“Bristol Fashion”

GreenLeadersGold level
Bath, United Kingdom
“Bristol Fashion”
Reviewed 5 December 2013

I stayed in the hotel twice in a week, once in a normal room and once in a suite (no rooms available). The former was excellent thus my return but the suite less impressive and poorer value.

The staff are helpful and the decor atmospheric, the bistro excellent if a little pricy.

It is handy for the City Centre and a good base to see Bristol.

I would recommend it but not the suites unless they are updated in condition to match the extra price.

Room Tip: Go for a double room in the front of house.
  • Stayed November 2013, travelled on business
Lorraine1966, General Manager at Hotel du Vin & Bistro, responded to this review, 6 December 2013
Thank you so much for taking the time to write a review of our hotel. I am only sorry you found our suites disappointing. Let us know the next time you are staying and we will try to get you a superior room, which is very similar to our standard, but larger. I hope we can welcome you back in the near future.

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (202)
Bishops Stortford, United Kingdom
Reviewed 3 December 2013

This was our second stay at HDV Bristol and it won't be our last. The staff were all even more friendly and efficient than I remember without being overbearing, that includes the waiting staff who were also excellent.
We had a superior room which was both spacious and comfortable, yes you pay a little extra but it was really worth it. The bathroom was lovely with all the bits and pieces that you need whilst away and fresh milk in the fridge is always a bonus.
The bar area is warm and inviting and again great service - no noisy corporate events, just ordinary people enjoying their evening. The food and wine in The Bistro was very good - not cheap but an interesting, varied menu which was quite delicious.
I would recommend this hotel to anyone looking for something a bit more interesting than the norm.

• Stayed December 2013, travelled as a couple
Thank you so much for writing such a lovely review. I am delighted you enjoyed your stay at Hotel du Vin and I hope we can welcome you back in the near future.
London
Reviewed 29 November 2013

It was fairly expensive but a nice enough place with wacky rooms named after wines rather than numbered. That is okay but it means you have to remember the route to your room rather than apply logic. There are empty wine bottles scattered and displayed everywhere.

Breakfast was very good but nothing made you feel like booking in the restaurant in the evening. The whole place lacked any real appeal.

Overall it was perfectly okay but neither luxurious, nor special - yet very much thought that it was. Stacking empty wine bottles on every available space does not create atmosphere. It looked like a student flat the morning after a party.

Would not go again because there are much better places to stay.

• Stayed April 2013, travelled with friends
Thank you for taking the time to review our hotel, I am only sorry that it was not to your taste. I hope however taht you were well looked after by our team while you were here.
Cardiff, United Kingdom
Reviewed 24 November 2013

I looked at various hotels for a night away with my wife and when I saw the suites on offer at Hotel Du Vin I decided to travel a little further afield than originally planned.

I was looking for a bit of wow factor and it did not disappoint. The Veuve Clicquot suite is easily the best room I have ever stayed in and is so much more impressive in person than in the already impressive photos. So much space, so well equipped, so tastefully decorated.

The bed was also incredibly comfortable. In fact, we slept so well we had to request a later check out, which was kindly agreed. The staff were very attentive and helpful on reception and in the Bistro.

Definitely got what we paid for on this occasion and we plan to return.

Room Tip: Our room was Chapel side and we didn't hear a sound from outside.
  • Stayed November 2013, travelled as a couple
Thank you so much for taking the time to post such a great reveiw. I am delighted that you enjoyed your stay in Veuve Cliquot and I hope we can welcome you back to Hotel du Vin soon.
Cheltenham
Reviewed 21 November 2013

We originally stayed here back in August and enjoyed it so much we decided to spend my husbands 40th here in October.

This time we stayed in a Loft Suite which came with its own private roof terrace and was just perfect....massive comfortable bed, huge bathroom with lovely smelling toiletries just a shame the rain kept coming down so we couldn't make use of the outside space.

I had called the hotel prior to our stay to arrange for some balloons and fizz to be in the room when we arrived. Nothing was too much trouble and made a lovely surprise for my husband as we entered the room.

Breakfast was delicious as usual with us both opting for the continental (included in the room rate)

The staff at this hotel are so helpful and polite and do all they can to make your stay enjoyable. They have already recommended a room for our next stay! I love Bristol and the Hotel Du Vin is just perfectly placed for everything. We even managed to figure out which bus to catch to take us to the train station this time.

Cannot wait to come back!

• Stayed October 2013, travelled as a couple
Thank you so much for taking the time to write such a great review. We look forward to welcoming you both back to Hotel du Vin in the near future.
Barnstaple, United Kingdom
Reviewed 17 November 2013

I'd heard about Hotel du Vin from several trusted sources and thought I should try it, so went with an open mind. To start, it's not cheap, August midweeks are a cheaper time to stay in Bristol generally and the room was about £150 including breakfast. I then received an email offering an upgrade at a reduced price to a suite; they don't guarantee you get the upgrade until you arrive though but if they've got it available then you have to have it - that's the deal and seems quite reasonable to me. In all was about £200 per night.

On first glance, £200 for a night in Bristol in a 4-star is on the very high end of pricey. But I genuinely believe that the 4-star official rating should be ignored... absolutely nothing about this hotel and the experience is 4-star... it is a sure in for a 5-star and better than any 5-star I have stayed in!

Parking was close by in the NCP and the hotel a short walk. There was a Grommit statue greeting in the courtyard and then the main reception had a fabulous welcome. The receptionist showed me where the bar and restaurant was and then took me to my room. The public spaces are certainly quirky and old worldy, but I really like that. The lift is hidden behind a big wooden warehouse style door and every room has its own name.

The room itself was amazing, very large and a genuine suite (rather than some hotels who put two tub chairs in and call it a suite). It was marketed as a Mezzanine Loft Suite and the ground floor had a low-level king size bed, huge wardrobes, fridge and lots on the hospitality tray. There was also a large separate room with wc and washbasin on this level. There was a curved staircase leading to the upper level with a big shower, another big wash basin and a roll top bath near the railings. The whole space above the bedroom area was open and double height so the room felt massive.

The choice at breakfast was bewildering and could have chosen anything on it. But I opted for baked eggs as I'd never had them before and fancied something I could not find on hotel breakfast menus. The breakfast was amazing!

On check-out the receptionist informed me that I'd get a discount at the NCP if she validated my car parking ticket. At that point I realised I'd misplaced it, very out of character for me. She looked after my luggage whilst she suggested I check my room and when I could not find it, she called the NCP for me on my way back and when I used the help button at the paystation they already knew all about it an applied the discount. The receptionist then phoned me to check I'd got back to my car ok. Talk about above and beyond, this is not 4-star nor 5-star service... this is a level of quality we're simply not used to in this country unfortunately.

So overall, fantastic stay, would definitely go again, would recommend to anyone!

• Stayed August 2013, travelled solo
Lorraine1966, General Manager at Hotel du Vin & Bistro, responded to this review, 21 November 2013
Thank you so much for taking the time to write such fantastic feedback on your recent stay with us. I am delighted you enjoyed it and were so well looked after. I hope we can welcome you back to Hotel du Vin in the near future.
eastbourne
Reviewed 14 November 2013

we had been there for a sunday lunch...fantastic food ..this was back in the summer...saw a leaflet for a champagne tasting and meal in November...we booked in for the night and was not disappointed.....meal was fabulous with a different champagne with every course..staff very helpful...and the room was stunning...the biggest shower I have seen...

Room Tip: we overlooked the road but it was no problem as the double glazing did the trick
  • Stayed November 2013, travelled with friends
Thank you so much for taking the time to write such lovely feedback on our recent champagne dinner and your stay with us. I am delighted that you enjoyed it and hope we will see you again at some of our future events.