“Lovely hotel...... Nice for a treat”

Hotel du Vin & Bistro
Ranked #6 of 37 Hotels in Bristol
GreenLeadersGold level
Bristol, United Kingdom
“Lovely hotel...... Nice for a treat”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 26 March 2014

Stayed here in the "Harveys Room" for 1 night as part of the Ollie Smith wine tasing event. The hotel is really nice and is upto high spec. Slight limited parking facilities and to get to the rooms you have to walk through the bar and into a small lift but thats just picky really. The Harveys room is wonderful. 50" plasma TV with a balcony (the only one in the hotel) so you can sit outside (although the view of the buildign site across the road is not really the hotels fault). Bathroom with walk in shower is amazing. Only slight thing with the room is that is was very very warm and the air con seemed to make no difference at all. Did mention to the reception on the way out but they did not seem too concerned. The bar facilities are excellent here and the bar staff are so friendly and helpful.

Woudl I stay here again? Well I live in bristol so probably not but for a 1 night treat......... probably

1 Thank gashead81
Lorraine J, General Manager at Hotel du Vin & Bistro, responded to this review, 16 April 2014
Thank you for taking the time to tell us about your recent stay. I am pleased you enjoyed the wine dinner and our bar team looked after you well. Thank you for mentioning the issue with the air conditioning. I will make sure our maintenance team check it out right away. I hope we will see you back for another wine dinner in the future.

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (197)
Ipswich UK
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 22 March 2014

We have stayed in this hotel a number of times in the past, and loved it. The building is great, the staff are helpful and friendly, the rooms comfy and luxurious - if a bit dark and sometimes too hot - and the food in the restaurant is good too. We especially like the provision of the coffee machine in the room. However, although this last visit was the same in every way as the above, a treasured item went missing from my room. It was not the kind of item one would normally think to lock in the safe. My complaint was dealt with by the assistant housekeeping manager, and although she telephoned me twice, as promised, and assured me the room had been searched twice, the item was not found. She denied it could have been taken by any of the staff, which was I suppose what I would have expected her to say. However the fact remains that something I treasured was taken from my room, and I can only assume someone who had access to the room was responsible. We will not therefore be returning to the Hotel du Vin in Bristol.

Room Tip: Rooms overlooking the courtyard have only the view of the very close office opposite, and can be noi...
1 Thank Sumithra
Lorraine J, General Manager at Hotel du Vin & Bistro, responded to this review, 26 March 2014
Thank you for your feedback on your last stay with us. As this is a very serious accusation, I would be most grateful if you could contact me directly. Had I been made aware of the situation at the time, we could have made thorough investigations and involved the police if we thought necessary. I am however happy to say that we have had the same housekeeping team at the hotel for several years and have never had any issues of this nature before. I will be more than happy to look into for you.
UK
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 21 March 2014

This hotel has real charm and the staff are excellent but there are a few negatives. The biggest is the lack of parking and if you arrive on a rain-soaked day then be prepared; there are only eight parking spaces outside and even these are uncovered. If these are full then there is a garage opposite which will cost around £15 overnight but remember to get a 25% discount from the hotel. The rooms are well equipped and the bathroom large. However, the curtains admit too much light so unless you are an early riser you will need eye shades, and doors closed rather too loudly as well. We didn't really get a chance to try the food except at breakfast; the continental selection was very good but the cooked breakfast poor with too much evidence of food kept hot rather than prepared from scratch.

Room Tip: Consider the parking situation.
1 Thank dc0i
Thank you for taking the time to give your very valid feedback of the hotel. I would like to assure you that your comments regarding breakfast will be passed on to our chef, as all of our food should be cooked freshly to order. I can only apologise if this was not the case on this occasion.
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 21 March 2014

First the very slightly negative:
* If you don't like noise in the morning ask to be anywhere other than the front - deliveries from about 6/630am
* Parking - 8 spaces outside the front of the building - but don't confuse them with the pay & display as we did otherwise you'll get a ticket. Although due to the confusion, this was sorted out by the hotel.

Otherwise everything about this hotel is the best ever:

* Lovely building
* Huge rooms (we were in Berringer on the first floor)
* Very comfy
* Bathroom to die for (walk in/wet room), bath definitely a good size
* Everything you could want in there
* Central location - brilliant area - 5 mins from docks, theatres, restaurants etc.
* Breakfast pricey, so we had breakfast in one day out the next (plenty of places around serving breakfast within 1-5 mins walk). The breakfast was very good though - full breakfast plus some healthy cooked options which I was grateful to see. And really gorgeous walnut loaf (if that's what it was?)
* Very relaxing, lovely surroundings, great City

I'll stop raving now.

Room Tip: Not at the front of the building if you don't like noise.
1 Thank goslingl
Thank you for your great review of the hotel, we really appreciate your time and we hope we will see you back in Bristol soon.
Bristol, United Kingdom
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 13 March 2014

My wife booked the Hotel Du Vin for my birthday and we had one of the top rooms, just so lovely, large and the wet room with twin baths was just excellent. My only real complaint was that the room was very hot and despite there being a air conditioning unit in the room it was quite in effective, the two small opening windows didnt help much either. But overall very very good

• Stayed February 2014, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Aceman60
Thank you for your review and I am delighted you had a great Birthday stay with us. PLease be assured we will look into the issue with the air conditioning. Thank you for bringing it to our attention.
Taunton, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 11 March 2014

We had a delicious meal here, it's not a cheap place to eat (but then again we did go for the big ticket items as it was a special birthday treat!) Great atmosphere and very romantic venue. It's located in a slightly out of the way location in the town centre. Nice bar for pre-/post-dinner drinks!

• Stayed December 2013, travelled as a couple
Thank you for taking the time to post such a positive review. I am pleased you enjoyed your birthday meal with us and I hope we can welcome you back soon - have you tried our Sunday Brunch - it is great value for money.
London, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 10 March 2014

It has to be our favourite Hotel du Vin! Wonderful building, good location, lovely staff- really excellent in every respect! The premium rooms are worth the extra money for the space and wow factor. Gorgeous restaurant as well. Really did not want to leave!!! Stayed twice and am certain will end up staying there again.

• Stayed December 2013, travelled as a couple
Thank you so much for such a fantastic review. We are very honoured to be your favourite HdV! I hope we can welcome you back soon so that we can meet such a dedicated fan.