“A generally disappointing experience”

Hotel du Vin & Bistro
Ranked #6 of 37 Hotels in Bristol
GreenLeadersGold level
Poulton-Le-Fylde
“A generally disappointing experience”
Reviewed 13 January 2014

Having stayed and eaten at various Hotels du Vin since their inception, I feel well placed to comment on our latest stay just prior to Christmas. I wish to reserve my more scathing comments for the poor service in the restaurant. Here they have staff who appear almost wilful in their determination not to listen to you and as a result your meal proceeds with less than satisfactory smoothness. We are not a demanding couple but expect that simple requests are adhered to especially when explained clearly. During some of our over long waits between courses or interludes when they were attempting to put a wrong right we became fascinated at what attracted one particular and I think senior member of staff to the restaurant reception computer terminal. He spent an inordinate amount of time there until at last I twigged that his mobile phone was down the side of the computer and messages were being received and sent discreetly but at the cost of service to the clients. A complaint about various mishaps to the female manager at the time received an apology but no more.
The hotel side maintains reasonable rooms but while once they were unusual, avant garde even, today they have lost their cutting edge as many in the industry have caught up and are offering similar but fresher accommodation. I cannot help but feel that Robin Hutson and Gerard Bassett, the original founders of Hotel du Vin would be disappointed at this particular outpost. More effort needed, perhaps by different staff!

Room Tip: Go for a standard as the price is more likely to reflect the room offering.
  • Stayed December 2013, travelled as a couple
Lorraine J, General Manager at Hotel du Vin & Bistro, responded to this review, 16 January 2014
Thank you so much for taking the time to give feedback on your recent stay with us. I was very disappointed to read your comments as this is certainly not the high standard of service that we pride ourselves on. I would like to assure you that the points you have raised will be dealt with by myself and our senior bistro team as using mobile phones at work is certainly not acceptable and I would like to thank you for bringing this to my attention.

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (200)
Braunton, United Kingdom
Reviewed 7 January 2014

We had a one night stay in this lovely old hotel, formerly a sugar mill. The location is good for touring the city centre, but they only have space for 6 or 7 cars, otherwise you have to park in a nearby multistorey carpark. The hotel is very old world and it is easy to lose your way in the corridors. We had a lovely bedroom, quite large with a beautiful bathroom - walk through shower and free standing bath, though the semi-transparent bathroom doors are a bit of a surprise. The breakfast is excellent, plenty of choice from a continental to full English. We ate in the Bistro and had a good meal, though there was not a lot of choice. The staff are very friendly and helpful.

Room Tip: Ask for a quiet room,away from the entrance
  • Stayed January 2014, travelled as a couple
Thank you so much for taking the time to give such positive feedback on our hotel and the staff. We are delighted you enjoyed your stay and we hope we can welcome you back soon.
London
Reviewed 7 January 2014

I Stayed here for a weekend. The room was very large and well appointed. Bed was comfortable, the bathroom was also huge and had a great shower with some good pressure. Lovely cosy bar to hang out in on a cold winters day. The staff were helpful and overall service was a high standard.
Parking was limited but I managed to find a spot just outside the hotel which was lucky otherwise I would have had to park in the multistory a few minutes away.
I enjoyed the stay and would return if visiting bristol again.

• Stayed December 2013, travelled as a couple
Thank you so much for taking the time to give us such nice feedback. I am delighted you enjoyed your stay and I hope we can welcome you back to Hotel du Vin in the near future.
Shrewsbury, United Kingdom
Reviewed 4 January 2014

Stayed on New Years Eve. Staff were super, efficient and friendly, despite being rushed off their feet. Room was spotlessly clean and the bathroom just the best. The roll top bath a real experience, fluffy warm towels, blissful. I would have given the full five stars if it weren't for the wardrobe. A question first. Is theft of coat hangers from a luxury hotel a major problem? We arrived very damp and needed to hang our coats to dry, but the hangers had hooks which only work in the wardrobe. Please, for the prices you charge make a couple of proper hangers available. Also, the wardrobe in our room, Meerlust, was that it was in a dark corner with no light, the interior was black which made finding anything difficult. Breakfast service was a bit shambolic, but this was excusable considering the night before. Breakfast was delicicious. To sum up. Overpriced, but worth it.

Room Tip: Take a torch and a coat hanger.
  • Stayed December 2013, travelled as a couple
Lorraine J, General Manager at Hotel du Vin & Bistro, responded to this review, 6 January 2014
Thank you so much for taking the time to review our hotel and we are delighted you had a good New Year with us.
I am pleased to say that we are in the process of putting lighting into some of our wardrobes as this seems to be an ongoing issue in some rooms. Housekeeping do keep lots of spare coathangers, and we would have been more than happy to put some extra "normal" ones in your room had we have been aware. I can only apologise that we were not able to rectify this at the time.
I do hope we can welcome you back to Hotel du Vin in the near future.
London, United Kingdom
Reviewed 3 January 2014 via mobile

My husband & I stayed for 3 nights from 28th Dec to celebrate our anniversary. It was our 4th visit to a Hotel Du Vin & purely chose a mini break in Bristol because of how much we loved the hotel chain.

Arrival
We parked at the NCP only 5 mins walk away (£20 a night but you get a 25% discount from the hotel) but next day we were able to move in to one of the few hotel spaces for free for the rest of our stay which was good & right outside the hotel.

Room
We treated ourselves to a suite, the 2nd from top class of room available. We were given Laroushe & whilst it was very sizeable, amazing walk through shower & roll top bath, the main room itself was disappointing. The bed was futon style & not great for my back & the layout just seemed disjointed somehow & not comparable to their sister hotels. There was a view of a roof from the room too & as stated in other reviews, you could hear people talk in the courtyard (smokers) as there was a wedding on. I visited reception to see if any other rooms were available & there wasn't any free for 2 nights so we stuck with it. The receptionist was v helpful & gave us a complimentary drink to ease my disappointment. On the plus side it had a big TV, coffee machine (no bottled water though) & a sofa.

Breakfast
I loved the breakfast. Freshly squeezed juice, fruit, croissants & the best eggs Benedict (we had breakfast included but in checking out we're charged a £3 supplement pp per day for the cooked element. I'd recommend getting breakfast included on the deal as £16.95 is pricey.

Bistro
We had our anniversary night here & had the chateau briand which was amazing, if I were being fussy I'd prefer to have it served jointly so you then share it but it was dished up seperatly. The vibe was buzzy, it wasn't cheap but worth it.

Bar
The bar area was lovely, comfy (but low) seating. We shared a club sandwich on arrival which was good. Drinks reasonably priced & a good selection available.

Would we return, I guess there's no need. Bristol was an different place to visit but there is nothing there to specifically go back to but we felt looked after & enjoyed the hotel.

Stayed December 2013, travelled as a couple
Thank you for taking the time to give feedback on your recent stay with us. I am delighted that you are a Hotel du Vin fan. You will be pleased to know that we have reviewed our breakfast pricing and the full cooked breakfast is now included in the package price, so there are no more supplements. I would also like to assure you that we will take on board your comments on the room, although sometimes with the placing of plug points etc it is difficult to move things around. We hope we can welcome you back so that you can try out our other suites in the future.
Aquitaine, France
Reviewed 26 December 2013 via mobile

We had 4 nights here over Xmas celebrations with Bristol friends.
Large loft suite on 3rd floor (Dom Perignon), with comfortable large bed, though wooden frame was a hazard in the dark. Good batch of pillows.
Large bathroom with largest shower I have seen in any hotel in 40+ years of travelling. My only downside was little/no double glazing.
Must mention the giant flat screen TV, ipod docker and Nespresso machine in the room.
Parking is a bit hit and miss with only 8 hotel car spots (which can't be booked) and these go quickly.
Staff are excellent in all areas.
Bistro is a bit average, and we found the Xmas eve dinner to be very ordinary for the cost. Despite being the same menu as the HdV in Brighton, the food was not as good. However, the bar is great with a good selection of cocktails and wines.
Hotel is dog friendly (though not in restaurant).

Stayed December 2013, travelled as a couple
Thank you for taking the time to give feedback on your stay with us. I am delighted that you liked your room but very disappointed to hear that our food was not up to standard. I would like to assure you that your feedback will be passed on to our chef and it will be used constructively to improve our service offering.
I hope we can welcome you back to Hotel du Vin in the future.
Bristol
Reviewed 24 December 2013 via mobile

A restaurant that's always reliable. Great food, friendly service, excellent wine with sommelier and nice sophisticated atmosphere. The bar adjoining is great for pre or post drinks with comfy sofas. A number of private dining options are available. The room with a circular table adjacent to the main restaurant is perfect for around 10 to 12 people.

Stayed December 2013, travelled with friends
Thank you for such lovely feedback, we are delighted that we have exceeded your expectations and we hope to see you again soon.