelled as a couple
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
Lorraine1966, General Manager at Hotel du Vin & Bistro, responded to this review, 6 December 2013
Thank you so much for taking the time to write such a great review. We look forward to welcoming you both back to Hotel du Vin in the near future.

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (197)
Barnstaple, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 17 November 2013

I'd heard about Hotel du Vin from several trusted sources and thought I should try it, so went with an open mind. To start, it's not cheap, August midweeks are a cheaper time to stay in Bristol generally and the room was about £150 including breakfast. I then received an email offering an upgrade at a reduced price to a suite; they don't guarantee you get the upgrade until you arrive though but if they've got it available then you have to have it - that's the deal and seems quite reasonable to me. In all was about £200 per night.

On first glance, £200 for a night in Bristol in a 4-star is on the very high end of pricey. But I genuinely believe that the 4-star official rating should be ignored... absolutely nothing about this hotel and the experience is 4-star... it is a sure in for a 5-star and better than any 5-star I have stayed in!

Parking was close by in the NCP and the hotel a short walk. There was a Grommit statue greeting in the courtyard and then the main reception had a fabulous welcome. The receptionist showed me where the bar and restaurant was and then took me to my room. The public spaces are certainly quirky and old worldy, but I really like that. The lift is hidden behind a big wooden warehouse style door and every room has its own name.

The room itself was amazing, very large and a genuine suite (rather than some hotels who put two tub chairs in and call it a suite). It was marketed as a Mezzanine Loft Suite and the ground floor had a low-level king size bed, huge wardrobes, fridge and lots on the hospitality tray. There was also a large separate room with wc and washbasin on this level. There was a curved staircase leading to the upper level with a big shower, another big wash basin and a roll top bath near the railings. The whole space above the bedroom area was open and double height so the room felt massive.

The choice at breakfast was bewildering and could have chosen anything on it. But I opted for baked eggs as I'd never had them before and fancied something I could not find on hotel breakfast menus. The breakfast was amazing!

On check-out the receptionist informed me that I'd get a discount at the NCP if she validated my car parking ticket. At that point I realised I'd misplaced it, very out of character for me. She looked after my luggage whilst she suggested I check my room and when I could not find it, she called the NCP for me on my way back and when I used the help button at the paystation they already knew all about it an applied the discount. The receptionist then phoned me to check I'd got back to my car ok. Talk about above and beyond, this is not 4-star nor 5-star service... this is a level of quality we're simply not used to in this country unfortunately.

So overall, fantastic stay, would definitely go again, would recommend to anyone!

• Stayed August 2013, travelled solo
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
Lorraine1966, General Manager at Hotel du Vin & Bistro, responded to this review, 21 November 2013
Thank you so much for taking the time to write such fantastic feedback on your recent stay with us. I am delighted you enjoyed it and were so well looked after. I hope we can welcome you back to Hotel du Vin in the near future.
eastbourne
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 14 November 2013

we had been there for a sunday lunch...fantastic food ..this was back in the summer...saw a leaflet for a champagne tasting and meal in November...we booked in for the night and was not disappointed.....meal was fabulous with a different champagne with every course..staff very helpful...and the room was stunning...the biggest shower I have seen...

Room Tip: we overlooked the road but it was no problem as the double glazing did the trick
  • Stayed November 2013, travelled with friends
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
Thank you so much for taking the time to write such lovely feedback on our recent champagne dinner and your stay with us. I am delighted that you enjoyed it and hope we will see you again at some of our future events.
Bristol
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 12 November 2013

We stayed here to celebrate our wedding anniversary at the end of Sept, It is where we first met way back in 1976 when the building was then a electrical wholesalers. We were ungraded to a suite and my word, what a room, I think the whole room was bigger than our little terrace house, the bed was soooo big, we nearly lost each other. All the staff were really friendly, and quite fascinated by our reminiscing of the old building, much of which we could still recognize. The food in the restaurant was really lovely, and again staff really very attentive. It seems really strange staying in a hotel in our home city, but I would really love to return perhaps on our next big anniversary.

• Stayed September 2013, travelled as a couple
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
Lorraine1966, General Manager at Hotel du Vin & Bistro, responded to this review, 13 November 2013
Thank you so much for taking the time to post such lovely feedback. We are really pleased you enjoyed your stay and I hope we will see you again for your next anniversary.
Guernsey, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 11 November 2013

We enjoyed a wonderful Friday-night stay here. The restored/converted hotel building is atmospheric and a real pleasure to walk around. It starts before you even reach reception, as to enter you must pass through a stone arch and a pretty courtyard.

The service on reception (and from the hotel staff throughout our stay) was excellent and very well judged. This is clearly a hotel that knows its customer base and what they want. There is no over-the-top formality - just polite, prompt and friendly service from presentable staff. One nice girl on reception was happy to recommend a restaurant in town for lunch, for example, which turned out to be excellent, and our room-service drinks were provided quickly.

Our standard room was what we would have expected of an upgrade! Tasteful interior design, luxirous bathroom (with stand-alone bath and long walk-in shower area) and large, comfy wooden bed. It was a pleasure to stay in.

The building itself is lovely and carries the same dark-wood and leather feel of its Brighton sister hotel. The bar was busy with people having drinks before their dinner, but also seemed to have groups there who were neither eating or sleeping at the hotel. Despite being a 'hotel bar' I, too, would happily come here on a Friday or Saturday night with friends.

I have yet to be disappointed by this excellent group of hotels.

• Stayed November 2013, travelled as a couple
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
Thank you so much for taking the time to give such lovely feedback. We are pleased you enjoyed your stay and we hope we can welcome you back to Hotel du Vin soon.
London, United Kingdom
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 7 November 2013

We all had such a splendid time celebrating friend's mum's 89th birthday at Brighton's Hotel du Vin, we were treated to her 90th this year at the Bristol branch. Not quite as higgledy piggledy as the Brighton one, but another atmospheric conversion - this time a sugar factory. The lift is in the sugar chute, and accommodation meanders round a courtyard. The signature giant baths and walk through showers are nearly worth going for on their own. My friend did have curdled milk in her fridge, we experienced mild delay in service for breakfast one morning, and the 90 year old was bamboozled by the bill payment but otherwise a brilliant weekend. Emphasis of the bistro offerings was on freshness and deliciousness, I'd say, more than creativity. Love the breakfast selections - home made muesli, and buckets of fresh orange juice, unusual bread, variations on the eggs benedict theme... who needs lunch?. The wine list and bar offerings way too tempting. And Bristol had more than enough to keep us busy - theatre, ferries, museums, and more than its share of impressive engineering.

Room Tip: All individually styled; triple glazing on the front, so no noise; maybe avoid the wedding/party sui...
  • Stayed October 2013, travelled with friends
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
    • 4 of 5 bubbles
Thank you so much for taking the time to give feedback on your recent stay with us. All comments are greatly appreciated as it allows us to do better next time, so thank you for your time and we hope we can welcome you back to Hotel du Vin in the near future.
London
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 5 November 2013

I stayed here on business.
The hotel is welcoming, warm, beautifully designed with a pleasing mix of old and new design. Rooms are spacious, spotless clean and with all additions you may dream of including a little coffee machine.
Bathroom is wonderful with freestanding bath and walk in shower.
Bar and restaurant serve delicious food.

I am calling this hotel almost flawless because I loved it overall. However, the service was superb at times and a touch distracted at other times.

• Stayed November 2013, travelled on business
    • 4 of 5 bubbles
Lorraine1966, General Manager at Hotel du Vin & Bistro, responded to this review, 6 November 2013
Thank you for such lovely feedback and we promise to make sure the service standards are all flawless for your next visit. I hope we can welcome you back soon.