“Beautiful food - a slight sting in the tail. ”

Hotel du Vin & Bistro
Ranked #5 of 39 Hotels in Bristol
GreenLeadersGold level
Reviewed 17 August 2014 via mobile

We came for a treat - a birthday meal for my partner. The scallops starter for both; superb. The bouillabaisse was rich, spicy and subtle. The boeuf bourguignon also balanced and lovely. Service from both waiter and semmillion attentive. We had a lovely meal in fact. Loses stars because we were ambushed with the 20% VAT hike in the final bill which I expect to be included on the menu prices to be honest. I find this irritating and disingenuous in a marketplace where including VAT upfront is the standard. It ruined an otherwise perfect night out.

Stayed: August 2014
4  Thank Pod888
Grant C, General Manager at Hotel du Vin & Bistro, responded to this reviewResponded 22 August 2014

Dear Pod888

Thank you for your review and kinds words, I was pleased to see that you had an enjoyable stay on such a memorable occasion.

I am saddened to read however your comments on your concerns regarding VAT for your meal. VAT is actually included in the price of each of our dishes as well as all beverages in the hotel. You receive a breakdown for VAT on your final receipt for accountancy purposes only.

I hope this goes someway to clarifying the situation but if you wish to discuss this matter with me further please contact me at hotel.

Regards

Reviewed 16 August 2014

My wife and I stayed overnight at this hotel. The hotel and staff were a template of what hotels should be like, everything was perfect. If you have a special occasion, like a wedding anniversary, this would be an ideal place to celebrate. The downside is that it is very expensive and a bit lavish to use just as an ordinary bed and breakfast stop.

1  Thank Freddyminster

Dear Freddyminster

We look forward to welcoming you back again,

Reviewed 14 August 2014

We stayed for 1 night in a standard room and were very surprised by the size and quality of the room and the bathroom, which had a roll top bath and a huge walk-in shower. All the staff were friendly and efficient, making you feel very welcome. The food and wine were, if a little expensive, generally of a good quality. My only complaint was that the bed was very hard - and very creaky! Would certainly stay again though.

Room Tip: We had a courtyard room and although we were warned of possible noise before 11pm it really wasn'...

Dear Kymngra,

Thank you for writing a review on your recent visit here, I was pleased to read that the general consensus of your stay was positive one.

I was disappointed to read that you found your bed hard and I wish to assure you I look into this immediately.

Reviewed 13 August 2014

I stayed here with my boyfriend this summer for our anniversary it was so romantic and lovely! We stayed in a suite it was very big, the bed was very comfy and the bathroom has an impressive walk in shower and free standing bath. Breakfast was lovely too - it was the little touches that made it really nice. Orange juice was freshly squeezed in front of you, they had a wide selection of jams, peanut butter, nutella etc.

The only thing I could say was a negative was that they persisted to charge us £50 in case we were going to eat/drink from the mini bar after we assured them we were not going to. They then also tried to charge me £200 plus for our room even though I had already paid online and had already told them this!

• Stayed: August 2014, travelled as a couple

Thank you for taking the time to post such a positive review. I am delighted you enjoyed your recent stay and I hope we can welcome you back to Bristol Hotel du Vin in the future.

Reviewed 7 August 2014 via mobile

We live in Bath and wanted something special for a night away on our anniversary. We stayed in the Harvey's loft room with a private balcony, and had a bottle of bubbly on ice waiting for us. Beautiful room, and all the staff were friendly, attentive and charming. Bistro food was excellent. Parking outside the hotel is limited but an NCP is nearby.

Stayed: August 2014
1  Thank John K
Grant C, General Manager at Hotel du Vin & Bistro, responded to this reviewResponded 13 August 2014

John,

With you being so close hopefully we will see you again soon.

Reviewed 5 August 2014

This was the first weekend away my wife and I have had for ages!, although I had requested various upgrades, and they were unable to offer, the room we were given was superb! The serve was excellent. My only complaint is that our room was just above the court room, and although it stated that the court room was closed at 11pm, there was a constant noise from loud individuals until 00:45. We did call down to reception and we could hear him ask the group to keep noise down, to which we heard the reply, we will go when we have finished our drinks!!. Apart from this minor instance I couldn't fault the place. The breakfast was just perfect!

Stayed: August 2014, travelled as a couple
Grant C, General Manager at Hotel du Vin & Bistro, responded to this reviewResponded 7 August 2014

Reviewed 4 August 2014

Just returned from a 2 night weekend stay at the HDV Bristol and it was superb. Superior double room was spacious , nice walk in shower and roll top bath and great air con needed after a day walking round the City. Breakfast is excellent I recommend the Eggs Benedict and the evening meal and ambience in the restaurant was fantastic. All the staff from reception room service cleaning breakfast and evening meals were attentive and always met us with a smile.It's easy to get all around the city from here as Bristol is very compact other than if you want to go up to Clifton. We do enjoy HDV and this one is the best yet. Superb weekend thank you

• Stayed: August 2014, travelled as a couple

Dear David, Thank you for writing such a positive review on us here at Hotel du Vin Bristol. It was pleasure to look after and I am delighted to read that you enjoyed your stay. . I hope to welcome you back to Bristol soon. Grant Callaghan General Manager